MJ: Asafa No Champion

Asafa Powell is fastest - but not the best
By Michael Johnson
Last Updated: 12:05am BST 26/09/2007

Asafa Powell broke the world record he already held two weeks after he failed at the World Championships in Osaka. Powell went into the championships with high expectations from everyone but he failed again just as he had previously done at the World Championships in Helsinki in 2005 and the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004.

Fast but not furious: Jamaica’s Asafa Powell
I watched the world record performance and it was impressive because, as usual, Asafa did not run the entire race, he started to shut down with about five metres to go and still broke the world record, so one would believe that he can still run even faster. Asafa is an impressive athlete, having broken the world record twice already in his young career. But is he a champion? Not yet. Will he ever be? Doubtful!
It all became very clear for me in Osaka. I’ve never believed that Asafa could pull off his best performance when the pressure is on, due to his past failures at championships, but what I saw in Osaka was extremely disappointing.

Asafa has a great start and is extremely powerful. That type of power translates into incredible speed at the beginning of the race and allows him to quickly separate from the field and put pressure on everyone else.

Mostly, this will cause other athletes to tighten or to alter their race strategy, making it much easier for Asafa to run his own race and stay within his own race strategy.

Running your own race and not being affected by other competitors is essential in sprint events. So when Asafa is in a race with the best in the world, like the experienced and professional Tyson Gay, it is difficult to remain unaffected by what is happening in the other lanes. This takes away the huge advantage that Asafa has been accustomed to.

But what I saw in Osaka was an athlete who not only had his advantage taken away by the level of talent he faced, but an athlete who was not prepared to run his best race even before he stepped on the track.

Powell is one of those athletes who has not figured out how to compete under the immense pressure and expectation that comes with being one of the best. Competing against other people doesn’t mean you have to dislike them or display the arrogance and bravado we saw with former champion Maurice Green, but it does require you to have pride, belief and, most importantly, confidence.
In Osaka, Asafa ran the early rounds as he typically does, getting a great start, separating from the field, and jogging through the finish line. Perhaps it would have been smarter for him to have put less effort into his start and drive, which is almost guaranteed to always be there for him, and put more effort into the end of his race, which he almost never executes completely.

Lining up for the final, he had his typical docile, calm, unexcited, demeanour. It was the start of the men’s world 100 metre title and everyone in the stadium appeared more excited than the man many had favoured to win it. More excitement and energy from Asafa might have been helpful. Not for the fans but for Asafa!

Athletes’ actions will follow their thoughts, just like any other person’s.

If you think negatively you are likely to produce a negative action. If you think positively you have a better chance of producing a positive action.

If Asafa had a more positive and confident demeanour he may have produced a more positive result at those World Championships.

MJ at his best, when was the last time he had something good to say about anyone other themself or the other runners under Hart.

Not surprised.

Pretty straight forward points from MJ. Fair enough article. Funny how he finds a way to take a shot at mo in the article lol

The truth hurts but it does seem like an attack since he authored the article and wasn’t just responding to a question posed to him.

He isn’t saying anything different from what a number of us have said or thought at one point or another. :slight_smile:

His gratuitous comment trashing Mo makes clear the kind of guy MJ is.
As for Asafa, MJ knows better than anyone that you never say never in athletics. Based on his own high school record, who would have given him a chance of becoming what he became as an athlete?
Perhaps we should do the same for MJ now and hold out hope that he can transcend his current form and actually become a decent human being.

lol Damn funny

MJ as a human being = a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field, or a snob.

Loved his running though.

Sounds like MJ is jealous of Asafa…

I’m personally glad he wrote it. I make the same mistakes in my masters championship rounds after coming in with the best times. I hope Asafa takes the advice throws away the bones and wins a championship. And this from a world champion and record holder. Thanks MJ

Michael Johnson: "But is he (Powell) [i]a champion? Not yet. Will he ever be? Doubtful!"

“It all became very clear for me in Osaka. I’ve never believed that Asafa could pull off his best performance when the pressure is on, due to his past failures at championships, but what I saw in Osaka was extremely disappointing.”[/i]

MJ is entitled to his opinion. Some will agree, some won’t.

dr sprint - MJ jealous of Asafa? On what grounds? MJ has all the medals plus 2 world records. I think Johnson genuinely believes that Powell has failed to realise his true potential. He may be harsh but MJ doesn’t pull punches.

The only way that Powell can respond is win the 100m Olympic gold medal in Beijing. Anything less will be further evidence to his critics that he doesn’t deserve to be considered a champion.

This famous quote of 10 words, consisting of two letters each, rings true for Powell -

IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME.

What advice?? First MJ says Asafa needs to handle the pressure of a big meet. (To anyone in doubt, that means run the exact same way in the big one as in all other meets, including the ones where he sets World Records. MJ knows this as well as anyone.)
But then MJ says Asafa should get MORE excited for the big race. What kind of advice is that? He’s not advising Asafa, he’s playing to an ignorant public, that doesn’t know BS when they step in it, let alone read it.
Once we’ve wiped MJ’s “advice” off our corporate shoe, perhaps we can get back to the sort of advice Asafa can actually use- race planning.

This is what MJ is up to now a days

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/jun/07/michael-johnson-opens-performance-training-center-/

THE advice MJ did offer in his commentary - below - seems dubious to me. Why would you advocate someone gives away their greatest advantage. If AP gives less in his start, he ends up with less at his max velocity phase which for sure would mean he would have less at the finish even if he maintained his effort.

The other things about AP’s start is that it is very smooth, a seamless transition into the max velocity stage. It wasn’t like Ben Johnson’s start which was an explosion.

MICHAEL JOHNSON ADVISED: “Perhaps it would have been smarter for him to have put less effort into his start and drive, which is almost guaranteed to always be there for him, and put more effort into the end of his race, which he almost never executes completely.”

At least MJ isn’t actually there to give out the kind of advice he’s giving asafa!

He’s probably there when the media comes to take pictures!

How is this different than when Charlie mentioned Ben sometimes thought he needed a great start? When he attempted that special start his race performance was not optimal. Just asking…

Reply MJ Criticism

MJs comments are a attack in order to promote himself and lower Asafa. Ego can be ugly, especially when you see someone out there with the same talent or more then yourself. Wouldn’t be a great if we got behind the best rather then try and tear them down.

A clear distinction exists between what MJ did on the track and the comments that he makes about track. Unlike Jordan or Tiger Woods, MJ is not held in the same class by the fans. I guess we have some insight on why.

MJ’s on about race strategy. He has no clue what Asafa is concentrating on in the blocks.
(I actually knew Ben and listened to him)
The finish is a training issue with the strength arrived at beforehand (in Asafa’s case, from L-to-S, perfected through a sufficient number of races).