Mister C's Training

What exactly do you mean “training like this,” could you be more specific? As far as the weights go, my 1rm are nothing special BP = 170, Power Clean = 165, Squat = 225. I know I need to work on my strength in general, and thats why I do a lot of lifting. As far as accel dev goes, thats what I’ve been doing for four weeks now, but right now I’m changing gears so that maxv is my primary concern with accel dev in a close second. What would you change about how I train? And I appreciate the feedback, so feel free to speak candidly about it and tell me what you think is wrong.

Wednesday - 7/14

In a hurry…

Note: All sprints run in spikes on grass

AM Workout 8:45 - 12:15
Warm-Up
5x40m Buildups (warm-up)
8xFlying 20m (30m run in) 2.57, 2.60, 2.46, 2.59, 2.62, 2.56, 2.66, 2.66
Weight Room
Front Squat 2x5, 1x4, 2x3
BB Shoulder Shrugs 4x6
Good Mornings 4x6
High Pulls 4x4
Barbell Lunges 4x4
Lat Pulldown 4x4
Wide-Grop BB Curl 4x6

ur training is looking good, but it seems that u lack A LOT of strength in ur lifting, and i think thats one reason why ur acceleration is not as good as it should be.
my hint to u to increase ur lifts is to train the bulgarian way (pyramid system) start off with ten reps then work down to 8 6 2 and 2 being almost near ur max (arounds 90%), but start off this way during ur offseason, there is no point in doing this now.

as for core strength, i do various ab work in between all my workouts in the gym, like in 20s which eventually add up to arounds 300 and sometimes 400 depending on the number of lifts, then next day u can do explosive situps with the medball like 10x10 for example. this variation of low intensity high rep work followed by hard intensity low rep work will show u some good results.

gluck, and keep it up!

my retarded internet destroyed my post… :mad:. ok so my thoughts in a nutshell were…your program is obviously built with a solid book knowledge which is what i meant by ‘like this.’ you basically have my PRs from a year or two ago so i think you might benefit from doing a program similar to mine. which was made up of tempo, accel dev, and weights. when you have fewer components its easier to improve. and i dont think your accel dev is developed enough for you to move into maxV. plus youll be doin football, which means a simpler program would be better for you.

ur training is looking good, but it seems that u lack A LOT of strength in ur lifting, and i think thats one reason why ur acceleration is not as good as it should be.
my hint to u to increase ur lifts is to train the bulgarian way (pyramid system) start off with ten reps then work down to 8 6 2 and 2 being almost near ur max (arounds 90%), but start off this way during ur offseason, there is no point in doing this now.

komy, for clarification, would you do that all in the same session with starting with a set of 10 and then ending with a set of 2? Or do you mean progressing over maybe 2 - 3 months from 10 rep sets to 2 rep sets?

Cockysprinter, I see what you’re saying, but I dont want to neglect maxv entirely. So what if I was to alter it so my week looked like this for the rest of the month. My weights would continue to be of the main lifts I have now, and I’m looking for some gains in my squat cuz I feel as if I’m finally getting more comfortable and have my form down. Also, accel dev would be emphasized, but MaxV wouldnt be entirely ignored.

Monday: Accel Dev + Football
Tuesday: Football
Wednesday: MaxV + Football
Thursday: Football
Friday: Accel Dev + Football
Saturday: Bodyweight circuits
Sunday: Off

Just as a side note, if you think my strength is bad now heres where I was 5 months ago.

Feb 2004 1RM
Benchpress = 135
Power Clean = 115
Squat = 145

Look at the improvement…

July 2004 1RM
Benchpress = 170 (+35)
Power Clean = 165 (+50)
Squat = 225 (+80)

that a lot of progression well done! i meant during the same session, eg for squats do like a light warm up using like 50% weights or something for 6reps , then do 70%x10reps, 75%x8reps, 80%x6reps, 85%x4reps, 90%x2 reps and then work ur way back to 70%x10reps, (start back by doing the 90%x2 again) this produces the best strength gains its magic!
results should appear during ur 3rd week it has happened for me
gluck

Awesome, I’ll give that a shot, but another Q for you. How many times a week do you do this for each excercises as it seems very CNS intesive?

3 times, 48 hours between each

Great, thanks a bunch.

Friday - 7/16

Yesterday was my birthday so all I did was show up for football, so nothing special there. Today I felt as if someone had drained all my energy when I woke up, and so I just did some weightlifting to get my CNS working and then called it a day. This way I’ll be looking forward to monday.

PM Workout 1:00 - 2:00

Weight Room
Bench Press 5x6
Dips 4x6
Tricep Pushdown 4x8
G/H Raise 4x10

You should write down how much weight you’re lifting in your journal, rather than just sets and reps.

I’ll start writing down the weights on monday, but I’ll only have it some of the time cuz when I workout with the football team I dont remember the weights.

Monday - 7/19

One word to describe today’s work: horrible:( Utter crap also came to mind. I was feeling a little groggier than usual when I woke up, but I decided to do a longer warm up to prepare for my workout and went out to the park. The only problem was my knees. I dunno if its cuz I just woke up and then 45 minutes later I’m warming up, but in the mornings I feel like I have the knees of a 50 year old man. Usually, I can jog the pain away, but today it was so bad I felt like I was gonna collapse. So I spent about 50 minutes warming up (just to get my knees to the point where I could run)!!! After that, I started my accel dev but it was a lost cause. The pain in my knees caused my hips to drop, form to crap, and all around shittiness. So I called it a day after 4 runs. However, when I went to football in the afternoon I had none of these problems, and it was actually the best practice I’ve had all summer (2 picks, 4 pass deflections in about 10 minutes of offense v defense). I did get some stuff done today, so here it is.

AM Workout 8:30 - 9:45

Warm-Up (50 minutes)
3x40m Build-Ups (Warm-up)
4x20m 3.18, 3.34, 3.29, 3.28

PM Football 4:00 - 6:00
Weight Room
Power Clean
Squats
Lat Pulldowns
Lunges
Group Ab Work
Skills Drills
Scrimmage

Tuesday - 7/20

Today was a decent football practice. My legs were still a tad fatigued from yesterday’s lifting, and it showed as my speed and accleration were both sucking in practice. On a brighter note, I did get a new 1RM in the Bench Press.

PM Football 4:00 - 6:30
Weight Room
Bench Press 1x5 @125, 1x4@135, 1x3 @140, 1x3@ 145, 1x2@150, 1x1@155, 1x1@165, 1x1@ 175 (NEW PB), Fail @ 185
DB Shoulder Press 4x6 40lb DBs, 45, 45, 50,
Jammer 3x6 90, 110, 110,
Dips 4x8 at Bodyweight way past 90 degrees
Tricep Pushdowns 4x6 60, 70, 70, 80
Chalk Talk
Defensive Individual
Defensive Review
Scrimmage

Wednesday - 7/21

No actual sprinting workout today, but I did do sprinting during passing league in the afternoon so that will count as accel dev. I also tried the weightlifting thing that komy recommended and I hope it works, cuz I was damn tired. So tired that I just finished my squats and called it a day.

AM Lifting 11:00 - 11:30
Squats 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
Bar, 135, 155, 175, 185, 200, 185, 175, 155, 135, Bar

PM Passing League 3:30 - 7:00
Acceleration developed through sports-specific work

Friday - 7/23

Been a couple of days, and I havent worked out separate from football since Wednesday. I got some blood work done yesterday and on Monday I’ll see my doc for the results. Today our football team won some passing league tourney at Oaks Christian, and we pretty much dominated, so thats always good. Also, we have our last football practice until 2-a-days (August 20) on Monday, and so after that I can focus on my own training for about 3 1/2 and get better while the rest of my team takes time off. So next week is really when I’ll be kicking it up into high gear.

Dont be too hard on your self . Your 20m times have come down nicely. You were running 3.4-5 now ur running 3.1-2.

Nice work!

Thanks for reminding me. I get so caught up in motivating myself that sometimes I dont take a step back and look what I’ve done.

Monday - 7/26

Well this was the last day of football practice, so we got our equipment issued, got a lift in, and then had a barbecue. Also, our coach had us doing reps of 15 for our auxiliary lifts in order to “prepare us for hell week.” Personally, I think that i dont need muscle endurance in those particular areas for hell week, and that I would be better served by adjusting my sprint work rather than my weight work. So this week will be my last of true sprint training, and next week I’m gonna start upping the distance and reducing recovery to shock my body for some lactic capacity and lactic power training. Heres what we did.

Monday PM Workout 4:00 - 5:15
Power Clean 3x6
Seated Rows 3x15
Lat Pulldowns 3x15
Tricep Pushdown 3x15
Barbell Shoulder Shrugs 3x15
Hammer Curls 3x15
DB Shoulder Press 3x15

Wednesday - 7/28

Argh, I’m so pissed off right now. I just got back from my morning workout once again my knees are not working properly :mad: :mad: :mad: I feel like an old man, and its pissing me off. I tried everything I could think of, but at no time did my knees stop hurting. I tried to run through the pain, but I cant go 100% and it hurts my form. Does anyone have any suggestions? Its hurts all around the kneecap on both the inside and the outside on both knees. The only other thing I can think of that might help me would be doing leg ext. and leg curls to strengthen the muscle, tendons, and ligaments around my knees. With that being said, heres my morning running that I did get in. I’ll lift in the afternoon.

AM Workout 8:00 - 9:30
Warm-Up
4x20m (Times to bad to list :mad: )
Cone Drills

Wednesday - 7/28 (continued)

Heres weightlifting in the afternoon, I tried komy’s recommendation for the squat, but i could only do the first half and my legs were so shot I didnt have the energy to work back up to 10 reps. Also, since I’m lifting at home I’m gonna be doing hang cleans as opposed to power cleans cuz i dont have rubber bumper weights, so those weights are a little less than normal.

PM Weightlifting 4:00 - 5:30
Full Squat 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 2
Bar, 155, 170, 180, 190, 190

Hang Clean 6, 5, 4, 3, 3
100, 120, 130, 135, 140

Good Mornings 3x8 65, 65, 65

Lat Pulldown 4x5 130, 140, 140, 140

Barbell Curls 4x6 65, 65, 65, 65