Mister C's Training

Monday - 6/28

Today’s workout was alright. I had a nagging tightness in my left quadriceps, which I originally strained at the passing league on saturday. I think that hampered me a bit on my runs, but it wasnt so bad that I couldnt train. I realize that I need to eat more/better food as well, so I’ve gotta work on my nutrition in the coming week. Once again, workout was a little later than usual, and I have football this evening from 4 to 6:30.

Note: All sprints run in spikes on grass

AM Workout 11:15 - 1:45
Warm-Up
4x50m Buildups (Warm-Up)
8x20m 3.21, 3.31, 3.22, 3.22, NT, 3.25, 3.31, 3.25
Weight Room
Squat 3x5, 1x4, 1x1, Fail
Good Mornings 5x6
Bent Over Rows 4x6
Lat Pulldown 4x5

Monday - 6/28 (continued)

Football this afternoon from 4 - 6:30. All went well except for the fact that I tweaked my back again. This time it was on the opposite side from my former injury, so I believe I might have been overcompensating a bit too much which resulted in this new strain. I’ve been icing it and massaging it, and its looking a lot better. Hopefully its nothing serious and I’ll be able to keep it from getting worse.

Tuesday - 6/29

Today went well. I used football as my tempo, but I guess I might have taken it to intense as opposed to the easygoing practice I had been hoping for. In the meantime though, my status as receiver has gone up, and tomorrow we have another little passing league thing with a couple local teams coming over to our place to play. Also, I’m considering skipping CNS tomorrow and doing it on Thursday instead, which would be a setup similar to last week, but it all depends on how my back feels.

Wednesday - 6/30

Well I hate to do it, but I took today off. My back is just getting better and I dont wanna risk reinjuring it (for the 3rd time) over one training session. So I’ll take it easy and then go to passing league this afternoon. Now this week’s microcycle will look like this, which is the same as last week’s.

6/28 - 7/2
Monday: Accel Dev (done)
Tuesday: Tempo (done)
Wednesday: Off (done)
Thursday: MaxV
Friday: Tempo

Wednesday - 6/30

I think the morning off did a lot of good for me, and now my back is feeling a lot better. Passing league went well today, and we beat all three teams that came up to our school. I guess we’re gonna have 4 more of these thing on wednesdays with the same teams coming up every time, so we’ll see how that goes.

Its been a few days cuz there were some problems with my computer, so I’ll use separate posts to get up to speed on what I’ve been doing cuz I dont like having to look through one long post fo a couple days of working out, so here goes.

Thursday - 7/1

I decided to just stop my sprinting sessions for this week as I’m feeling fatigued, and thats not a good thing. So I just did my weightlifting that was required for football and practiced with the team to keep it easy. I’m gonna take a break over the holiday weekend, and hit it back hard with the training on monday.

Weight Room
Power Clean 4x4
Push Press 4x6
DB Front/Lateral Raises 3x8
Med Ball Throws
Ab Work

7/2 - Friday

For football today we just had to show up and get a lift in and then we were free to go home. Thats exactly what I did, and nothing more.

Incline Bench 4x6
DB Chest Fly 2x6
Weight Lunges 4x6
Lat Pulldown 5x6
Hypers 3x10
G/H Raise 2x5 with weight
Med Ball Throws

Saturday - 7/3

Took the day off, the only thing that could really be considered physical activity was moving some furniture with my dad (easy) and just playing a little tennis with my sisters (easy). Have a happy 4th everyone, be back on monday with a tough workout I have planned.

Well there are no sure things for this week’s micorcycle the way I’ve been feeling lately, but this is a rough outline of what I’m gonna be doing. Remember, I treat football practice like tempo, although sometimes it does get a bit on the intense side.

Monday: Accel Dev
Tuesday: Football
Wednesday: Max V + Football
Thursday: Football
Friday: Passing League Tourney

Monday - 7/5

Today’s workout was difficult. I was running on less sleep than usual because of the holiday, but I had it in me to go out and finish my planned workout anyways. My times were all over the place, and I guess thats just what happens when dont get proper sleep. Also, the weights werent too great today either, and I could complete the planned number of squats because I failed on the third set:( And it was a weight I normally can manage easily, so after that failure I called it a day for lower body workouts and finished the planned upper body stuff. I guess my legs were just shot from the running, as this is also the most volume in sprinting I’ve had so far in one session.

Note: All sprints on grass in spikes from standing start

AM Workout 9:00 - 12:00
Warm-Up
4x50m Buildups (Warm-Up)
4x20m 3.28, 3.22, 3.34, 3.12
3x30m 4.40, 4.43, 4.19
2x40m 5.81, 5.85
Weights Room
Squats 2x4 then fail…ugh
Good Mornings 4x6
High Pulls 3x6
Lat Pulldown 1x6, 3x4
Barbell Curls 4x6

Tuesday - 7/6

Pretty easy day for football as we have passing league on both wednesday on friday this week, so they dont wear us out. We also had to do some lifting, but that was fine cuz I got a chance to work the opposing muscle groups of what I did yesterday.

PM Workout 4:00 - 5:00
Push Press 3x5
Tricep Pushdown 2x8, 2x6
Dips 3x8
Jammer 2x6, 1x5
Med Ball Throws
ton of core…coach was feeling a little masochistic today

Wednesday - 7/7

Well today did not go as planned (what else is new). As I woke up the inside of my right quadriceps started twitching uncontrollably for at least 2 - 3 minutes. It was the weirdest feeling and its never happened to me before. I figured that it wasnt good though, so I skipped the morning MaxV session and snagged some more sleep.

On a brighter side, I/my team did excellent in passing league today. We beat two decent schools and then we killed perennial title contender (Los Angeles Loyola) 6 TDs to 1. Hopefully this is a foreshadowing of our upcoming football season. Also, theres this one play today that I gotta describe. It was the last game of the day and I was in at WR. They called a play to me where I had a skinny post up the middle and then cut it off and stopped between the LBs and safety. Well I caught that pass and took off, juking 2 defenders in the process for a 30yd gain and first down, but the best part of the play was the crowd. The juke on the first defender was nothing special, but the second one was an ankle breaker with everyone in the crowd giving a collective gasp followed by a universal “Ohhhhh” from the people watching. Gotta say that made my day…

…But hopefully that twitch doesnt come back, and does anyone know if that could be a precursor to possible overtraining?

Thursday - 7/8

Lifting only today, and it was pretty easy since we have a passing tournament tomorrow.

Power Clean 3x5, 1x4
Push Press 3x5
Lat Pulldown 4x8
DB Front/Lateral Raises 3x8
Med Ball Throws

Friday - 7/9

We had our passing tournament today, and we did pretty good. We came in third, losing in the semifinals by 1 point with less than a minute to go. But I think we would have won it all if our best player hadnt received a concussion earlier in the game. Be back on Monday, although I might do some weights tomorrow.

I’ve decided to add something new to my training. I’m looking back at my journal and I realize that I’m not doing as much core work as I should be doing, especially considering I have a history of back injuries that are caused in part by weak abdominal muscles. I think this is because I try and do my ab work immediately following my sprinting sessions and I have a low motivation for doing them. So from now on instead of doing my ab work after my runs (when I’m tired and drained) I’m going to do high volume low intensity ab work almost every night (read: at least 6 times in a 7 day week) before I go to bed. I’ll start this tomorrow (Monday July 12, 2004) with 300 reps and add 100 reps at the beginning of each week.

Here’s this week’s microcycle 7/12 - 7/16

7/12 - Accel Dev/Max V + Football Tempo
7/13 - Football Tempo
7/14 - Accel Dev/Max V + Passing Tourney
7/15 - Off (B-Day)
7/16 - Football Tempo

Well I give myself a self-assessment every 4 weeks, and since the first 4 week block of my training is complete, here it is.

CNS Days: 6/14, 6/16, 6/18, 6/21, 6/24, 6/28, 7/5 = 7 Total
Tempo Only Days: 6/15, 6/19, 6/25, 6/29, 7/7, 7/9 = 6 Total
Tempo + Weights: 6/23, 7/1, 7/2, 7/6, 7/8 = 5 Total
Passive Days: 6/17, 6/20, 6/22, 6/26, 6/27, 6/30, 7/3, 7/4, 7/10, 7/11 = 10 Total

Rating: C-
In retrospect, I’m really not happy with my training. The first week went well but after that I started taking too many days off. Also, I had way too many passive days. For me the maximum of passive days in a 4 week period should be no more than 6, and I had 10. Also, there should be more CNS days than passive days, and so I failed in that area. So now I’m aiming for 10+ CNS days and 6> Passive Days for the next 4 week block.

Monday - 7/12

Today’s workout was a mixed bag and times were all over the place. I think that I need to shift my focus from accel dev to maxv, and so thats what I’ll do for the upcoming 4 weeks. Also, the first 4 times in the 20m were so bad and fluctuated so much that I re-measured the distance and it turns out that those first 4 were actually 21m as opposed to 20m. So for the last two my times were much better, and I finally broke the 3 second threshold. As far as my max v work went, I felt pretty crappy. My times were even worse than the last time I ran Max V, so that issue really needs to be addressed. Here today’s work…

Note: All sprints run on grass in spikes

AM Workout 8:30 - 12:30
Warm-Up
4x40m Buildups (Warm-Up)
6x20m 3.41, 3.19, 3.34, 3.25, 3.16, 2.98
5xFlying 20m (30m run in) 2.53, 2.75, 2.66, 2.56, 2.77 …ughh, horrible:(
Weight Room
Full Squat 1x6, 2x4, 1x3, 1x1, Fail
Barbell Shoulder Shrug 4x6
Good Mornings 4x6
High Pulls 1x6, 2x4, 1x2
Lat Pulldown 4x4
Wide-Grip Barbell Curl 3x8

Tuesday - 7/13

I hate to fire my CNS like this for what will be three days in a row, but I gotta do what I gotta do, and I dont think this will hurt me in the long-term as long as I dont make a habit of it. Here’s lifting I had to do for football

Weights
Benchpress 2x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1, Burnout
Tricep Pushdown 3x8
Dips 3x6
Shoulder Press 4x3
Pushups (too many to count cuz I got in trouble for something and coach decided he wanted “to teach me a lesson”)

mister c, how long have you been training like this? and what kind of 1RMs do you have? i ask because it seems to me that maybe your program is a little less effective than it could be. if thats the case id suggest you take a bit of time to just improve brute strength, accel dev, and improve fitness. it seems like youd be able to use it more effectively, especially with you bein a football player.