Millrose Games 60m

Charlie or any others,
While watching the Millrose 60m, I paid special attention to Justin Gatlin because I was very interested in how he’d perform in his 1st pro race. And he did very well, 6.54(tying PB) as well as beating Mo Greene and coming in 2nd. I noticed some flaws though in his race, it looked as if his feet were way too close to the line, which was a problem T-Mont had also(Not to mention the visible twitch before the gun that was nearly a false start). Is this something Trevor Graham teaches or do the athletes do this by themselves? Also it still appears that he is rolling his shoulders forward when running. Is this because he is too tense or is it just an idiosyncracy?

From what I have seen and heard, this is some things that he is teaching. I know of cues to keep he supposedly uses for keeping the athletes head down during the “acceleration phase”. I have heard that he says to “look for ants” this will prevent you from coming up too soon. crazy stuff.

But I’m not just talking about during the acceleration phase, when he is in full running stride his shoulders look as if they’re rolled forward.

i thought both races sucked - men and women. nobody was executing. everybody was running choppy and short. if someone besides Trammel had exhibited any range of motion it would have a diff story.

it was like the gone went off and then there were a few pushed and then everyone tried to spin. the women’s race was worse than the mens w/regard to technique.:frowning:

This is something that is taught by the coach. I have had the pleasure of unteaching this to some formers.

Thanks for the info Dlive, by the way I love the flameboy gangsta pic!

anytime. Cool that someone recognizes the flameboy!!! World has the best logos.

Mos def! I used to skate and I only rode World. Still have my board too

Did you guys see how awful Gatlin, in particular, looked? It looked like he stumbled for about 3-4 strides. Dlive, we’ve talked about it before, what in the hell does “look for ants” have to do with proper technique? I know what he’s trying to get across but that has to be one of the dumbest cues I’ve ever heard. It should be"look for last". Oh well, I suppose that Gatlin will be very successful eventually since he is a hard worker and a super talent.

Me to LOL! Have an old “We want you” board as well as still riding a pitchfork snowboard.

can anyone post videos of the races on the net cause everytime I always miss the broadcasting or i’m too late.

Originally posted by dlive11
Me to LOL! Have an old “We want you” board as well as still riding a pitchfork snowboard.

haha, yeah I remember that one! I have the one where dynamite is strapped around earth and flameboy is on the moon pushing down the triggering device(with a big smile on his face of course)

Originally posted by Pioneer
Did you guys see how awful Gatlin, in particular, looked? It looked like he stumbled for about 3-4 strides. Dlive, we’ve talked about it before, what in the hell does “look for ants” have to do with proper technique? I know what he’s trying to get across but that has to be one of the dumbest cues I’ve ever heard. It should be"look for last". Oh well, I suppose that Gatlin will be very successful eventually since he is a hard worker and a super talent.

I definitely hope someone informs Gatlin of his technical flaws because it would be horrible if his limitless talent was wasted(like Marion’s)!

Prophet, you are dead right with that comment. It’s not as if Graham took raw talent in Marion and Tim(who ran 9.96 at age 19 or 20 in junior college) and molded and refined them. To me, Marion is regressing. I believe her pr of 10.65 dates back to 98 or 97. Graham is blessed with incredible talent to work with and that’s about it. I’d say a number of people on this forum could have achieved similar or better results with that type of talent to work with. By the way, Graham has done wonders to her long jump even going so far as to talk Marion into taking off an entire season away from the event that he evidently know nothing about. Gatlin is truly a super talent who would probably have done a lot better to stay with Vince Anderson at UT.

As I have spoken with various members on the forum about this topic, it really amazes me that athletes in this day and age of information cannot decipher between good and (really) bad training. This shows you the level of trust that athletes put in their “coach”. No one should feel as though they took an athlete of this caliber to the level they are at, if only marginal improvements were made. I agree with Pioneer that detraining mostly occured. When looking at the workouts given to the camp of athletes, I can honestly say that a part-time youth track coach could plan a protocol better than this.
Not that we have negative feelings toward certain coaches, I just think that each coach and/or athlete should strive to continue to research and learn in their sport. As Clemson mentioned in an earlier post (on another thread), when we all stop our egos from getting in the way of the learning process, many strides can be made in the advancement in our sport.

What happened to Mo Greene??

Is he finished?? I thought last year’s poor form was a one-off, and he was effected by some personal matters.

I was expecting him to be dominating from the start?

Greene looked average. After all of his trash talking, you’d think he could at least beat a hurdler. To much whining about the flinches at the start and not enough running. If he still wants to be considered the fastest in the world (i.e. I’m Olympic and World Champion), he can’t come up with lame excuses every time he gets beat.:stuck_out_tongue:

Whacchuknowboutputtingworldclassathletesonawfulsubstandardworsethanbeginnerwithabsolutelynorecoverydesignedinprogramthatmostfootballcoachescouldprobablyimproveuponandthat’sreallysadyetcoachwillrecieveacclaimjustbecausehehassuperiortalenttoworkwith? It just goes to show you, like Dlive says, many athletes do not really know the difference between good training and very bad and many of them do, in fact, put much faith in the system and techniques of their coach. It’s really a shame and a sham.

Let’s compile a list of greatest coaching cues, as Dlive11 has suggested. Look for ants, Hot knees, increased times, bad training, etc. Sorry for the last two they should have gone under training facts not coaching cues.

Pioneer, as we have discussed, as well as with Number Two, a cue such as “Hot knees” would imply to the athlete to sit back, causing the hips to drop. Gotta love some Front side.