Milk????

What would you recommend for a 17 year old female athlete: whole milk, 2%, 1%, or skim milk???Brent McFarlane, in “Sprinting and Hurdling into the 21st Century” recommends 2%, claiming that the body needs the fat to absorb and transport the vitamin D. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TNT

it completely depends on where you are getting your other fat sources from. if you’re getting enough healthy fats throughout the day and eating vegetables with most meals, you can minimze your milk intake.

that’s true and they both help bone density; i would stay away from 0% milk; you need some fat in there;
if weight is an issue, stick with 2%; but think twice about not taking whole milk at the age of 17…

actually, the best thing you can drink (if in the U.S) is Hood Low Carb Dairy Beverage. Tastes great, 50% more protein, the fat is variable as well (whole, 2%, and skim versions) and best of all, only 3g of sugar per serving (whereas regular milk usually has upwards of 12g). Best bet out there, mixes well with protein drinks as well.

Fat from dairy is one of the worst kinds of fat.

There are very few vitamins in milk… But, there are alot of synthetic growth hormones in there… so, drink up!

LOL

I drink skim milk and my bones are just fine; then again, I do drink 3 4litre jugs a week for a total of 12litres. I’ve never found a problem gaining fat, its the other way around that I have had problems with!

Besides if your really worried about fat and Vit D, have some some cookies or choclate with your milk.

Since she is still 17, drinking milk (sparingly) is not that bad of an idea, unless there is a weight issue. However, if Ca2+ defficiency is the issue, then have her eat any greens, there is a much higher source of Ca2+ there than in milk.

Blinky,

Can you please name the growth hormones that have been found in milk and please quote your sources. Thank you.

TNT

I’ve heard it contains IGF-1 but nothing about “synthetic growth hormones”.

“I’ve heard…” doesn’t sound very scientific to me. With all the other highly scientific jargon that appears on this forum on various topics,
…“I’ve heard…” just doesn’t cut it with me.

TNT

Cows have been given synthetic hormones. I cannot remember the exact reason for giving cows these hormones. What I can tell you is that these hormones might get passed on into the milk and to you! Unless your getting your milk from farmer Joe down the street or from your own farm. I have no complaints about this!

“Caveat Emptor”

If you are referring to Colustrum, I believe that is only in the milk for the first day or two after a baby cow has been born.

TNT- I could give a shit what cuts it with you. Who are you. Why does it matter if what I say “cuts it with you”. That is the first time I’ve heard (damn I said it again) someone use “highly scientific jargon” as a positive-LMAO. This is not a meeting of scientists and I was in fact, telling what I had heard or read. What’s it to you anyways?

From www.notmilk.com

In terms of Growth Hormone

By Robert Cohen Executive Director

= Growth Factor

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) in humans and cows are identical. Like a key fitting into a lock, this hormone is a perfect match between two species of animal and exerts powerful growth effects. IGF-I is the most powerful growth hormone in the human body. Every sip of milk and every bite of cheese contains IGF-I.

“BGH-treated milk is safe because it is indistinguishable from normal milk.”

Executive Branch Report on rbGH, February 9, 1994

“Milk from cows given supplemental bovine somatotropin is the same as any other milk… Unfortunately, a few fringe groups are using misleading statements and blatant falsehoods as part of a long-running campaign to scare consumers about a perfectly safe food.”

Statement of C. Everett Koop on Genetically engineered milk, February 6, 1994

“Five independent authorities, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), World Health Organization (WHO), the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), and ex-Surgeon General C. Everett Koop had found rbGH-treated milk to be indistinguishable from normal milk.”

Monsanto (manufacturer of rbGH) Press Release, June, 1992

"From 1984 to 1986, Dr. Daughaday was the recipient of a research contract from Monsanto Company, a small fraction of which was paid to Dr. Daughaday as a consulting fee.

JAMA, 264 (8), 8/22/90 (Dr. Daughaday, the author of the JAMA publication was an “independent authority” referred to in Monsanto’s Press Release)

“Recombinant rbGH treatment produces an increase in the concentration of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in cow’s milk.”

FDA review of genetically engineered milk SCIENCE, 8/24/90, Vol 249

“After somidobove (rbGH) injection, mean IGF-I levels in the treated milk are always higher than those found in the controls.”

World Health Organization Report Geneva, Switzerland. June, 1992

“Levels of IGF increase in milk after cows are treated with rbGH.”

December, 1990 National Institutes of Health Assessment of Bovine Somatotropin

“… serum IGF-I levels increased significantly in the milk drinking group…an increase of about 10% above baseline-but was unchanged in the control group.”

Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 99, no. 10. October 1999

www.notmilk.com

There is no such thing as hormone-free milk. The healthiest milk from
the healthiest cow is naturally loaded with lactoferrins,
immunoglobulins, s______, and protein growth hormones. In an effort to
provide their children with healthy foods, mothers and fathers search
out products that are advertised to be “hormone free.” Such marketing is
deceptive. When drinking body fluids from animals, or eating their
flesh, you ingest their naturally occurring hormones.

The largest producer of so-called hormone-free milk in America is
Horizon Farms.

Horizon’s organic milk contains animal fat and cholesterol, dioxins, and
bacteria. The amount of somatic cells (pus) in organic milk is lower
than milk from non-organic cows, but it’s still dead white blood cells
and dead bacteria.

Cows do receive synthetic growth hormones to produce more milk, but these hormones aren’t found in the milk. cows recieve rBGH (recombinant Bovine Growth hormone). The rBGH causes the pituitary gland of the cows to produce more IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth factor). A higher concentration of IGF-1 is found in milk of cows treated with BGH.

Leave the Milk for the cows. You’re better off without it.

Check out www.notmilk.com like Superapnah said.

that’s propaganda, honestly you think that the health of the public is their major concern?

Studies showing consistently that just one serving a day of soyfoods contributes to a reduction in cancer risk are encouraging. Consuming one serving of soyfoods is a step most individuals would not find too difficult to take."

“A major study published in the August, 2001, Journal of the American Medical Association found that infants fed soy formula grow to be just as healthy as those raised on cow’s milk formulas.”

“Cow’s milk provides more than nine times as much saturated fat as soy beverages, so is far more likely to contribute to heart disease.”

“Soy beverages provide more than 10 times as much essential fatty acids as cow’s milk, and so provide a far healthier quality of fat.”

“Soy beverages are cholesterol-free, while cow’s milk contains 34 mg of cholesterol per cup, which again means that cow’s milk is far worse for your heart and cardiovascular system.”

“Soy beverages lower both total and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels, while cow’s milk raises both total and LDL cholesterol levels, providing yet more reasons soymilk is better for your health.”

“Soy beverages contain numerous protective phytochemicals that may protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and osteoporosis. Cow’s milk contains no phytochemicals.”

“Men who consume one to two servings of soymilk per day are 70 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer than men who don’t.”

from Robert Cohen, the notmilk.com guy

I’m afraid you have mistaken my position. I am for the drinking of milk.

If THE MAN OF STEEL takes it then so should YOU!