Mike Boyle - Death of squatting

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

Yet another article on a single “make-it-or-break-it” exercise that will be the answer to everyone’s problems.

The older I get, the more I seem to de-emphasize the importance of individual exercises, while emphasizing the collective use of exercises and techniques to elicit improvements over time.

Well said! Unfortunately, it doesn’t create the hype for DVD sales.

CNS Intensive Training? The guy reads Charlie’s book and then takes 15-20 years to come to the realization that he made need to take CNS fatigue into account?

Don’t listen to track coaches? Let’s see…my workout consists of dynamic warm-up exercises, medicine ball exercises, plyometric exercises, CNS management, speed development, periodization, etc…Where does he think this all came from?

Mike Boyle is the same guy that says you should have your foot as close to the line as possible in the set position because you then run a shorter distance and will have a faster time. I am 100% serious about this and he has clarified that he believes exactly that (advocates foot touching the line in the start position!). I’m not sure I would trust a guy with logic like that.

You’re kidding right…? He actually advocates this technique? Wow!

Was just going to post on this; just watched that video. Not sure how much I agreed, but it was interesting to hear his point of view and different perspective. However, I don’t think I’m going to be ditching squats anytime soon!

Cortese, how long did it take you to get back to squatting after your surgery?

Unfortunately, you hear many self -proclaimed speed coaches pointing out the same starting tech for poor football guys…and they even question track coaches…because " they start from blocks…"…yes, we never use standing or 3-point starts…never…

I think the Moyle technique has the foot in the same position, from memory it has to do with getting to the upright position faster.

He actually said that ANY distance behind the line is suboptimal. He said some individuals may go back a few inches without much ill effect, but he wouldn’t advocate it.

Maybe people see why he isn’t producing many guys with great 40s…

~4-5 months with weight on my back. How’s your back feeling?

What a boring rant with no substance.

Yes, MB does advocate this and I think Joe DeFranco does, too. “Why run more than 40 yards?” is their mentality.

Another Boyle gem is he feels you only need to train 0-20y in preparing for the 40y.

I don’t have a problem with athletes not back squatting and/or trying to drive up single leg squat values. I’m just tired of MB thinking he’s re-invented the wheel.

Isn’t the fundamental flaw in logic the assumption that when using the Bulgarian Split-Squat there is no force being generated by the back leg? I don’t think you can just double the load of a BSS and and equate it to a squat. The weight is fairly distributed across BOTH legs and not a single leg movement.

So a 100# BSS does not equal a 200# Squat

Does that make sense?

I was thinking the same thing. His logic is completely ridiculous.
He should have his athletes try pistol squats, I would be surprised if they could do 1 rep with an empty bar.
Elite athletes have used squats for decades. By all means add single leg exercises but don’t replace compound movements unless the athlete has underlying issues.

Yes, and it was interesting that Tellez endorsed it in ads but never had a single one of his own guys use them!! Not a chance!

If Boyle believes the low back is the limiting factor in squats why not do belt squats? What’s he going to do when one of his trainees gets hurts loading a single leg squat with monster weights?

When I first found Boyle I got sucked in to his hype, he sounded like a really experienced guy. It didn’t take too long until I realized he doesn’t constantly change his program because he’s growing, it’s because he has no idea what works so he won’t stand behind or stick with anything.

Depending who you talk to this week I am a genius
or just an idiot. I posted a video clip called earlier
called The Death of Squatting.

The clip is the talk of the internet forums. I
just want to take a moment to clarify. As I said
last week, I did not make this decision on a whim.
I have watched between 1-2 million squats so I
did not come to this conclusion quickly or easily.

I have been thinking about this concept for years.
Look at the definition of the word transducer below:

Transducer- An element or device which receives
information in the form of one quantity and converts
it to information in the form of the same or another
quantity

The conclusion I arrived at is that the back is a
poor transducer. The back actually prevents the legs
from being fully worked in the vast majority of the
population. The act of squatting terminates when the
lumbar spine can no longer effectively bear or transfer
load. I have watched thousands (maybe millions) of
squats and rarely have I seen the legs fail. It is always
the back. As a result, single leg work just makes sense.
Take a minute and read and check out the video clip
Death of Squatting if you haven’t already done so.

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/squats.html

We haven’t stopped doing bilateral exercises or,
lifting heavy weights. We still Trap Bar Deadlift and
Olympic lift. I also think that bilateral exercise is
crucial for beginners. I like the Trap Bar because it
a hybrid. It is almost a squat with the weight in the
hands. You get upper back development ala deadlifts
but, more of squat mechanics. I dislike conventional
deadlifts as most lifters have difficulty doing it well.
The Trap Bar makes it simple. I like simple more
than conventional.

However, if you have experienced athletes and you
want to keep them healthy and get them strong
consider the Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat.

a. Why do the legs need to ‘fail’ to get a training effect in the first place?

b. Here’s a neat idea: how about Boyle figure out how to strengthen the low back and make it not so limiting?

I mean, triceps usually fail first in the bench, has he thrown out that baby with the bathwater too?

Lyle

Straight up?! Wow! He actually advocates this? Holy crap I thought this guy was the real deal until I heard this. Personally I thought he has some good ideas for lifting and training. I must admit he does change his programs alot. I asked some S&C coaches if they played a sport and then did the classroom stuff like me and speedcoach did or were they just the quote on quote nerds in the classroom trying to overanalyze movement. The 1’s that did the sport then classroom I found I learned alot more from and made more sense. The quote on quote brainiacs were smart but as an athlete some stuff I did not like or feel comfortable with doing that they were teaching. Please dont get me wrong there some great coaches out there that never played a sport but for the most part I seem to learn more from the former athletes then brainiacs. Sorry to go off on a tangent but this is very suprising cause Mike Boyle has had some prominent S&C coaches on his website. But holy crap! I’m so glad my old coach taught me to try out the exercise then teach it the best way you can along with feedback from other coaches. Again, Wow!