Middle distance running techniques

I’ve done several forum searches, but I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for:

Can anyone help me out with basic medium distance (1600, 3200) running techniques?

Background - I’m a college s&c coach with some sprint mechanics background, although we DON’T have a track team. I’m consulting with a few local X-C runners, who are working on basic running form - arm swing, etc. They want to improve their sprinting mechanics…

However, A few of them are telling me that their coaches are telling them to strike the ground with the heel/back half of the foot first while running. Is this correct? This goes against everything that I’m familiar with - but to me, anything longer than a 40 yard sprint is long distance :slight_smile:

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

If you are suggesting/advising them to change nothing of the stride pattern and running style, I for one agree. Nature has made them as economical as they’ll ever be.

Nikoluski

That’s my question, actually. These are 14-15 year olds, so I think their technique can be called into question if needed…Should they be landing on the back half/heel? My instinct says no, but I’m not entirely sure if middle distance mechanics are that much different than sprint mechanics…:confused:

Hey just go and watch some races of mid-distance professonals, you can access thousands of races right from your computer. e.g. youtube, just type in a mi-distance runners name and something will come up. See how their foot strikes the whole race and all phases of it. This kind of simple study will do wonders for your knowledge. But for one thing “landing on your toe’s” as i’m sure you’ve heard or even said is way bad.

Austin
In my spare time, I’ll try and check out some runners. Do you have any names for me? I really don’t follow distance running at all…

As for your last comment, however, are you implying that a sprinter shouldn’t strike the ground on the front half of their foot? I understand we aren’t looking for “ballerina” runners, but shouldn’t a sprinter be landing on the front half of their feet?

Hicham El Guerrouj and Bernard Lagat are pretty good.