Med ball Throws

My favorite is the chest throws and over head throws.

I do high reps i.e 85-95 throws “fast pace”

Kenny Mac~~

as far as med ball throws go (speaking high intensity throw such as snatch throws and overhead throw) are they strictly used for tempo or can these high intensity throws be put into the speed and weights workouts for power enhancement.

This is very complicated…

If you are advanced you can do medball throws as a pulse to build a better nervous system every day. At lower power abilities you can do them explosively to support the speed work but the power training should be more olympic lifts or heavy weight training. I will let charlie explain this better.

I heard what you said about richmond but God darn kournikova is hot!

OHBs are good from a ROM view and specific work for a High Jumper (view the “flop”)

it’s ok to do pretty intense med ball workouts in the gpp phase right???

Yes. It’s prob the time when you do the highest combo intensity/vol

Is information on Med Ball throws covered in your e-book Charlie?

There is info in the E-books but much more detail and examples on the GPP DVD.

here’s a great site for med balls…
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/MedBall%20Handout.pdf

What size medicine ball is ideal?

Obviously each individual has a different strength level, but should we be using the lighter balls as opposed to the heavier balls because the aim is to develop RFD?

I’ve just picked up a medicine ball really cheap today at a sale in my local NEXT, the clothing retail store in the UK. They have an ‘ACTIVE’ range of sportswear that explains why they are selling medicine balls and skipping ropes,etc bearing the same logo. Normally I wouldn’t buy exercise equipment from companies not established in the equipment field, but it was so cheap I couldn’t resist, and it is surprisingly very good quality, though they only sell one size- 2.27kg(5lb). Normally they retail at £19($35 U.S) but I picked it up for £6($10). At the very least it will keep me going until I can afford something heavier.

Can I get decent results/stimulus from this 5lb ball, or do I need something a bit heavier?

To make a heavy medicine ball, cheap, take an old basketball or soccer ball, fill it up with sand, and duct tape it. It’s not pretty, but it’s very functional.

when i use med balls i use the heavier one (5kg) after my sprint workouts and i perform 8reps of each exercise very explosive for 2 sets only. on my lighter sessions i use the lighter ball (3 maybe 2kg) and perform low intensity high rep throws, as charlie says tempo work with the med ball, where i perform those with reps of 20 for 5sets . my favourite workouts in those are
chest passes
underhand forward throw
overhead forward throw
overhead backward throw
vertical throw (with deep squat)
russian twists
explosive situps

quickly, where can I get my hands on a real good med ball? I don’t want the ones you can find in most generic exercise equipment stores. The ones I’m looking for seem to be made in europe!?! They appear to be made of some sort of “soft rubber” like material as oppose to the generic ones. I know this is a vague descripton but I’m hoping someone may know what I’m talking about…

Thanks

Those are the Trial bals from Italy. They used to be imported into Canada by a co in Montreal, but, sadly, they went out of business and the ones available now are much harder rubber.

I like nike’s medicine balls…they are good quality and they can bounce so you can usea wall and no need for a partner.

Check out:

http://www.physique.co.uk/dolc_product.asp?ssearch=medicine+ball&PCid=306

I use the 8 KG ball. One of my gym rat friends threw it 25m, he is a discus thrower. I had heart palpatations watching him throw my beautiful rubber ball. These balls are very very tough. I also have a 5 and 6 kg Trial inflateable med balls. They are also excellent.

This might be a dumb question, but if I can’t get a whole set, and am only getting one med ball, for overall use should I get a 6, 8, or 10 lb?

Can you post an address where Trial Balls can be obtained, with prices- they’re the soft ones- the best I’ve seen.

I’ve found the 5kg ball the most versatile (around 11lbs- so get the 10)