Max AND SubMax or Max VS. SubMax?

actually yes. that would be your main constraint and i dont argue everything, i will simply point out a falsehood i didnt say that i didnt talk about force absorption go back and read my post i think youll find your comments void.

it usually is but as mort pointed out it is not always a 400 lb sprinter would have more important concerns. like not having a heart attack on the track.

i take that back force absorption isnt the main constraint in most novices but it works for the example.

ahhh i see how it is now u switch stories, before it was force absorbtion, now its force absorption, what a flip flopper
j/k

but anyhow, so just a couple questions, how is it that you come about that it is force absorbtion that most elites need to work on and not force applied?

I could see if an athlete was getting injured a lot, but without injuries why would an athlete focus on it? And how can you tell if its force absorbtion or force development needs that are deficient?

It would seem to me if there are no injuries than force development would be a better place to look, as you will have shorter ground contact and your force will drive your leg back up?

These are just questions as I really dont know much in this area its not an argument, I just am curious. Maybe these are simple questions, I am all ears.

some of Weyand’s conclusions were biased by a basic flaw:
He took the USA version of 1996 history- that Michael Johnson was the fastest, based on the 100m averages in his 200m over 100m sprinters he looked at, such as Frankie Fredricks (who, historically, had higher speed 10m segments).
When you start off and can’t figure out that the second 100 in a 200 is from a flying start… well… and please don’t get me started on the treadmill!
Weyand does point out the vertical nature of top speed (certainly by feel!) but how you achieve top speed is another matter, let alone how you accelerate to get there.
If you go too far with plyos, you loose the capacity to actually achieve top speed during the training period where plyos predominate, leaving the plyos as the SOLE means to higher top speed for that period. This has been the general state of play in Europe for decades.

As I mentioned earlier, longer force absorption increases the risk of injury and plyos tend to have 10 times the contact time.
Moderation in all things.

i think i you may have misunderstood or i misstated its not elite sprinter who need the abiltiy to absorb force it is they who have this ability and that is key to their ability. remember before you can go you have to slow the stop (im talking in refrence to plyometric action).

injusry is not the only factor of force absorption like i said above you have to absorb the force before you can generate the force and the more effeciently (rapidly) you can do this the ffaster you can get to the force Production side of it. this has to do with ground contact times.
to determine which trait must be trained you just ask yourself what is holding my back the most from achieveing my goal. its typically cyclical i belive for example and athelte learns to absorb force he then learns to create force well the greater force generated usually necessates a great force absorption ability (the force of you pulling down with the hip extensor muscles for example the more force you generate with these muscle the more force must be absorbed upon ground contact).

not having injuries is not a sign that all is going smoothly toward the goal (although it is a good thing).

True, but HAVING an injury IS a sign that you are NOT going smoothly towards the goal.

longer ground contact times are indicitive of a load to great for the athelte to absorb effeceintly. thats y if you do use plyometrics they hould be used progressivly just like you would train with weights. the biggest difference in loading with plyos and weights is that u can overload very easily with plyos but not with weights when u reach your maximum load with weights u just cant lift the weight. when u exceed the maximum (or rather optimum) load training results in inproper and dangerous training stimulus. that is why i have such a problem with a text perscibing depth jumps from such and such height with no consideration to the atheltes ability. and when people use plyos for an extended period they keep doing the same thing instead of progressivly increasing the load via velocity.

James,
in the training programme design you mentioned above, would you consider the individual in question at all?
And would you consider the strengths or the weaknesses as the most important factors to work on?

My point is simply that when doing maximal power work you will affect the bones and joints etc (because you can’t get max power without a stretch shortening cycle). Think about high jump. All most people think about is the nervous system but what are the main injuries that jumpers suffer? Bone and cartilage. So there is a secondary supercompensation curve that must be adhered to and it does not fit in nicely with the nervous system one - you can ingnore it for so long and then you get a period of infoced rest after you get a stress fracture etc… How does this relate to maxing out every day?

What you are advocating has been done by Kenteris’s coach in Greece. Their whole training philosophy is based on the Bulgarian method you mentioned above. To date the jury is out on this method. The 200m program has been arguably the most successful. The 100m sprinters have not made much of an impact but they have performed decently over the 60m distances.

Can you list these physiological and neurological traits?

James give us a practical example of how to apply what you are advocating, this may move things on from an abstract theoretical stand point and into the realms of possibility for us all.

How about a typical example of say a week for a 100-200m sprinter?

“”“I AM NOT ADVOCATING SPRINTING MAXIMALLY EVERYDAY!!! “””

I find this an interesting statement. considering in the post of yours put up by pakewi you said

“the faster you can recover the more often you can train the faster you progress.”

If an athlete was developing physically in perfect march with your train of thought ^ Wouldn’t they eventually be doing maximum sprints every day? You said that there are certian physiological traits that must be in place before intense training like this can be done, but uhh… Can the human body really do that? Convince me. I’ve always understood sprinting to be one of (if not THE) most demanding sports as far as force and power output are concerned.

Also, I really enjoy reading what you have to say, except I don’t appreciate your posts. They are bricks of text. Your last few have been really easy to read, but I beg of you! Paragraphs!

Well, if we’re not sprinting every day, then what could be the next – tightest sequence – if not… every other day? Hmm, but aren’t people already doing that? Nonetheless, sprinting every other day is very demanding too, hence we adjust volumes and intensities, otherwise we would be forced to only sprint every third day etc. etc.

Who else was/is using it apart from Kenteris? And of those we see, do you know how many others have tried it? As a success rate, if you want? That would be interesting to see, too, don’t you agree?

I agree with you on some practical examples. I have asked for this and been ignored…

u must not have read my post as i said you train the single gretes constraint. that could be weighing 400 lbs or the ability to absorb force. it ususally is the later with most atheltes. i dont kno how to state it more clearly. that is trainig your greatest weakness, the one that most restricts movement towards the goal.

the ability to dos something does not nessecitate the need. you wouldn’t go in and max bench in the same fashion everyday or max squat or max sprint. variation is key to continued adaptation. if recovery protocols are correct and tissue is aptly conditioned these aren’t concerns. tissue regeneration can be enhanced greatly by reducing inflamation and creating and environment of positive adaptation. remember inter/intra muscular work efficiency dictate work capacity.

if it works for the 200 it should have a benefit for the 100 and im not advocating a cut and paste copy of the Bulgarian program I want to make that absolutely clear. im only using it as an instance of high volume high load and high velocity producing a type of result.

the traits include but are not limited to absolute strength, speed, strength, strength speed, accelerations strength, strength endurance flexibility endurance, starting strength ect. these can be broken down even further by looking at the neurological aspects of each, for example starting strength is a combination of initial motor unit recruitment potential synchronicity and to a lesser extent rate coding frequency.

im sorry I cant give u an exact program as it would depend on a lot of factors… i began writing something up but I decided not to as a weeks program would take a lot of thought and there are to many variables to consider for a figmented individual.

first off come at me foul and you’ll get ignored. I don’t have to convince you of shit. don’t ask me to do something for you while having an insulting undertone. now no I don’t advocate sprinting maximally everyday. if you would have read all my posts you would see that I advocate training th limiting factor. you train the traits by using tools. sprinting is a tool to accomplish a specific goal this is not always the best way to reach the goal. i never said that there was an infinite recovery ability as its seems you assumed I said. the traits are simple. think about why the body cant train everyday. what holds us back? finally if you want paragraphs copy and paste my post into “word” and make them yourself. Don’t beg favors under the guise of insult.