Matt's opening 60

Rupert, it may be nice to have a topic heading just for results and races across the globe? I’m sure many of us are very interested.

Of course at CF2 we can go one better than the other sites and includes an actual video of the race :smiley:

Anyway, to kick it off, here’s a gif of the men’s 60m at Homebush next to the Olympic Stadium.

Results were:
Men 60 Metre Open

1 Shirvington, Matthew 24 Asw 6.67
2 Smith, Ross 29 Hun 6.71
3 Richardson, Scott 21 Sut 6.77
4 Neofytou, Kris 18 Ban 6.86
5 McNicol, Brad 26 Syp 6.96
6 Jameson, Matthew 20 Kno 7.06
7 Hudson, Andrew 22 Hil 7.08

I thought it may be of interest as plenty of people follow Matt’s career.

Hold on, that’s Kieren Noonan in second place not Ross Smith!

here’s the pic i’m talking about

DCW23

Could you post the mens 100m race, if u have the data

thx

Some calculations i made
60m 6.67
+3.7 tailwind
number of strides 28.5
average length 2.10m
average freq 4.27s/s

Bens average frequency from 0-60 was 4.77s/s, average length 2.03m. ( Soul final)

Matts stride freq is well down in the first 60, stride length is impressive yet this comes at high metabolic cost.

comments

Matt appears to be shoving out the back once upright, prolonging ground contact and, thus, slowing frequency. Also note that his shoulders are rotated forward (Iknow this is the fashion in some circles). This prevents the proper rotation of the shoulders and, thus, the hips about the centerline, and causes the arms to drive too far back, due to the loss of the natural elastic rebound/return effect that would occur if the shoulders were straight. The effect (moving the CG backand increasing arm effort) is to cause Matt to lose ground exactly where he should be increasing his early lead on the field. I havn’t seen a lot of film on Matt, but what I have seen has shown this pattern. Straightening the shoulders is really quite a simple fix, and I’m sure it would yield immediate results.

Charlie, what do you mean by ‘shoulders rotated foward’?

Would this imply that the thumbs are pointed slightly towards the centre line rather than straight up? (eg. hands held in 45 degree angle to the ground rather than perpendicular to the ground)

Matt is looking much smoother than he has since '98. He’s also opened up faster than he has in previous years, of much harder, lnger base work. I think we’ll see some great racing.

By shoulder rotated, I mean that his upper back is curved forward. You’ll see it clearly on the film.

Originally posted by Sharmer
Some calculations i made
60m 6.67
+3.7 tailwind
number of strides 28.5
average length 2.10m
average freq 4.27s/s

The wind was almost dead. That reading was rubbish.

I didn’t get the full 100 sorry!

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
By shoulder rotated, I mean that his upper back is curved forward. You’ll see it clearly on the film.

Justin Gatlin does this all the time as well. I have a picture of him at last years NCAA’s where his arms are so far behind him it looks like he’s going to dislocate his shoulder!

Originally posted by prophet

[quote]Originally posted by Charlie Francis

Aside from any of that, spoke with his coach Michael Khmel today while watching Matt training at Narrabeen, Sydney. He advises that Matt is back to PBs in the gym and has gained 2kg to weigh 80kg now. He looked very explosive and rangey off the blocks this morning, but his training partners (Keiren Noonan, Ross Smith) broke so often I didn’t have any more time to hang around before heading into work this arvo. Matt has a champion’s mentality. Despite opening with 10.59 last week he will be hard to beat for the national title again, although with half a dozen sub 10.30sec runs by Patrick Johnson this summer Matt will certainly have his work cut out.
:clap:

The wind guages ANSW are using have been giving some very interesting results. Although the operators could be a part of this problem.

I have seen most of the races from Pat Johnson and he does look very strong and fit with a series of 10.2 and 20.6 runs to his name over teh last two months. It will be interesting to see what he is like when he comes up against Matt who is likely to be in front of Pat at the 60m mark.

Regarding the “hunch” of the shoulders from Matt part of that could be from this 60m being his first race since May 2002 and him being a little race rusty. Matt is a super talent and as he matures and begins to relax more in his races his times and consistency of performances will continue to improve.

I hope that the 4 months he spent with Linford Christie doing base work will help him as the season progresses. Australian athletes having to double peak every year means that a solid base is often missed. Matt returns to train with Linford in London when our domestic seasons finishes at the start of April.

Originally posted by Speedster
I have seen most of the races from Pat Johnson and he does look very strong and fit with a series of 10.2 and 20.6 runs to his name over teh last two months. It will be interesting to see what he is like when he comes up against Matt who is likely to be in front of Pat at the 60m mark.

100 Metres - Canberra - 28January (wind +1.1)
1 Patrick Johnson 10.23
2 Matt Shirvington 10.57
3 Daniel Batman 10.70
4 Craig Sconce 10.76
5 Scott Wells 10.90
6 Brandan Galic 11.18
7 Aaron Huang 11.31
8 Luke Storta 11.50

From KitKat’s description of training the day before, sounds like this was just a training run for Matt.

Great stuff from Johnson .02 of an A qualifier.

Originally posted by dcw23
From KitKat’s description of training the day before, sounds like this was just a training run for Matt.

Great stuff from Johnson .02 of an A qualifier.

Speaking to Shirvo’s coach, Mike Khmel, Matt’s start is coming around at last and he was ahead of Patrick JOhnson to 40m. By 60m JOhnson had drawn level. And then Shirvo dropped 3m over the final 40m - or should I say Johnson opened that margin which is impressive finishing. This might at last be Pat’s year to be No.1 Downunder. But while Michael and Matt know they have a lot of work to do to bring Shirvo back to where he has been for the previous five years, I for one will not be writing them off. Competition is good for Patrick and Matt and the sport in Australia.:clap:

Pat also ran 20.5 into a 2m headwind on the same day, impressive early season form.

Athletics ACT have better competition structure then NSW this year.

Would this imply that the thumbs are pointed slightly towards the centre line rather than straight up? (eg. hands held in 45 degree angle to the ground rather than perpendicular to the ground)

Would this action provide good hip rotation or should the arms remain perpindicular to the track?

Is Pat Johnson still being coached by Esky Peltola?

Matt S races Thursday night in Adelaide, I’m not sure of the conditions

Event 14 Men 100 metre

Meet Record: m 10.26 1992 Linford Christie, GBR
10.21 WCA
10.28 WCB
Name Year Team Final Wind

Final
1 Ezenwa, Ambrose NGR 10.27 WCB 3.8
2 Di Bella, Paul QAS 10.28 WCB 3.8
3 Shirvington, Matthew NSWIS 10.33 3.8
4 Baxter, David VIS 10.48 3.8
5 Sconce, Craig ACTAS 10.57 3.8