Matt Shirvington 1998 Training Program Prior to his 10.03

Yes, both Pfaff and Anderson were assistants with Tellez. Pfaff methods seemed to have moved further from the source over the years, but I can still see a very strong connection in Anderson’s methods.

Yeah methodically Pfaff does his own thing based on his observations and experience but philosophically and especially technically I think they are very similar.

I have seen much of Anderson. Do you have any workouts or cycles of his?

Sorry that I took so long to get back to this thread. I have a bunch of Vince’s stuff, but to be honest I’m snowed under with things that I need to get done.

My thumbnail description is as follows.

Essentially he uses an evolved version of the Tellez plan. Sometimes they go 5 days a week and others they go 6. There are usually 2 endurance days and 2 speed oriented days per week. He seems to move them around a bit. The middle day of a 5 day week would be weights and pool. Very little ExT, moderate levels of InT that moves to SE/SpE. Weights are done 3 days per week. Lots of work done on sprint technique and acceleration.

For the endurance days, what does he do if he has low ammounts of ExT? Cicruits, Med Balls???

What I have is from a presentation that Anderson gave back in 2002 in Boise, Idaho. That’s when he was at Tennessee coaching Gatlin. Unfortunately I don’t have the schedule close by.

As memory serves they did 6-8x300m with 100m walk recoveries one morning per week. They also did pool work, so I guess you could count that as ExT as well.

Otherwise it was a speed/accel followed, or in some case preceded by an InT/SE day.

One thing that struck me was that he never really overloaded his athletes with endurance training. InT volumes were kept at around 1200m tops.

I’ve seen the accel/speed day followed by a SE, SpE day with MacFarlane’s stuff, before…does Anderson keep it that way for the majority of the year?

The themes seemed to remain constant, but the content would evolve. One thing that I remember him saying was “establish baseline sessions and achieve work to achieve mastery of these” or something like that.

That sounds like anderson general fitness stuff during the summer, his fall and inseason stuff is somewhat similar to CF.

On the one point that he expects the athletes to do general fitness training during the summer, I agree.

I don’t agree that his methods or microcycles share much with CF. There’s no Hi-Low in the sense that Charlie outlines and there is a fair amount of InT.

If you say so… When was the last time you spoke to vince? I have the first couple weeks of his 2007 summer program and its very similar to what you are talking about, i could even post a sample week along with the weights.

Oh it’s been while since I’ve heard him speak. I have most of 01-02.

I do agree that summer is when he expects his athletes to address general fitness.

Go ahead and post what you’ve got. It sounds alot more up to date than what I have.

its always been a technical issue for me

watching him run makes me wince…

mon:
6x100 12-13sec rest 2min or walk 200m
strength train

tue:
6x300 60sec brisk 100m walk

wed:
med ball circuit
strength train

thur: alt btw 200 and 50m
4x200 27sec 4min or 300 walk

fri:
grass circuit

sat:
activity hour

warmup:
jog 800m
str leg bound
back run
marching run
carioca
4x40m acc
dyna mobility 2x10

cooldown:
A:
10x20 marching run barefoot
3x20 abs
static stretch

B:
4x50m sharp acc
10x slj(aggresive)
static stretch

key points:
always warm up and cooldown
always use good posture
acc every run properly
return fit in august

strength training:
mon:
pc
stepups
1 leg rdl
bp
calf raises

wed:
pc
squat
rdl
incline
calf raises

while at tenn:

strength training for inseason:

mon:
pc
bs
bp
steups
gh
calf work
abs

wed:
pc
bs
bp
hyper
abs

fri: non sch
hc
ip
stepups
russian leans
calf work
dards
abs

dec/pv/jav/throws

mon:
pc
bp
bs
gh
stepups
calf work
pullups
abs

wed:
hs
bs
ip
hyper
calf work
abs

fri: non sch
pc
bp
stepups
leg curls
pullups
abs

reps stayed very low and weight fairly high.

Thanks.

The off-season plan appears to be more structured than when he was at Tennessee.

ill try and post some fall and maybe indoor stuff later this week.

That should illustrative but it should probably be a thread of it’s own.

When you say summer, do you literally mean the summer post collegiate season? Or summer as in during the competition season?

Thanks

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23300390-5015718,00.html

IN the beginning, it all came so easily for Matt Shirvington.

He was 19 years old. No-one had heard of him. All he did was put his head down and run.

It was the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur and in 10.03sec Shirvington, the unheralded Sydney teenager, sped his way into the record books as the fastest Australian over 100m.

Imagine it. You are just out of high school and, with next to no thought, you stumble into sporting nirvana. You are feted across the country, and it is seen as a fait accompli that soon you will be the first white man to breach the 10-second barrier.

But as miraculously as the speed came, it was gone. As hard as he has tried in the 10 years since that day in KL, after thousands of hours of training and hundreds of races, Shirvington has never again been to that sprinting paradise.

“It’s so tough to run a high international-standard time and then not come out and find that form again, it’s disheartening, it’s really hard,” Shirvington said this week.

It would be understandable, perhaps even sensible, if he had given up the chase for something so elusive. The real miracle is that Shirvington, now a 29-year-old with a bubbly 18-month-old daughter, has moved back from London and put a successful TV presenting career on hold because he has more desire than ever to succeed as a sprinter.

“I seriously considered retiring, but I thought, ‘no, I will give it another real go’,” he said. “I have put all the TV on hold. This is what I am doing now, 100 per cent training full-time and giving it all I’ve got. The best thing is I feel there is still so much room for improvement.”

During this short domestic season, Shirvington has been the first Australian home in the major 100m races in Sydney and Melbourne. His best time is 10.35sec, nothing to get excited about, but he is moving better on the track than for several years.

No matter what happened last night, Shirvington still has a chance of Olympic selection.

National sprint coach Paul Hallam said Shirvington’s resolve is impressive.

“He is really determined to make the Olympics. It tells you the person he is because he doesn’t need to do this, but he really wants to do it,” Hallam said.

In the quest to unlock the secret to his old speed, Shirvington has looked back to his young self. For two months he has hunkered down in the sports science laboratory at the NSW Institute of Sport, watching footage of himself from his glory days between 1998 and 2002, when he won the last of his five consecutive national 100m titles.

With the help of bio-mechanist Mark Moresi, a former 400m runner and training partner, Shirvington realised he had slipped into bad habits, especially since his former coach Michael Khmel left to work for UK Athletics in 2004.

“The luxury of training with someone like Michael was that he was a readymade analytical machine,” Shirvington said. "He was so caught up in getting things right technically, and I didn’t think about it or care about it. I was at an age where I just wanted to run fast.

“Now I have to figure out how to do it myself and I am pretty much there.”

Moresi believes Shirvington’s long struggle, which included a bout of glandular fever from 2003 until 2005, left his old friend trying too hard.

“He has been muscling it a little bit. Before he was a bit smoother and let it happen rather than trying to make it happen,” Moresi said.

“For Matt, all the pieces are there. Hopefully we can help refine a few of those so he can put all the bits back together and run well. I honestly believe he is a better athlete now. He is smarter, he is stronger, he is fitter. It is all there, it is just a matter of him finding those few little keys.”

Shirvington said they identified problems with his start and first few steps that have already saved him 0.05sec. It might sound miniscule, but it is the fractions that count.

Moresi says it can make the difference between Shirvington having an “OK or a good race”.

“It is a tough sport, it is about ultimate performance, and especially in the 100m it is such a fine line between 10.30 and 10.0.”

In the doldrums and sick for so long, Shirvington didn’t make the Athens team and was only a relay runner at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. But, through it all, he has never tried to make excuses for his faltering form. When he said this week he truly believed his best was still to come, it was worth noting.

“No part of my race feels perfect yet. I know come mid-year, if everything keeps progressing the way it has been, I am going to run fast, I just know it,” he said. How fast? “Personal best fast.”

Shirvington understands some people might be cynical about such a prediction.

There are doubters, but there is also sympathy for the angst he has endured so publicly and admiration for his persistence. He can sense there is goodwill.

“I have always had a sense that people are supportive of me,” he said. "I know there are those who are critical that I haven’t ever fulfilled my potential, but I have always found people want to see me do well and they come out of the woodwork when you put a few races together.

“You live and die by what you do. When you come down to it, it doesn’t matter how many people say, ‘oh he is running terribly and he is never going to come back’. It doesn’t matter because as long as you have that self-confidence and belief you will eventually get there.”

See Also:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23290632-5015718,00.html

Bumping the thread up....

Find the references to fall and spring schedule?
Also, Athleticscoach, found seminar notes?

Thank you.