Massage Therapy

What/where is the best method/place to learn sports massage. Who are the best people in the world to learn from and after learning from them will I be able to become a massage therapist?

Good questions. First of all, I think some sort of apprenticeship with a respected massage therapist is the best way to “learn massage”. Benny Vaughn is pretty much the father of sports massage in the US but I’m not sure if he even teaches any more. Mike McGillicuddy is good and runs an apprenticeship program in FL where you get to do supervised massage work with athletes at University of Central Florida.

To “become a massage therapist”…many educational massage programs in the US are terrible. Ideally you want to go somewhere where therapy is prevalent in the community (Big Sur, CA or Boulder, CO…). I always felt that Rolfers had the best educational background and knowledge of the body compared with most regular massage school students. That being said some states don’t even have legislation requirements on massage so you can just start calling yourself a massage therapist and go in business. Compare that with NY which requires 1000hours, OH where it’s regulated by the medical board, or some provinces in Canada where you need 2000+ hours.

Maybe someone else can add on to what I have said here.

Call Charlie and set up a few days with him. Best investment I have done.

info@charliefrancis.com

You need to get your basic certificate from liscensed school. I did this so I could take ART. You learn a lot of fluffy stuuf, but if your instructors are good, you learn little nuances. It takes a lot of hours working on patients to get a feel for tissue. That’s when you start to seek out some different techniques. I did Soft Tissue Release and ART. Had no interest in anything other than injury fixing types of therapy. Like ESTI said, time spent with Charlie is gold. The man is off the charts brilliant. He has advanced my career leaps and bounds.

I very much like this website:
http://saveyourself.ca/
Written by a Canadian massage therapist. Takes a hard look at many aspects of physical therapy. At the bottom, click on the Articles link and there is a long list, some with great information on massage, and specific to certain problem areas.