Ma Renaissance

I did, but the school focuses on HIT training and is basically worthless (my bench went up higher doing 1 session a week during track than it did during the 2 month period of HIT 4x a week). I did some extra quality stuff on the side, but I discontinued my journal for other reasons.

Well the AD was cool and opened up the weight room around 5 or 6, so I had already gone home, taken a nap and eaten, and came back around 6:30.

[ul][li]Push-ups 4 x 10
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Chair Dips 4 x 16
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Dips 3x Max w/ 3 minutes between sets
[/li]-26, failed 27
-15 (and 3/4, couldn’t lock out 16)
-13, failed 14
I finally did these straight to failure, as opposed to going to near failure and resting at the top like 1 second, which seems to affect the results a bit, but not much. It was a bad habit before.

[li]Bench 4 x 5 w/ 4-5 minutes rest
[/li]175, 185, 185, 185
Took 5 minutes rest of less between sets (timed). Wasn’t too bad. Finished out strong with the last few reps having some speed (relatively).

[li]Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8
[/li]45, 45, 45, 45 (missed lock out of last rep with left arm even though I’m left handed? right arm was fine)

[li]Core II
[/li]This one gets easier each session. Definitely no push over though.[/ul]

Good workout.

Today:

[ul]
[li]120 Pull-ups
[/li]
Done in mostly sets of 6 (I think 15 x 6?) and the rest in splits of 6 (3+3 with about 10 seconds rest). Much easier than last time.

[/ul]

School has been killing me fatigue wise. Of course the school did not open the weight room for the 2nd time in 3 days right after school (opened at 6 and I didn’t have access to the car then). We have a multimillion dollar weightroom/locker room area with all of this crap (along with a crappy 160m jogging track, but that’s another story) and we can’t even get the thing open? Bullshit.

I got home, ate some dinner, and slept. I have had a hard time sleeping at night, even though I have gotten to bed at or before 11 each night. It is freakin ridiculous. I am ready for some rest this weekend. Hopefully the weightroom will be open tomorrow when I actually must use it.

[ul]
[li]Single Leg Squats 6 x 10 (right leg only).
[/li]

[li]Hyperextentions 4 x 6
[/li]-80lb
-80lb
-85lb
-85lb x 5 missing lock-out on 6

Good form on all except the missed lockout! If I would have taken a little more than 3 minutes rest, I would have had it.

[li]Adductor pulls from foot 2 x 10
[/li]30lbs

[li]Abductor Pulls From Foot 2 x 10
[/li]30lbs
[/ul]

Football team got smashed.

Nice training PRs

[ul]
[li]Windmill Push-ups 5 x 20 w/ 2 minutes rest
[/li]
Not too bad at all.

[li]Depletion push-ups with 90seconds rest (after 2 minutes from windmills)
[/li]-31
-15 (had about 100 seconds rest before this one)

The last set I really had to pump hard. I think my last rep took about 5-6 seconds. I focused more on relaxing, focusing, and especially my breathing on these (while still keeping rhythm and speed). My last set I think I took one second or two between the last few reps, but I don’t think I really lost out from doing so.

[li]Chair Dips 5 x 25 w/ 2-3 minutes rest between sets
[/li]

[li]Core II
[/li]
[/ul]

If you can see the time, you’ll see I am finishing this past midnight and I started around 11:30-11:45 (I forget which). Good stuff.

On a side note, I realize why I like the foreign women more than American chicks. $40+ on a dinner (I am in highschool mind you) and they didn’t think it was a nice place! One of the best rated places in the city, great food (Carribean), nice company :wink: and THIS! In Portugal, this would have damn near gotten me a proposal by a Brazilian/African or two.

My body composition is improving dramatically. Adding salads twice a day has done wonders, along with getting rid of absolutely ANY junk (and virtually all processed foods), although I did not eat much of that before anyways (except for my vice, cheez-its).

Today:
[ul]
[li]Circuit 5x through with ~30-45 seconds rest between exercises:
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

-First time I did it 5x through without any extra rest. It was really challenging after not doing it at all last week and I challenged myself with the weights on the exercises in the circuit. Very tiring.

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]13, 10 or 11 (I forget to be honest), 9

I am going to go insane if I can not get over this mini plateau. I figure once I flip my exercises and the pull-ups are done when I am more fresh, I will go right through, but it still bothers the hell out of me.

[li]Machine Rows 3 x 5
[/li]Stack + 15lbs on top of stack
[/ul]

Very tiring, but good workout. Pissed off about the pull-ups, but I have to just keep improving in all areas. My flexibility is still shit, which is probably a bigger problem than my pull-ups.

[ul]
[/li]

[/li]-85
-80 - last rep was completed, but a little sloppy. The farmer walk of the 2 dbs back to the rack (about 10 yards weaving in and out of machines and platforms) hopefully made up for it ;). Felt good.

[/li]30lbs+ (I don’t know the exact increments of the small little plates)

[/li]30lbs+ (read above)
[/ul]

Good workout today. Still fatigued in school in the first half of the day though.

Only one more lower workout left in this cycle! I think I am going to try to use the 90’s for a couple sets (maybe just one depending) and then drop down.

[ul][li]Push-ups 4 x 10
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Chair Dips 4 x 16
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Dips 3x Max w/ 3 minutes between sets
[/li]-31
-15 (maybe 16)

[li]Bench 4 x 5 w/ 4 minutes rest
[/li]185 x 4
3 x 5 185

Missed the 5th rep the first time, damnit. I hit the bar on a bad place and lost focus on the rep. Finish really strong though.

[li]Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8
[/li]45lbs each
Easy

[/ul]

Now normally, I would have done Core II, but this is the part where my workout went to shit. The goddamn football coaches sent people in to get me to come out and watch their intra-team scrimmage! Such bullshit. I asked if I could finish and the answer was “absolutely not.” Over an hour I had to wait until I got my shake and carbs. I am going to do Core II later tonight, but I am still in a terrible mood about that. Great workout otherwise though setting a PR in the dips (fatigue hit at 29 and slowed me really quick). I am pumped for next week. I also had to do 25 push-ups in gym class and 10 pull-ups this morning. I think I am going to try to use the pull-up bar in the gym (where the basketball courts are) instead of the one in the weightroom. The grip is so much better and easier to grasp onto, along with getting the right width. It felt so easy to bust out 10.

LOL… I just caught this… My journal is more like a training log as opposed to a diary. Diaries are always more entertaining!

Today:
[ul]
[li]Circuit 4x through with ~30-45 seconds rest between exercises:
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

Heavier weight than I have done any other time. Felt good to go through the circuit only 4 times and using heavier weight. Liked the workout.

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]14.5, 11, 8

[li]Machine Rows 3 x 5
[/li]Stack + 25lbs on top of stack
[/ul]

Good workout today. I used a different pull-up bar, but obviously it made no difference. Good workout nonetheless. I missed part of a workout for the first time though. I have to admit, I did not do my core circuit II last night. I am ashamed to an extent, but it just was not in me last night.

Today:

[ul]
[/li]-Did these at a faster rate (same rest, but quicker).

[/li]-85lb
-85lb
-85lb
-85lb

Not hard. All reps were clean and completed successfully.

[/li]~32-35lbs

[/li]~32-35lbs
[/ul]

Today:

[ul]
[li]Windmill Push-ups 5 x 20 w/ 2 minutes rest
[/li]
[li]Depletion push-ups with 90seconds rest (after 2 minutes from windmills)
[/li]-33

Another PR for the first set.

[li]Chair Dips 5 x 25 w/ 2-3 minutes rest between sets
[/li]
-Were hard as hell.

[li]Core II
[/li]Not too bad.
[/ul]

Finishing this really late (2:22 right now). Team lost again this week, but they almost made a comeback and may have won with different play/decision making. Score was 35-21 final, but was 28-0 at one point during the first half until they rallied back and scored 21 with the opponent scoring a touchdown with about a minute left. 2 passing tds were called back and we couldn’t pound it in from the redzone twice. That shows how close the guys were. Boot should be off in a week or so!

Today:
[ul][li]Gym class in AM
[/li]50 push-ups from cold (push-up assessment test), no failure. I probably could have gotten 65, 70 if I went to failure and maybe more with a slight warm-up and not on a slow pace (DOWN…UP as opposed to just pounding them out).

[li]In the afternoon:
[/li]Light core:

4 x 15 Swiss ball pikes
3 x 15 Swiss ball tucks
2 x 15 Swiss ball push-ups

Lifting-3 minutes between all sets

[li]Bench:
[/li]1 x 6 145lbs Warm-up
2 x 4 x 190lbs (2 seconds down/0.5 pause/fast up)

HARD AS HELL! I could barely do this. It is apparent that my stretch reflex is very developed and my static strength (I believe that is the term) is far from it.

Dips: 3 x submax (~2 in the tank)

Not too bad. Right shoulder hurt a bit doing them.

[li]Bench Press Incline 2 x 6 (1 down/1 pause/1 up)
[/li]
1 x 5 135lbs. Had help halfway through 6th rep
1 x 6 125lbs. Not as bad

[li]DB shoulder press 3 x 5
[/li]
50lbs. Not too bad.

[li]Circuit:
[/li]3 x through. No rest between exercises. 90 seconds between sets.[/b]
Chair dips x 20
Push-ups x 15
Alternating DB shoulder press x 20

-It was meant to be 4, but my ride came early. I failed on push-ups in the 2nd set. My arms simply could not give any more. I took a few seconds after 8-10 reps (the failure area) before each rep. I was simply not able to put in any more.

Was supposed to do external rotators, but no time.
[/ul]

I have a lot to say about this, although I don’t know how much I will. This was shit. I did shitty. I need to get my act together. On bench (flat and incline), the pause thing made the exercise sooooo much harder than what I am used to. The circuit was ridiculously hard (even though I have been doing harder stuff the last 4 weeks). The weightroom opened late and my ride came early, so I didn’t finish it entirely, but my AM push-ups (I have never done 50 push-ups that were so easy, my arms did not even feel pumped or tired) should be enough to be in place. I would have gotten crushed the 4th time through though. I took yesterday off before I went into the more strength oriented phase of my training (as opposed to pure conditioning). We will see what happens the rest of the week, but I can only hope it is better than this. It is obviously a weak point for me that I need to bring up, but I have confidence it will happen in time, if I get my crap together.

Today:

[ul]
[li]Medball chest passes 6 x 20 against a with partner.
[/li]

[li]Dumbbell rows light 3 x 10 (40 pounds) rest 90 seconds per arm and alternate
[/li]each set

[li]Pull-ups 3 x max -1 or 2
[/li]-16

[li]Dumbbell Rows moderate 3 x 6
[/li]

70lbs.

[li]Bicep curls 3 x 10 reps light
[/li]20lb dbs

[li]Bicep curls 3 x 5 reps heavy
[/li]EZ-Curl bar + 70lbs (35lbs each side)

[li]Core Isos/Pikes
[/li][/ul]

I had a MASSIVE headache all day. One of the worst I have had; probably the worst in a few years. I have been really stressed out about school, well, latin class. Reason being I am doing really well right now in my classes, but latin is just killing me. I need this year of a language for colleges, but I am simply getting crushed in it. Big test tomorrow; we will see what happens. The workout made me feel a little better. I think I could have done better if I did not have this splitting headache; maybe 20 reps without failure next time? It seems very possible as I think I could have done 18 or 19 (that would require a lot of grinding) had I gone to failure.

Today:

[ul]
[li]Giant Circuit
[/li]

2x through a circuit of

[ 3 x 20 shotput right throws
3 x 20 shotput left throws
3 x 20 right side throws
3 x 20 left side throws
3 x 20 underhand throws ]

A total of 600 throws. It was meant to be 3x through, but I could barely move after the first time through and the 2nd time was even worse! It didn’t help the medball I was using didn’t bounce and was about 12lbs. I obviously need to work on my conditioning more. I did this without my boot. My left toe felt alright, at times a little awkward. The only problem with it is that there is simply less flexibility in the big toe. It is at the peak of toe off where I get feelings in it (nothing sharp luckily).

[li]Hurdle Mobility
[/li]

5 x 10 through 5 different walks. All overs, not unders.

[/ul]

I think the latin test went well today. Big AP Bio test tomorrow on chemistry (yes, in bio class; chem happens to be my worst subject by far with math a close second, while I crush anatomy and bio).

Workout was good, but very tiring. I need to work on my hip flexibility!

When I woke up this morning, clear soreness in my lower back, glutes, and hamstrings from top to middle. Slight soreness in traps and deltoids (traps more than shoulders). This afternoon, upperbody soreness is basically gone, but soreness is still present in my posterior chain. It really hit me hard!

Saturday:

[ul]
[li]Incline Bench
[/li]4 x 6

[li]Flat Bench 3 x 8
[/li]

[li]Standing Shoulder Press 3x5
[/li]-115

[li]Dips 4x6 with slow tempo
[/li]

[li]Circuit x 3
[/li]20 chair dips
15 push-ups
20 light db shoulder presses
16 windmill push-ups
[/ul]

On Friday, team lost 42-10 with two big injuries to a couple of my friends (torn labrum and dislocated shoulder).

[ul]
[li]Hurdle Mobility
[/li]480 reps
Was DRENCHED after this in sweat everywhere. I couldn’t believe it.

[li]Core
[/li]
Pikes and Tucks

[li]Medicine Ball Circuit
[/li]-300 total throws out of planned 800, details below

[li]DB Row circuit
[/li]
- 3 x [60 x 10, 55 x 10, 50 x 10] Short rest

[/ul]

The weather was miserable and I lacked a quality place to throw the medicine ball. Ended up muddy and dirty as hell from attempting to throw in this area outside. Conditions became too unbearable and the quality far too low. Hurdle mobility was tiring and my legs are soooo tired right now. When I was doing the medicine ball throws, I had no problems with my toe, even at toe-off, so things are improving.

[ul]
[li]Push-ups 10 x 10 w/ 30 seconds rest between sets
[/li]

[li]Bench Press 3 x 4 w/ 4 minutes between sets
[/li]-205

Not too hard. I hope to move up a good bit each of these push days.

[li]Standing Shoulder BB Shoulder Press 8 x 3 w/ 2 minutes rest
[/li]-115
-125 7 x 3

Was a good weight to work with.

[li]Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 5 (2 seconds down, .5 pause at bottom)
[/li]-45lbs

Good working weight

[li]Dips 4 x 6
[/li]Easy. They seem to only bother my shoulders when I try to do them quicker. When going down a little slower and going up controlled, I feel nothing (actually a good, light stretch feeling).

[li]4 x 10 Chair Dips
[/li]

[li]4 x 20 Windmill Push-ups
[/li]Try these after a long workout

[li]Staggered push-ups 4 x 16
[/li]
[/ul]

Great workout today. Pushed myself this workout with just a little bit left in the tank, at least, for the strength stuff (although the endurance work at the end isn’t so bad anymore, just bad ;)).