Ma Renaissance

My senior season in football has ended abruptly after a stress fracture to the medial sesamoid in my left foot. I am now preparing a GPP period leading into track with hopes no surgery will have to be performed on my foot (will know in 5-6 weeks).

Today:
[ul]
[li]Circuit 4x through with ~30-45 seconds rest between exercises:
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]13, 9, 6
-Freakin horrible. I don’t want to list these numbers, so damn bad.

[li]Seated Cable Rows 3 x 5
[/li]Stack
[/ul]

Overall, this workout was good. The circuit was harder than I anticipated and definitely paid the price for putting a lot into the first few exercises. It is what I need though. Core was fairly easy, but it was a good active recovery between the circuit and my main exercises for the day. Pull-ups sucked ass, period. These had been a weak point for about 6 months now, even when they are emphasized. They were best (~20 clean reps) when I was doing deadlifts regularly. Seated cable rows are an exercise that is fairly easy for me. Stacked the machine. May have to go to machine rows for some more work next time.

Tomorrow is single leg work with my right leg and hopefully some EMS on my left.

Today:

[ul]
[li]Single Leg Squats 6 x 10 (right leg only).
[/li]-this was difficult to get used to, but I could do them well by the 3rd set. A couple of the sets had “11” because I redid a crappy rep here and there.

[li]Hyperextentions 4 x 6 w/ 80lb DB.
[/li]-I am going to do the 45 degree back extention next time. My boot was in the way for the hypers. I feel like I can get more extention with the regular back hypers as well without compromising the strength aspect of it.

[li]Adductor pulls from foot 2 x 10
[/li]Easy, 30lbs

[li]Abductor Pulls From Foot 2 x 10
[/li]Easy, 30lbs
[/ul]

I also did a little bit of hip extentions with my left leg on the multi-hip, but nothing of significance. There is not enough weight on the stack (can do the stack ~30 times easily). The trainer at the school is cool and won’t allow me to use the EMS for any reason on my left leg because “it is not the leg that is hurt” and I can “still do leg extentions and curls.” Cute. The workout was great overall and I enjoyed the challenge of the single leg squats. Tomorrow is a pushing day.

“Feet”
by Frances Farmer

My feet go running.
I think they sing
A song to themselves,
A crazy thing of
“Run, run, run,
And keep to the track.
But don’t look forward
And never look back!”
I ask my feet
“How do you know
That the way you are taking
Is the best to go?”
But a foot can’t answer.
Each in it’s shoe
Goes running onward.
I go too.

They’ll be back soon enough.

[ul][li]Push-ups 4 x 10
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Chair Dips 4 x 16
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Dips 3x Max w/ 3-4 minutes between sets
[/li]-22, missed 23
-16, missed 17
-14, missed 15

[li]Bench 4 x 5 w/ 4-5 minutes rest
[/li]175, 185, 185, 185- Completed all reps successfully, but was hard near the end. Took a little too much rest on a couple sets (barely over 5 minutes, maybe 5:30) because of being hassled for spots.

[li]Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8
[/li]45, 45, 45 for 6 (missed rep 7), 35

[li]Core II
[/li]aka hell. Iron crosses for high reps were hard. Used 8lb DBs first set and had to lower down to 5lbs DBs to be able to perform the exercise correctly. I am going to do Core II circuit style next time instead of just the exercises with short (30-90 sec) breaks inbetween sets.[/ul]

This workout was great. It really kicked my ass, especially my arms. The core part was hard because of the iron crosses for high reps (felt it more in my traps and posterior delt than abs, but did feel it there as well). Overall it was great though and I am pumped about tomorrow’s workout, which is another pull/Core I day.

I’m sorry to hear that you have to miss your senior football season. What position do you play? DB?

How’s the left foot?

I wish you the best of luck recovering.

RB/and free and strong safety (depending on formation).

The foot is improving dramatically. It still causes some pain when you squeeze in a certain area, but not even half of what it was a couple weeks ago. I still have another 5 weeks or so with the boot on. I have been lucky enough to get a bone stimulator (modified ultrasound machine) to use as well. Gotta love quality insurance plans ;).

Today:
[ul]
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]12.5, 9.5, 7-I took a much shorter rest than on Monday on these. On Monday, I was hassled by some coaches and ended up getting 15 or 20 minutes between the core work and the pull-ups. I think I could have had 14, maybe 15 today had I gotten that much rest.

[li]Machine rows 3 x 5
[/li]165, 150, 150
[/ul]

The workout was great. I dragged a friend through part of it today (he died in the easiest part, CORE!). The pull-ups were not bad considering I took 4 or 5 minutes between core and my first max set. Looking forward to my leg day tomorrow. My right leg is still sore in the anterior tibialis (wtf?), glute (for leg leg too, to an extent), and upper quad.

Today:

[ul]
[/li]

[li]Hyperextentions 4 x 6 w/ 70lb DB.
[/li]-Did 45 degree back extention and used less weight. Had a much better range of motion and really work it hard.

[/li]Easy, 30lbs

[/li]Easy, 30lbs
[/ul]

Good workout today.

Today:

[ul]
[li]Windmill Push-ups 5 x 20 w/ 2 minutes rest
[/li]

[li]Depletion push-ups with 90seconds rest (after 2 minutes from windmills)
[/li]-22
Incredibly hard after the windmill push-ups.

[li]Chair Dips 5 x 25 w/ 2-3 minutes rest between sets
[/li]

[li]Core II
[/li]Did it circuit style. I did the bar sit-ups with a dowel this time rather than the EZ Curl bar and it actually felt like it worked my core more.
[/ul]

Very tiring. Gut check on the push-ups.

Today:
[ul]
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

-I used more weight this time on every exercise except the reverse flies (although I probably could have) and was able to keep the weights consistent throughout the circuit and had less rest. I am debating whether to go through 5x next week or continue to add weight slightly.

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]14, 9, 8.
Same rest as last Thursday (core + ~3minutes)

[li]Machine Rows 3 x 5
[/li]165 for all 3
[/ul]

Another great workout. I am seeing improvements in work capacity already.

Tomorrow is leg/lower back day.

I want to keep up to date for myself, my foot is feeling great. It feels almost 100% at all times. I am still wearing the boot whenever I am outside of the house and most of the time inside. I will be seeing the doc in 3 or 4 weeks I believe and see from there if I have to do anything else. The bone stimulator has been working great.

Today:

[ul]
[/li]-May have done 7 sets. The guy I was having count (he was doing squats) did one extra so I probably did as well.

[/li]

[/li]30lbs

[/li]30lbs
[/ul]

[ul][li]Push-ups 4 x 10
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Chair Dips 4 x 16
[/li]90 sec rest

[li]Dips 3x Max w/ 3 minutes between sets
[/li]-26, missed 27
-14, just couldn’t lock out 15
-14, missed 15

[li]Bench 4 x 5 w/ 4 minutes rest
[/li]185 x 3 (WTF!)
165 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 4 (WTF!)

[li]Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8
[/li]45, 45, 45 for 7 (missed 8), 45 for 6 (missed 7)

[li]Core II
[/li]Tried to make up for the poor end of my workout by really working hard on core and getting basically no rest between exercises. Really worked me today. [/ul]

I’m really pissed off about my shitty job on bench and on shoulder press. I think last time I took a bit more rest before I did bench press and inbetween sets, but that is still no excuse for that level of performance. I think I lost my focus there. On a positive note, my max dips are up from last week, at least, for the first set. I think I took a little more rest on those last week as well. I now have a stopwatch though so this should no longer be an issue. Still pissed about the damn bench press.

Today:
[ul]
[li]Circuit 4+1x through with ~30-45 seconds rest between exercises:
[/li]Wide Lat Pulls x 20
Bicep Cable Curls x 15
Dumbell Rows x 12
Rear Lateral Raise x 10
Dumbell Shrugs x 10

[li]Core Circuit I
[/li]

[li]3x Max Pull-ups
[/li]-12(.5)

[li]Machine rows 3 x 5
[/li]150, 150, 150
[/ul]

I went through the circuit 5 times (and lat pull downs 6) because after my first time through and my second time on lat pulls downs, I was yelled at by a few of the football coaches for not being part of the practice, even though I am out for the season :rolleyes:. Instead of working my ass off, I should be out there watching them get yelled at for screwing up. Great idea. I started over and went through the circuit 4x and really worked hard on the lat pull downs. I was disappointed in the pull-ups, but it was expected after the heavy lat pulls downs 6x. Workout = B.

[ul]
[/li]

[/li]-Very easy. Time to move up in weight.

[/li]Easy, 30lbs

[/li]Easy, 30lbs
[/ul]

Tomorrow up push.

Today:

[ul]
[li]Windmill Push-ups 5 x 20 w/ 2 minutes rest
[/li]
These were much easier this week and I was able to perform with form that did not diminish too much throughout the sets.

[li]Depletion push-ups with 90seconds rest (after 2 minutes from windmills)
[/li]-22
I wanted to beat my number of 22 last week, but was just pooped.

[li]Chair Dips 5 x 25 w/ 2-3 minutes rest between sets
[/li]

[li]Core II
[/li]Tough because I took no more than 30 seconds rest between exercises or sets through the circuit.
[/ul]

Today:

[ul]
[li]120 Pull-ups
[/li]
These were not as hard as I thought it would be. It took 12 minutes to get 60 done and by 20:45 I had 90 done. Finished in just under 30 minutes. Not that tired, but a big pump in my: forearms, biceps, lats. In that order.

[li]Core I
[/li]
[/ul]

On a side note, I think Scarface and myself are competing for the dryest journal ;).

Keep it up! Livestrong are you reading? Labor day and he is doing hard labor.

Did you do any weightlifting in preparation of the upcoming football season?

Today:

[ul]
[/li]-These are becoming too easy.

[li]Hyperextentions 4 x 6
[/li]-75lb
-75lb
-80lb
-80lb

Had comlete extention and good form on all reps Felt pretty easy even with relatively short rest.

[/li]~32-35lbs

[/li]~32-35lbs
[/ul]

Today was also the first day of school. I was incredibly hungry right before I trained (it hit me at about 2:00), so I will need to bring some more food tomorrow. Classes are alright, despite not any hot b’s for the most part. Stretching and some studying tonight.