LSU Wk 1

It took me a hard time to actually believe this until I saw it myself. I have said it before, in that I have trained with guys who had the following PRs:

Guy A: 9.9 100m

Guy B: 10.1 100m,

Guy C: 10.2, 20.5 <-HSI wanted this guy.

Guy D (ran for UCLA): 10.3

I have also trained with Angela Williams and other fast girls and NEVER saw them bench or squat crazy weight.

Anyhow, for the guys listed above I never saw them bench over 225 and I have never seen them squat over 315. All the guys are around 175-180, are from 5’11-6’2 and have long legs.

Here I will post a pic of ONE of them.

It’s the dude on the right with the white shorts. That’s my dawg…lol Yes he looks strong but it’s all hypertrophy.

Did they visit Michigan State? :cool:

Let’s talk about guys who don’t have ideal sprinter stats, similar to James RB - guys who may be 5’5-5’8, 170-195. These types of sprinters must be weight room strong if they want to compete with athletes who are 5’11-6’2 160-185.

I don’t work with football any longer (only did that as a high school coach) but from what I’ve seen and heard, exactly as James says, very few football programs conduct what we would refer to as speed work. The work lacks full recovery so generally only the first rep could generally be considered as speed.

That’s good to know that they do speed work; however, I’ve seen more than my share of ‘experts’ with a stop watch so take all those linebackers running 4.2’s and 4.3’s with a grain of salt.

As far as the weights go, I’m proud to say that my guys only squat heavy if they feel like it (RE Charlie- they use whatever they have left in the glass of CNS reserves following alactic field work) and while most don’t push it too hard too often on the squat- the strength is there.

Regarding my 4th team guys, rest assured that they are optimally trained like the rest.

Stop in for a visit when you get a chance and see for yourself.

These times were taking from Jr day by nfl scouts…

I don’t think he made it into Michigan

Why wouldn’t you be impressed with both? If results don’t impress you than what does? :confused:

Like I said I’ve seen my share of ‘experts’. In my experience at all of our pro days and this past combine I’ve observed that scouts, coaches, and the like tend to vary by as much as 2 tenths when timing the same runner.

You can only trust and compare yourself to yourself with a stopwatch and we can’t intelligently compare different players unless FAT timing is used; and let’s not hold our breath on that one.

Wow, no different then LSU football strength and conditioning program. A program that does tempo 110’s damn near every single day, guess that’s ok since they won a national championship??? :confused: The lsu track program get the best talent in the nation, when you are doing 2x10 for snatch I gotta take away points for that. :eek: As a coach you must progress with the time, leave the stone age shit alone.!!! :rolleyes: James can agree with the lsu football program.

As we all know, it only matters what the scouts stopwatch says. Most scouts at the combine only record what they have on there stopwatch…

You are correct as far as what that team’s perception is of a players speed.

You and I, however, are not discussing the science fiction that occurs at pro days and the combine.

True speed is the context and, as T&F figured out long ago, it isn’t worth talking about in conditions other than FAT or in the case of one of us comparing our own hand held results against our own hand held results…

I’m confused…What does LSU football have to do with LSU track?

LSU and TxAM both get the some of the best recruits. Why does old (“stone age”) mean bad!?!? If you have a system that works and that system involves 2X10 snatch then more power to you. “Old” is not a reason to change one’s training.

RG

Let’s get one thing straight about speed training for football. Most football strength and conditioning programs are doing 10’s-20’s-30’s on grass-in cleats-while wearing big baggy shorts vs track guys who may wear tights-spikes-track surface. When doing 10-30’s in the football condition you may only need 30-90sec of rest vs 60-180 in the track condition.

I think Charlie would say they are probably loaded down with CNS work from sprints (maybe even more than an average athlete like me because they have a much greater ability to burn their CNS through sprints) and all they have left is what you see them use in the weight room. Plus, sprinting is not a absolute strength sport so is there really a need to prove that they can express absolute strength in a 1rm…

Also it’s not like Tyson or Powell can’t bench 275-300 or so if they had to max out which is good for an athlete that does not have a huge requirement for absolute strength. Sure there are footballers who lift more, their sport requires a large amount of absolute strength at most positions.

One thing I go back and forth on in my head is whether lesser talented, average speed athletes should work more on strength and heavier weights than the gifted world class we are discussing. On one hand I think they should do pretty similar training to the world class guys realizing their results will fall in line with their natural talent anyway.

Because you are comparing results vs training. Lsu football does shitty training and get great results on the field so does that make the training great? If Michigan State or Michigan wins a championship on the football field will it make there training great? CFTS had sets of 10 for ol’s but I think Charlie changed with time as he learn that wasn’t the best way to do things.

What’s wrong with change? James had a system that worked 5-10yrs ago but he is much different today.

As Charlie once said, the lower level athlete can push the weights harder since they can’t tax the system as hard on the track vs elite sprinters.

What I was thinking. Figured I had read Charlie say that.

Your points are noted, however, lets just say if they were given time away from sprinting, none of the guys I saw could would be able to put up no more then 275 max. This is a FAR way from 450bp Ben did.

As far as your last statement, I believe the best thing a young player needs to do is just play his/her respective sport and as the body gradually matures,if you’re a good coach, you should be able to tell what areas you need to work on along the way. This takes into the account that everybody is different.

Not necessarily, look at Houston Mctear. He was only 5’7.

Anyhow, I do believe that a long legged sprinter can get way with doing less weight room work. Which, in a way, is the opposite of what you think rb34