LSU Wk 1

http://www.snelkracht.nl/html/net-articles/mo_greene.html

Maurice Greene’s Training regimen

Mark, this has got to be In-season training, cuz its very similar to Ato’s inseason…not to much recovery wise for strength base training. For Mo’s off season, I would split this over 3 days.

Tues and Thurs…Upper Body (no more than a minute rest between sets)

[ul]
[li]Bench Press…5 X 10, 8, 6, 6, 6
[/li][li]Incline DB Press…3 X 15
[/li][li]Rear Delt DB Flyes…3 X 15
[/li][li]Straight-Arm-Front DB raises…3 X 10
[/li][li]Arm Running motion with DBs…4 X 4 (15 lbs, 10 second burst, 30 sec rest)
[/li][li]Dumbell Curls…3 X 15 (45 lbs, alternating arms)
[/li][li]Lat Pull Downs…3 X 10 (wide grip)
[/li][li]Dumbell Shrugs…3 X 10
[/li][/ul]

Mondays and Fridays…Lower Body

[ul]
[li]Squats…4 X 10, 8, 6, 3 (each rep is held at the bottom for 5 seconds, then explodes up)
[/li][li]Power Cleans…5 X 3 (start at bottom in deadlift position, snatch BB up top chest, drop the BB back down on floor)
[/li][li]OR, Clean/Front Squats…5 X 5 (start same as power clean, snatch weight to chest, then squat. Dont do squats or cleans when including this exercise)
[/li][li]Single Leg Curls…3 X 10
[/li][li]Single Leg Extentions…3 X 10
[/li][/ul]

Drive Phase Training: Fridays, after weight room and track.

[ul]
[li]Run stadium steps
[/li][li]Hop Up stadium steps (run down)
[/li][li]Lunge stadium steps (lung 2-3 steps at a time, run down)
[/li][li]Bounding (8 hurdles)
[/li][li]Sandbox bounding
[/li][li]Striding (3 sets of 30 strides)
[/li][/ul]

Wed: no weight room; Track only work.

Heres Mo’s Meal schedule Mark

[ul]
[li]Breakfast-9 am, oatmeal, protein drink with fruit
[/li][li]AFter Weight room-12:30 pm protein drink
[/li][li]After Track-3 pm, protein drink
[/li][li]Dinner-6 pm, chicken breasts, veggies
[/li][li]Desert-Protein drink
[/li][li]before bed-10 pm, protein drink.
[/li][li]*Mo only eats 2 squares a day…ideal for sprinter, plus supplementing with plenty of protein.
[/li][/ul]

some good quotes from John Smith “…sprinters need a lot more muscle than long distance runners…the shorter the dash, the more muscular the runner needs to be…” Smith immediately started Greene in the weight room to add the needed muscle to carry him to the world class level. Maurice came to HSI at 155, and now weighs about 175. “…one of the primary purposes of weight training for sprinters is to train the nerveous system to produce power while still experiencing fatigue… more body strength, power and bodyweight is REQUIRED to propel the body forward and sustain the speed across the finish line…”

This article is one of the best on Greene that I have seen in a long time. great training pics and good 3-4 page article. I’ll get back to you on MJ’s if you want later on Mark. To much to go into on this message. Hope this helps…remember, dont follow this unless you’re in season. Use this routine on a 2 on-2 off split, or a mon, wed, fri weight room split for base strenght trainging. And do track work on tues, Thrus, and Sat. Or split it up by doing track work on upper body days. I can give you MY workout split if you like Mark. Mine is more suitable for me, but I’d be willing to go over it with you.

So…back to the original programming. What’s the heaviest the go % wise all season for power clean, squat, bench?

I haven’t had time to view all 40+ weeks but it seems like 225 for squats, 340’s 1/4 squats and cleans 220’s. First 9 weeks squats didn’t go over 215 and speed squats starts at 8 or 9.

Day 2		

Rep Jerk (1-5) 2x5 @ 165
(1-3) 3x3 @ 179

Snatch 3x2 @ 206

Squats 1/4 2x8 @ 312
1x6 @ 322
1x5@ 332

Clean & Jerk (1-1) 3x3 @ 156

Bench 1x8 @ 193
1x8 @ 206
2x5 @ 220

Squats Deep 4x6 @ 220

Shit, all gpp and spp never went over 225 in the squats but it does say deep squats. I’m curious does all the ol’s and other lower body movements makes up for the lack of squat weight?

It seems like every time you hear about some pro sprinter’s weight program it it is like this. Lighter than you may think but their strength is still very good.

Dude…Asafa and Bolt have starts as good as BJ, Mo, Dwain etc. I know all the talk about harder tracks yada yada, bottom line is the times are typically the same or better.

WTF are you talking about lazy in the gym?
Sure sometimes these guys don’t feel like busting their ass in the gym.
Just maybe the weights follow the speed and they have learned to self regulate their capacity.

Once I get more time, I will break down the workouts a little more. Don’t know what to think about the workouts 2x10 on cleans??

Yeah you don’t hardly see that in old school workouts.

We all talk about how poor D1 football SC training is, what about lsu workouts - is it the athletes or workouts?

LSU BODY BUILDING TRAINING - SPRINTS/HURDLES
Instructions: 30 continuous repetitions with light weight in approximately 40 seconds
Set your beeper watch on 40 seconds for exercise / 20 seconds for rest

These circuits are very similar to what we have seen but with slightly different movements etc.

If you take 44 steps in 100m would it be more appropriate to work to max strength for 22 steps/reps per leg.

U R a clown!!!

According to Pluto or what.

according to the 12 members of the Jedi council!

Are they all from Australia? Where all the sprinters are hiding.

Instead of bully boy tactics try explaining why I am wrong.

Have a look at the attached site, Ron Laura was the strongest man in the world at powerlifting a while back. I have had athletes win Aust age titles and one disabled athlete won a World title using his progs. They all went to Aussie coaches who called me a clown just like you and guess what? they didn’t get any faster.

http://www.dr-ronlaura.com/about.html

I exchanged a few PMs with PJ a few years back and he mentioned that some of his best sprinters on his crew are not doing crazy numbers either. NOT to discount lifting but it seems that not everyone needs to lift crazy numbers to run fast. I know PLENTY of 11 sec guys that can bench 315+ and squat 405+ and run the same thing year in year out.

Seems like the norm…they will have really good strength but not freaky unachievable for most levels.

Agreed and this was discussed recently in another thread-the lack of need of huge numbers to be very successful. Now, unfortunately, someone will interpret that as meaning the lifting serves no purpose in a developmental sense either which is exactly the wrong take home message. Just because the weight maxes are not as high for sprinter A vs. sprinter B or relative to athletes in other sports does NOT mean sprinter A did not derive some benefit from such training.

If they improved THEIR numbers to the point where their strength/power ouputs were higher and could be manifested in the sprinting itself then it did play a role. Naturally, like most general methods, there is a point of diminishing returns but even in that case a maintenance of such qualities can often allow for other abilities to improve.

Maybe read all the posts on this forum and you might know why!
The nature of the coaching and hierachy beast in Aust is to acquire the best athletes to justify their jobs. I myself have coached national jnr champs in sprints/jumps and hurdles, coached snr national winners and coached a masters world champion in varied events. And true the good athletes were acquired from me (all went backwards). Some were offered OAP funding to leave.
The 22 rep theory is like saying a 110mH guy should do the same principle but add a jump squat or fwd lunge every 4th rep.

Either that or for lower body strength make more use of the track.