LOOSING WEIGHT WITH SPRINT TRAINING

HEY ALL, I AM THE NEW GUY TO THIS PLACE. I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED SPEED, BUT NEVER TRAINED FORMALLY. ALTHOUGH I DID USE TO DO SOME 40S, 100S, 200, AND 400S SPRINTING FOR MYSELF. I JUST FELT GRATE FROM IT.
ANYWAY, HERE IS MY QUESTION. I AM 5’8, 300LBS, USED TO DO A LOT OF POWERLIFTING WITH THE WIEGHTS AND THE FOOD. I AM NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO LOOSE SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT/FAT. AND I AM TRYING TO START TO INCORPORATE TRACK TYPE DRILLS AND SPRINTING DISCIPLINE INTO MY FAT LOSS/ EXCERCISE ROUTINE THAT I HAVE STARTED.
I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOUR IDEAS MAY BE ON SUCH A SUBJECT. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS

Check out just 1 or 2 or John Berardis articles.
Don’t try and read them all if you are starting out - it’ll kill you with complexity.
Just read the titles and pick 2 articles that are what you want and read them in detail and stick to them.
Trust me it will be the best way to get started - as the guys say - start with nutrition and then the exercise.

Begin by doing a search on here for “tempo runs” and go from there before you try to incorporate a heavy duty sprint regimen into your training.
You’ll find the general fitness you acquire with the tempo should help with the weight loss.

also please do not type in all CAPS it makes it hard to read.

One caution I would like to throw out is to be very conservative with the volume of running. I agree to start with the tempo work first. My main concern is the impact stress on your joints due to your body weight. If you were, e.g., a football player, I wouldn’t be as concerned because you’re body would already have some sort of adaptation to running at that weight. But since you’re pretty new to it, be very cautious for the sake of your joints until you start to adapt and reduce your weight.

I think a maximum of 1000m total of tempo running is a good starting point.

I think rather than focusing on volume heart rate may be a better indicator since hes starting out and being cautious.
thought?

Heart rate should also be watched, but I figured that was the more obvious concern and didn’t need to be pointed out. I think impact stress is often overlooked with heavier athletes.

sorry about the caps. thanks, i appreciate the advice and i am glad to have found this site.

Welcome. The best way to use this site would be to use the search feature at the top left of your screen. If you do not find what you are looking for feel free to post any questions you have and if it was covered and you misssed it we will happily direct you to the thread.
good luck with your training! Keep us posted.

DOUGHBOY, Are you in anyway related to Fudgie??? (p.60 Speed Trap) but seriously though, welcome to the site.

Do the runs on soft grass Doughboy

wouldn`t treadmill first at gym be his best option? Slow walk, soft jog etc?

Doughboy, if your joints end up being a problem then you SHOULD definetly incorporate Water (pool) workouts. This exercise incorporates all-direction resistance and b/c of this it is far more intense than doing a tempo workout. This is by far a workout that most athletes/coaches fail to incorporate into their training regimen, unless their injured, this is a flaw in my opinion.
Also, remember since your interest is in losing weight your concern should be in VOLUME of work and not focus as much on intensity, since fat sources for fuel is primarily used during lower intensity exercises.
Then as you begin to adapt more and more you can begin to increase your intensity but keep your volume the same then steadily increase it.

Cheers :clap:

Another good web resource for you is www. testosterone.net if you haven’t found it yet.

the number 1 thing for you right now is to get your DIET straight. check the nutrition board, and if you have any questions just ask. good luck

In brief, volume of training and intensity of training promotes lean muscle mass.

I don’t think this is necessarily true kevin. People have pointed out that the body needs to burn calories for recovery from high-intensity work.

I agree with ESPN… as far as weight loss goes, the battle is going to be won or lost at the table.

With that said, the purpose of sprint training is to get faster- not to burn calories. If you goal is just to lose weight, then what’s the point of incorporating short sprints with long recoveries in between? If you want to sprint, do it because you like sprinting.

no matter what type of exercising you do, its all going to fail unless you are able to maintain a clean diet. I’d start out with writing your entire caloric intake down in a journal, it makes things more visual and gives you a good starting point to start cleaning up.

Try to lose 1-2 lbs a week rather then 10+ the weight will stay off longer and you will see healthier results that last longer.

where did you find this article? its yrs old…
2003, its now 2006. and the original guy has posted only 2times.