Looking for some basics

Hello Everyone,

First, I just want to say what an outstanding resource this forum is.

Here’s my story. I’ve always been fasinated with sprinting. I was a three sport athlete in high school, pretty successful, but always felt like I had potential to be a far better sprinter than I was. Looking back, I know that I had very poor coaching. I ran a personal best of 11.5 in 100 meters. I led every race I can remember for 50 meters, but then the field would reel me in.

I am 25 now, and on a whim decided to get involved in track and field. I did some very basic max velocity and acceleration training for about 6 weeks before entering an open 3 weeks ago. I ran a 55 meter dash in 6.7 and long jumped 22’1’’. The long jump was 18 inches better than my PR in high school.

I am now training for an open outdoor meet in May. I want to run the 100 m. I had a friend hand time me at 11.1. My goal is to run a sub 11 electronic.

I guess my main questions for all of you are:

1. Why have my performaces increased after 7 years of relativly no training?

2. What would you recommened as a basic speed program that will get me the best results in about 8 weeks.

3. I have established a good base in my squat using 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. 1 rm about 350 lbs. How should I approach getting peak results from a strength perspective in order to peak by about the end of april?

Thanks

i can only answer number 1 - you’re an adult now, and you’re body is fully developed, compared to when you were a teenager and had not finished growing and maturing.

I have uploaded some video of me training this past January for my last indoor meet.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2018621399

I am currently training for my next meet (May 4). I am trying to address alot of issues. For one, my footstrike is very out-toed. I researched this on this site and I found that this could be due to poor hip flexibility (which I think is my problem) and hamstring strength imbalance. I am addressing both of these issues currently.

The first part of the video is off me doing some flying sprints. Please tear apart my technique.I have never gotten any feedback on my form.

My 100 meter performance does not seem to match my explosive measurements. Hear is a list of some of my measurables. All sprints have been hand timed many times and the times I listed are what I get consistently.

30 meter: 3.85
Vertical Leap: 35 inches
Standing Long Jump: 10 ft 2 in
Flying 20 meter: 2.10
100 meters: 11.4-11.5
Squat: approx 360 lbs
Weight: 183

Please help

I suggest you invest in Charlie’s GPP DVD and follow the basic template in that but with a reduced volume. Given your time away you are basically a beginner and should see your best gains with that at this stage.

Who’s the little kid following you around everywhere? :slight_smile: I wish I had such company during my sessions!

I’ll leave all the expert comments for others, I just want to caution you in training on sidewalks too much. I know you just started and your legs probably feel like they can train on any surface they want, but it might hinder you in the long run, especially if you train consistently and intensely. I started track relatively “old” as well, at 20, training on crappy surfaces, and after only 3.5 years have history of shin splints, 4 stress fractures, and two knee injuries :rolleyes:

I understand the snow circumstances too! That’s what my winter looks like where I live :wink: Find the closest indoor track around for your speed sessions (even driving several minutes is worth it!). Your legs will be thankful in the long run.

Good luck. Track is breathtaking, have fun :smiley:

That little guy is my son. I do try to stay off the sidewalks as much as possible. Now that the snow has melted I go to the outdoor track.