liquorice

my dad told me that liquorice is the worst thing that u can do for ur testoserone levels…(he is a doctor (gp))… dont know if it would be true, anyone else heard anything about this

I have heard that. That was in a nuts T-Nation article about how to get your T-levels as low as possible before seeing your doc to get him to put you on TRT.

Did you just say it was in a “nuts” article? :smiley:

blam
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_128doc

noooooooooooooooo! I love liquorice!

But only have it rarely - thankfully…

How much frikkin’ liquorice are we talking about here? Like most of this kind of nit picky crap everyone obsesses over, I bet you could eat liquorice on a regular basis and you wouldn’t notice jack shit in terms of performance effects. If anything, the sugar in the liquorice would probably have more of an effect you.

who eats liquorice besides grade 5 elementary school students?

Funny, i read a report that it boosts test levels.

Oh well, i guess they can massage the figures to sell you anything nowadays.

Things like saw palmetto, green leaf tea and peppermint are proven to reduce test levels but how much you would have to take is debatable.
If you are serious about reducing body test levels before seeing the doctor, Perform 2 hour long training sessions, eat more soy protein, cut back on sleep and you’ll be fine.

Charlie’s sessions are 2hrs+… do you mean 2h weights session?? And read the debate on Whey vs. Soy and you may be surprised by the theories there (phytoestrogens may compete with the bodies estogen).

The Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra ) they are referring to is a flavorful herb that has been used in food and medicinal remedies for thousands of years. Also known as “sweet root,” licorice root contains a compound that is roughly 50 times sweeter than sugar.

I am not sure about using it to decrease testosterone levels, but I have used Licorice Root Extract to support my adrenal glands when my cortisol levels were low. A primary compound in licorice root is glycyrrhizin (a substance that has a molecular structure similar to corticosteroids). As such, licorice root aids in hypoadrenalism by partially blocking the enzyme that converts cortisol to cortisone, thus sparing cortisol. You can also use to for heartburn and other stomach problems in the form of deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL).

The candy licorice that you are referring to above and most are familiar with from childhood has the ingredients of licorice extract only in black colored licorice, all other licorice does not contain licorice extract, sugar, and a binder. two different things.

Yes thanks UkCheetah i do mean 2 hour weight sessions. Is that a good thing or a bad thing.
I saw some of those American Gladiators and they said they pump their muscles for about 5 hours a day, as they have become so customised to weight training from years of practise.
Ok, i know that a little anabolics goes a long way but is this true or just hype.

Yea, 2 hours in the weights room = catabolic hormones…

I find it an interesting point as it may not exactly be true: A friend of mine works at the docks, loading and unloading ships all day, mostly heavy lifting. To cut a long story short due to his workload he " exercises " every muscle in his body everyday for about 5 days a week, approx 6 hours a day. The guy is very strong.
I find it interesting, in that he breaks every rule of hypertrophy and gets away with it. All his mates at the docks are massive as well.
I also know that the same is true concerning furniture removals. A few guys i know spend all day emptying houses of large pieces of furniture, exercising every muscle every day for hours on end. They are very strong also.
It’s amazing how the human body can adapt.