Links to EMG analysis?

Hi,

I’m looking for any info on emg analysis of sporting movements. Specifically i’m interested in tables and perhaps diagrams showing electrical activity in different muscles during sporting movements.

I’m a total newbie to this topic. The only thing I have really read is a small section in Periodisation Training for Sports that shows a table for iEMG maximum motor unit activation in different muscles using different exercises. I was wondering if there are many studies showing muscle activation during sporting movements.

Thanks

Try to find following paper.
Mann, R. A., Moran GT, Dougherty SE (1986). Comparative electromyography of the lower extremity in jogging, running, and sprinting. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 14, 501-510.

A lot of EMG work has been done on sports movements in the past: e.g. articles:
-De Luca, C.J: The use of surface electro-myography in biomechanics; J.Appl.Biomech. Vol.13, 1997, pg. 135-163.
-Dowling, J.J: The use of electromyography for noninvasive prediction of muscle forces; Sports Med. Vol.24, No.2, 1997, pg.82-96.
-Winter, D.A: Electromyogram recording, processing, and normalization: Procedures and considerations; J.Human Muscle Performance, Vol.1, No.2, 1991, pg. 5-15.
-Duchêne, J; Goubel, F: Surface electromyogram during voluntary contraction: processing tools and relation to
physiological events; Crit.Rev. Biomed. Engin. Vol.21, No.4, 1993, pg.313-397.
-Kellis, E; Baltzopoulos, V: The effects of normalization on antagonistic activity patterns during eccentric and concentric
isokinetic knee extension and flexion; J.Electromyogr. Kinesiol. Vol.6, No. 4, 1996, pg.235-245.
-Oberg, T: Muscle fatigue and calibration of EMG measurements; J.Electromyogr.Kinesiol. Vol.5, No. 4, 1995, pg.239-243.
-Potvin, J.R; Bent, L.R: A validation of techniques using surface EMG signals from dynamic contractions to quantify
muscle fatigue during repetitive tasks; J.Electromyogr. Kinesiol. Vol.7, No. 2, 1997, pg.131-139.
-Clarys, J.P; Cabri, J: Electromyography and the study of sports movements: a review; J.Sports Sci. Vol.11, 1993, pg.379-448. (good article)
-Bartlett, R: Electromyography; In: Introduction to Sports Biomechanics, E&FN Spon, Londen, GBR, 1993, pg.229-253.(good book)
-Moritani, T; Muro, M; Nagata, A: Intramuscular and surface electromyogram changes during muscle fatigue;
J.Appl.Physiol. Vol.60, No.4, 186, pg.179-185.
-Basmajian, J.V(Ed.): Biofeedback. Principles and practice for clinicians; Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, USA, 1989.(good book)
-Cram, J.R; Kaman, GS Introduction to surface electromyography; Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA,1998.(good book)
-Ferdjallah, M; Wertsch, J.J: Anatomical and technical considerations in surface electromyography; Phys.Med.Rehab.
Clin.North Am. Vol.9. No.4, Nov.1998, pg.925-91.
-Jurrell, K.C: Surface EMG and fatigue; Phys.Med.Rehab.Clin North Am. Vol.9, No.4, Nov.1998, pg.933-947.
Problems with surface EMG: not all muscles can be measured, e.g. deep muscles like iliopsoas are problematic.

Concerning sprinting and EMG, there’s an article showing diagrams for different phases of the stride cycle.
Wiemann K., Tidow G. : Die Adduktoren beim Sprint - bisher vernachlässigt? Die Lehre der Leichtathletik 7/94 pp15-18 and 8/94 pp 15-18.

Btw Henkra, welcome back to the board, your posts are always greately appreciated.

Many thanks for the input so far chaps, great work!