Light Squats for Elite Sprinter?

What about the “supporting” stimulus from the sprints? + If you drop the squats but keep the weightlifting exercises there will be a general effect on the CNS?

There are always two effects, direct and indirect via the cross-over effect. While other weight exercises and, of course, the sprinting will help to maintain more strength than would be lost otherwise, you will still be dropping faster than you would if you maintained the squat. Why would you want to drop the squat anyway?

You’d be surprised (well not you, but some) how many teams around here lift in “pre-season” then basically drop everything when “in-season” rolls around.

Well, you’re right, I wouldn’t! that’s the standard serial progression.

i would think those drop squats and other lifts, because the stimulus is to great and may lead to overtraining?

Reducing weight training volume should be enough to prevent overtraining.

Exactement:) but also you don’t have to lift PB level during in-competition periods. A good level of strength can be maintained using the same lifting exercises but without lifting so heavy or so often that it tightens your body or makes you sore.

Cleans (or p/cleans) is also a good option (i think) as an alternative to squats in the week leading up to a race - certainly later in the week, closer to race day.

not surprisingly you aren’t the only one to think that, below is from the Taper DVD thread

[i]

[/i]

yeah kitkat i agree with cleans as a good alternative.

In my path to Rome (meeting in 2006) i sat down at the airport with him. The squat are deep squats, so knowing that Tyson is flexible, he can go true deep squats, which make the numbers more impressive. Besides squats he does leg press.
He does a lot of bounding, single or double leg up to 50m distance, which makes up for any lack of weights.
Jon Drummond has nothing to do with Tyson’s weight regimen, he came into the game before 2007 nationals as a technical advisor, and he was Tyson’s personal coach in Osaka, however, Lance B and Tyson have awlays stated that Lance was sending the plans.

The bounding as well as the depth of the squats goes a long way to clarify things

Roman Sebrle or Tomas Dvorak… Czech decathlonists were squating aroud 225 too… not too much above it… but they bench pressed Roman 330lb, Tomas 285lb and they both did snatch 225lb!! so…

When Tyson Gay ran 9.69 in 2008 he said that he was surprise because he hadn’t touched the weights for 3 weeks… Same with me… whan I was younger my best competitions result in long jump came from not doing weights for more than 3, 4 weeks!! I was flying!! And actually from may to september I hit the weight very rarely…

Precisely why Charlie’s max strength phase concludes 3-4 weeks prior to the end of the SPP.

Did he really say that? If so, I don’t think he understood his training and/or had never taken a lengthy break from weights while still competing.

Also, in response to the mortac8’s comment from 8 years ago, when I was in my late 20s I could squat 400 and jump about 32" from standing, and a few inches higher with a run-up, but I’d have been hard pressed to 12.0 in the 100m. Mind you, I wasn’t doing any sprinting at the time, but even if I had dedicated years of training/diet/rehab to it, I’d be surprised if there would ever have been a <11.0 in me.

Rules are easy. ( in theory)
Guidelines are more opaque or vague.
Most want a recipe, a guide and all the answers on You Tube NOW.
The art and science require knowledge.
Knowledge for sprinting takes time for both the athlete and the coach.