Lifewave Energy Enhancer

Has anyone tried the Lifewave Energy patches? I don’t know if this has been discussed on the forum yet. These patches (which are not transdermal) raised a controversy at the US National Swimming trials last year, as a number of Stanford based swimmers used them.

The info on the brochure and website says:

“It is believed that the patches (which contain a blend of amino acids, water, stabilized oxygen and organics) communicate the information needed to transport fats to the cell ATP production. Clinical studies have shown an increase in energy and strength endurance within minutes of use.”

You can find more info on www.lifewave.com. If anyone has any practical experience with the patches, I’d be curious to hear what kind of results you’ve had. The one thing that concerns me is that the patches are sold through a Multi-Level Marketing operation.

Funny that you mentioned it…I’ve been discussing this product with a few individuals here in T.O… They have used it on a female olympic lifter and had great results. They speak of improved focus/energy and enhanced recovery. The coach himself peformed a basic test, as the creators of product speak of improve performance between sets (in other words immediately), by doing a set of pull ups to failure, applied the patches and shortly there after performed another set to failure. Vast immediate and continued improvements between the two sets! He has given them to his clients (non athlete, general fitness types) and they are enjoying improved daily function with reduced aches and pains. I’m still doing research, but they definitely have my attention!!!

What have you learned?

I have been experimenting with them the last few weeks on myself and one of my elite athletes. I have seen very little improvement in my 225 rep test (for myself) and very little work capacity increase in my elite athlete. I really want to see results, but I am just not! I would love to hear other opinions.

Dan F.

Everyone on the Yahoo: Supertraining list seems to think they are a scam. Personally, I can’t see how you can prove they work because of all the other factors affecting performance. Then again, Placbo is the worlds most tested drug & it almost always has a positive impact!

Of course the best of both worlds would be to know as a scientifically minded supertrainer why it most likely doesn’t work but to still be able to get the placebo effects when you take it :slight_smile:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?p=82643#post82643

When I see vague pseudoscience technobabble like this, an alarm goes off in my head. What the hell is stabilized oxygen? I took 24 credits of chemistry in college and I don’t remember coming across this special element.

Communicates information? How the hell does that work?

Transport fats to the cell ATP production? That’s not even phrased correctly. Are they referring to the mitochondria? If so, sounds like carnitine to me.

What clinical studies? What are the publications citations?

I also noticed their web site asserts that this stuff is patented. If patents have issued on this, what are the patent numbers?

My sense of it is that it supposedly optimizes your body’s magnetic fields. True? No idea.

With a patch?

“With a patch?”

Yes, I believe that’s the claim being made.

Well if people are really looking for a great deal, I’ve got some lovely ocean front property they might be interested in.

That is hilarious!! Is that property for sale perhaps in, say, Arizona?

Never heard of Arizona Bay?

Since John Steffenson might have been using these during the CWGs, I thought i would post a link to the patent application…

http://quikonnex.com/channel/item/13141

Abstract This invention relates to an apparatus that regulates thermodynamic energy-flow
United States Patent Application 20040057983
Kind Code A1
Schmidt, David March 25, 2004
Biomolecular wearable apparatus

Abstract

This invention relates to an apparatus that regulates thermodynamic energy-flow within a human body for producing beneficial effects such as, for example, improvement in strength, improvement in stamina, pain relief, etc. According to one embodiment, the invention provides a wearable apparatus that may include biomolecular components for building-up of a thermomagnetic energy within the human body. According to another embodiment, the invention provides a wearable apparatus that may include biomolecular components for dilution of a thermomagnetic energy within the human body. According to yet another embodiment, the invention provides a wearable apparatus that may include biomolecular components having orthomolecular and/or non-orthomolecular organic materials which are capable of thermomagnetic levororotary action and/or thermomagnetic dextrorotatory action.
Inventors: Schmidt, David; (Buford, GA)
Correspondence Name and Address:

MINTZ LEVIN COHN FERRIS GLOVSKY AND POPEO PC
12010 SUNSET HILLS ROAD
SUITE 900
RESTON
VA
US

Serial No.: 669596
Series Code: 10
Filed: September 25, 2003
U.S. Current Class: 424/443
U.S. Class at Publication: 424/443
Intern’l Class: A61K 009/70
Claims

TC, thanks…but

What does it mean in plain English?

It reads like there are three types of “patches” but I don’t understand what the active component(s) are.

Is there a little magnet in the patch, or chemicals, or is there some sort of acupressure/puncture thing happening? All all three?

I didn’t want to post the entire patent but as far as i can tell the patches include amino acids of which there are a selection that are sealed inside the patch and nothing goes into the blood stream!

As far as i can tell you wear 2 patches of different “polarities” and this is supposed to cause changes in the magnetic energy fields. Depending on the effect you want the ingredietns of the patch are different. So left might be L-Tyrosine while right would be D-Tyrosine!

What is claimed is:

1. An apparatus for application to a subject’s body to provide a beneficial biological effect for the subject, the apparatus comprising: at least one organic material including a Left-Handed molecule; at least one substrate for said at least one organic material; and at least one enclosure for said at least one organic material and said at least one substrate.

2. An apparatus for application to a subject’s body to provide a beneficial biological effect for the subject, the apparatus comprising: at least one organic material including a Right-Handed molecule; at least one substrate for said at least one organic material; and at least one enclosure for said at least one organic material and said at least one substrate.

3. The apparatus of claim 1, comprising a plurality of Left-Handed molecules.

4. The apparatus of claim 2, comprising a plurality of Right-Handed molecules.

5. The apparatus of claim 1, wherein said Left-Handed molecule is capable of causing the beneficial biological effect by interacting with a thermomagnetic energy-flow within the human body.

6. The apparatus of claim 1, wherein said Left-Handed molecule is an amino acid, wherein said amino acid is selected from a group consisting of L-Alanine, L-Arginine, L-Aspargine, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, L-Camitine L-Tartrate, L-Camitine Magnesium Citrate, L-Citrulline, L-Cysteine, L-Cystine, L-GABA, L-Glutamic Acid, L-Glutamine, Glutathione Peroxidase, L-Glycine, L-Histidine, Hydroxyglutamic Acid, Hydroxyproline, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, Norleucine, L-Lysine, L-Methionine, L-Omithine, L-Valine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Proline, L-Serine, L-Taurine, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, and L-Tyrosine.

7. The apparatus of claim 2, wherein said Right-Handed molecule is capable of causing the beneficial effect by interacting with a thermomagnetic energy-flow within the human body.

8. The apparatus of claim 2, wherein said Right-Handed molecule is a D-form of an amino acid, wherein said amino acid is selected from a group consisting of D-Alanine, D-Arginine, D-Aspargine, D-Aspartic Acid, D-Carnitine, Acetyl-D-Carnitine, D-Camitine D-Tartrate, D-Camitine Magnesium Citrate, D-Citrulline, D-Cysteine, D-Cystine, D-GABA, D-Glutamic Acid, D-Glutamine, D-Glutathione Peroxidase, D-Glycine, D-Histidine, D-Hydroxyglutamic Acid, D-Hydroxyproline, D-Soleucine, D-Leucine, D-Norleucine, D-Lysine, D-Metbionine, D-Ornithine, D-Valine, D-Phenylalanine, D-Proline, D-Serine, D-Taurine, D-Threonine, D-Tryptophan, and D-Tyrosine.

Lightwave seem to make different types of patches with different ingredients for different uses.

I’m pretty sure you can also wear only 1 patch (from an interview with ronnie coleman).

To be quite honest that is all i can make out from the claim! I will read it more sometime!

A little insight into the patent process. Patentability has nothing to do with efficacy. If an invention receives a patent, it merely means the applicant has convinced the patent office that his invention is original and has not been done before. It does not necessarily mean that his invention actually does what it’s supposed to. Patent examiners are not in the business of determining the efficacy of inventions, only their originality. The only time the examiners will challenge the efficacy of a patent application is if it clearly claims to defy an accepted law of nature (e.g., a perpetual motion machine).

So it is possible to get a patent on original bullshit. Believe me, there are a lot of BS patents that get issued every year. With that in mind, it would not surprise me in the least if this patent application does indeed eventually issue as a patent. But that still doesn’t mean it works.

So, you might say that the claims could be “patently false”!

Interesting about left hand vs right hand rotations. i don’t know much abotu this particular case but there are some clear cases where the rotation of the same molecule dramatically changes its effectiveness.

I’ve experimented with these patches with good results…Used them during the GPP phase (tempo runs and SE work). Felt less lathargic towards the end of the session…had a fresh/vitalised feeling. I’ll keep on using these patches throughout the summer and keep you informed of the results. Will be interesting to see how I perform in a competition consisting of 3x100m rounds and 3x200m on the same day.