komy's road to wj

Hey Komy,

Whats up man. I guess you have to take the times as they come. You never know the conditions. It might have been a slow track with head wind. Or may be you were not in the mood or your form has dropped. But I believe that its always ok to run slow. You gain experiance from running fast and from running sow. So did you see that Amr guy. Was he there or not. Is he the one who ran 10.51?? Did you send him my regards. Take care man and good luck.

hey i guess u were right, i saw him there but he didnt compete just like u said. the dude gained muscle since ive last seen him. he said he only started engaging in weight training only a short while ago. he obviously is planning to something big from him not competing and just sitting aside and watching. i sent him ur regards, he says hi back but sorry he just has no time for the net. and u were right i guess, he does know a lot and his coach definitely knows wat he’s doin

okay, here hows it done. three weeks hard training, one week tests where we monitor progress and recover our bodies form hard weeks of work.

sat: 2x4x150/200/250m (week1/week2/week3)
stadium stairs

sun: long warm up.
technical session: 5x100m acceleration runs 25m intervals
ins and outs (30m full out sprint breath held 30m inhale and relaxed) over 150m x3
running drills x50m each workout performed twice
med ball cct
mon: rest

tues: long warm up. med ball cct plus cct training

wed: 2x3x300/400/500m
stadium stairs

thurs: long warm up.
15xflying 60m 90sec week 1
4xflying 100m week2
20x20m shuttle runs week 3
cct training

fri: rest

the long warm up consists of 3k jog, 45min stretches, running and bounding drills, bunny hops 50m x4, single leg hops 50m each leg x4, backward sprints 50m x4, hurdle jumps x4 hurdles varying distances and heights, 5x20, 4x30, 3x40, 1x50m
week 4 (test week)

sat: 150m test
sun: 30min bike
mon: flying 30 and 60m
tues: pool laps
wed: 250m
thurs: quadrathlon

my coach is doin this mainly cause my endurance basically sucks. i kinda have no base watso ever. u guys so from my times in training, short distances were good but compared to any endurance runs they are pethatic. my 200 is only 22.70 when my 100 is 10.61 so there is definitely somthing goin wrong with the endurance, which is mainly why we are placing major emphasis on endurance at this point, next competiton will be in september so we got plenty of time
following the test week it goes like this, same routine exactly, only that the sprinting distances have changed

sat: 2x4x300/400/500m
stadium stairs
sun: long warmup plus technical session

mon: rest

tues: med ball cct plus cct training

wed: 2x3x400/500/600m
stadium stairs

turs: 3x10x30m week 1
4x10x40m week2
5x10x50m week3
cct training

fri: rest

week 4 test week same as before

then summer comes along where i will start my weight training again, but will be very light, super fast and a lot of reps, short recoveries throughout all summer
resistance training and overspeed training will be incorporated into the program plus a special endurance session on mondays which used to be rest. will keep u posted of how my training goes later on

any comments so far?

That’s 9600m of tempo! I think that’s probably too high a volume and at some point in the session it will turn from aiding recovery to extra pounding, especially if you’re doing it on the track. If you need to raise the volume of the low intensity stuff to help general fitness you might want to look at other options i.e. rowing machine, medicine ball, light weight room circuits, jump roping on a soft surface, sledgehammer hitting, stadium stairs as you mentioned, jog and chase the medicine ball, ab work, or calisthenic or light jump circuits and cut back the volume of ext. tempo and add in one or more of these elements.

Komy,

I really do want to help you but I don’t know what to say. Why are you repeating so much??? I don’t mean the same sessions. But I’m talking about the style. You get board and you start feeling that you don’t want to do it no more. It feels like you’ve run out of ideas although I’m sure you have much more in head than that.

Why flying 100m. ? You should always ask your self why am I doing this or that. you will only maintain your top speed for about 15 - 20 meters. So you don’t need a flying 100m to do that. And I’m sure that is not your speed session. To say the truth. I would class that session as a speed endurance session where you have eliminated acceleration. Just look at every single detail and sit down and take a lot of time to write your program. Write week by week. And after each week look at whats ahead and refine as to what you feel then.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong. I just feel that you didn’t take the time to think carfully. You have to think about each session from a lot of angles. What they use, reward and so on. Energy, technique, streangth , etc…

But after all. If you feel that its going good with you like this then go ahead and I believe that you’ll still pull out something big. Just listen to your body after all. Trust me. The right kind of training always feels good.

Take care

i know it sounds boring A LOT infact but at the end of the day it will help. i know its a lot of volume but i think i can handle it for the first 8 weks of the program, after which the volume will drop down a lot. i know the distances are big as well but i guess thats what i need for the first couple of weeks. coach told me its more of a foundation phase than it is really GPP. then things will get much better later on. he says my lactic capacity is ZERO and we need to expand that, and he said that only through high volumes it can be achieved. thats why he designed it in the 3 week 1 week recovery basis.
when i injured my hammys last summer i only started training in 1st december. i did this training for exactly a month and a half and then had to hit phase 2 cause we were running late in the season. my 150m tie last summer was 17.00 and now its 16.30 my 120m time was 14.60 and now its 13.05, that was when the max distance used was 400m,
but we want to compete in the 200 as well so he said to crack the 250 and 300m we need to do 500s and 600s. i mean i dunno but it kinda makes sense to me.
ive got a psychological thing where when i do the very big distances like the 400 or 500, then 150 and 120 seen very short to me, so i end up running them really fast. buty now i need to expand my endurance capacity and do the same with the 250, 300 and 350 which only can be achieved from above.
im gonna give it a try, and for the love of the game there is nop boredom, u do the hard work now and u get rewarded later on.
a proper diet with proper sleep and supplements should also help aid recovery
ill start as of nxt saturday, and will tell u guys how it went
i guess i just have to trust my coach at this point though i really hope im makin sense to u guys
thnx for ur comments

fast11,

the flying 100 is used as a speed endurance session, he says it what u need at the end of the 100m, and that workout helps sort ur technique and endurance. they are run at 100% pace.
he beleives that the type of endurance that u need during the last 20m of the 100m is only worked out through intensities at race pace, and its much better doin them with a partner to push u all the way.
he says actual meets and competitons serve as excellent speed endurance workouts.
and thats exactly what im targetting.
hopefully by the end of summer will be doing a sub 16 150 and a sub 13 120m, and for the sake of the 200 a sub 29 in the 250 and a sub 38 in the 300.
thats what im hopin for anyway

Komy,

I think things look good. One word of advice though. Closely watch the intensity of the longer runs and also watch your recovery carefully. You want to gradually introduce lactic work so dont hit the intervals too hard at first. Gradual progression is very important. You want to finish the last rep in the same ~speed/time as the first rep.

I think you have great times/success coming. Just need to watch the little things and make sure you dont overtrain :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

If its a speed endurance session then fine. Thats good. I do believe in doing things in training at intensities like the ones you achieve in competition. But then I believe its better to wait a little before you introduce speed endurance. If you’ve got a compact schedual for meets then I’m sure your coach will know what to do better.

1st day of gpp:
sat 1st May
warm up: 3k jog, 35min stretches, form drills x2x30m
acceleration runs 3x100m
tempo 2x4x150m 19s rest: walk back set: 5min
bunny hops x2x30m
single leg hops x2x30m rest: walk back

im quite shocked to say that i found it a bit tough, i guess mainly cause i havent done serious tempo in some time, i thought the recovery was not enough, but glad my last finished like the 1st, so there was no real changes in time. will adapt hopefully much better by next week, by the time went on to do the plyos i felt like i was carrying some extra 100 pounders on me!

Thats good man.But then don’t worry about the tempo time. It’ll all come together in a short time. It always feels like this the first day. Good luck man

sunday: long warm up
3k jog including some stretches and aerobic work in the process
35min flexibility concentrated on dynamic as well
form drills A’s B’s skips butt kicks, high knees, back kicks, anckle flicks, x2x30m
5x20m
5x25m frog jumps performed in sand
5x20m light sprints
5x100m acceleration runs 25m intervals, sprint out from 75m to 100m
med ball cct
chest pass,
overhead forward throw,
underhand front throw,
overhead backward throw
russian twists
x8 each workout, done consecutively, rest 5min then perform cct again x3
(need to be very explosive in each rep, max effort)

i must point out that those frog jumps were really screwing me up and so were the acceleration runs, its weird when u shift gears suddenly it outs u out of breath so i guess i need to practise a lot of those, med ball cct was also tough for me considering having done such workouts in quite a while. russian twists were really gettin me at the end there every time.
will rest the following day and hopefully charge up myself by then

i wanna ask u a question…are u doing these frog jumps as a kiind of plyos…or u r doing it to as type of strenght training???

What are frog humps!!!???

frog jumps also called bunny hops, its where your’e thighs are parallel with the ground like in a squat posn and you jump as forward and high as possible, which apparently from the swinging motion of your arms, work your abdomen as well.
they are very useful workouts and hopefully will prpgress all the way to 50m when im fit for it. could be performed with weights when your very fit, they work your explosive power very well fast11

very strange tht they r working the explosive power though at the same time u work them on sand???..plz explain

basically its a problem with the grass they had a lot of holes from throwers the other day so it was dangerous performing the workout on grass, and atkeast for the 1st couple of weeks in the gpp i want to get as far away from the track as possible, so sand was the only option we had. plus coach said it wasnt so bad considering we in early gpp that we could even use the workout as strengthening the muscle group, though the workout is mainly for explosive power

long warm up:

3k jog including stretches as we go plus horizontal runs and backward runs
35mins stretches both static and dynamic
form drills x2x40m A’s, B’s, high knees, butt kicks, back kicks, anckle flicks etc
4hurdes, 2 workouts x4
1st workout constant height, explosive vertical jumps
2nd workout low heigh low heigh, emphasis to be very explosive on the high hurdles
4x30m sprints
2x50m frog jumps (bunny hops) on grass
cct training, 13stations mix of upper core and lower body workouts 5min set

it was all good, started gettin sore from the frog jumps though it was good when i took a 5min break after, i just dont understand why it makes my legs so sore
the highlights of the workout was the cct training, oh my god i never realised what a woss i was, i actually made my coach laugh, he couldnt beleive what he saw
i absolutely sucked, i was gettin out of breath and was gettin so sore, actually at some point my arms were shackin.
so coach basically decided that until we get our own body weight delt with, then we will hit the weight room, until then we are not goin near the gym he said, i never realised myself my base was so ugly or infact is. so its pretty logical to me that weight training wont be any beneficial until i have sorted my own weight, even realised i need to lose some, so i guess i need to look after my diet as well

10min light jog cool down plus some stretches

Nice Komy but then I wouldn’t judge everything based on a circuit session done at the start of the season. Plus, don’t go so far thinking about improving one aspect and forgeting about the rest. You’ll end up being someone who can preform great circuit sessions. But then when its competition time. What do you think?? Are you gonna use it down that straight in these few steps to the finish line?? Thats a question you should ask your self. Take care.

wednesday 5/05

3k jog, stretches
form drills x30m
acceleration runs x50m
2x3x300m rest 4min rep 6min set
situps and hypers
i did those 300s on grass, was sore from previous day, plus my chins were sore for some reason. i worked on 49s only but kept it consistent all the way.

thursday 6/05

3k jog, 30min stretches including dynamic
form drills x20m
acceleration runs over 30m
was feeling very sore so couldnt do my actual training, plus my chins were really bothering me so got a lot of icing to do this weekend. its usually like this for me when i start my gpp that i have to be somewhat very unorganised the first week but hopefully should be gettin more foccused as of next week.
today i had to do 15xflying 60m 90sec rest, well too bad will make up for it another time then i guess