Kirani James and leshawn Merritt

Having just watched the Lausanne diamond race and Kirani running 43.73

He surely has a strong chance if going sub 43.5 wouldn’t you think

These two have a great finish strength, does anyone have any excerpt of their training?

Is Harvey Glance still James’ coach?

Good interview with Merritt on SpeedEndurance.com (I think a member here is the interviewer?). He switched coaches in 2012, now with Loren Seagrave, was with Dwayne Miller before that.

Miller’s 400m notes from the 2008 USATF clinic are on the USATF site. Not sure if that is exactly what Merritt did back then but it is insight into his former coach.

The great KitKat certainly is a member here, and he did a really nice job of drilling Merritt with training specific questions in his interview. I can say that I was down in Florida at IMG for a course in December, and Merritt was nowhere to be found, but Demetrius Pinder and the rest of the sprint group were all there. When asked about this, Seagrave stated that Merritt doesn’t usually show up at IMG until January. I believe Merritt sticks with the type of prep work that he did under Dwayne Miller during the fall before heading down to IMG. Merritt mentions starting with repeat 800’s when he arrives in Florida in KitKat’s interview, and that would be a smooth progression down from the mile repeats he would do in the fall GPP under Miller.

What estimated percentage of total early season micro-work does Seagrave have his elite athletes do interval training runs? I read somewhere that he uses the new interval training system as a work session and wasn’t clear if this is implemented during mid training year as well.

What do you mean by interval training runs? What is the new interval training system?

I’d link them but it’s mostly to commercial sites. Search for Peter Thompson and new interval training.

Peter is a nice bloke, was ceo of the aust coaches assn for a couple of months just before glennys took over the reins.

I did a search. These type of runs have been used for years in a variety of programs, e.g. 5x200 with jog recovery (on the sprint side of things). I’m not too knowledgeable about 10k and up training, but ESTI would know. If Seagrave uses these for sprinters, I’d imagine use would be fairly limited, as strictly lactate type sessions. I know he likes 300+300, 300+200, 300+150 for Merritt, so perhaps he will occasionally use “roll-on” recovery between runs.

You’re probably right on this. I generally use the system in VO2max sessions with 4/8 athletes. 30:30’s, 60:60’s, 3:3 and like that. Had a modicum of success last winter with a short sprinter to assist in long sprint development and recovery processes.

These types sessions are fairly common in most 4 programmes

Would you say, think or know that these are somewhat focused on higher?