Kim Collins

Chambers got outclassed on the anchor leg of the 4 x 100m relay by an american sprinter who I have never heard of before, but the really strange bit was when Dwain allowed himself to smile about it afterwards.

Where’s Linford? I garuntee you that if this website had been around 10 or 11 years ago, almost everyone would be talking about Linford’s physique, strength and training routines. He also ran 9.87 without the tailwind that Dwain and Montgommery had in that race last year.

But hey lets not all pattern our lives after Kim Collins because he was world champion, with all due respect to him, he did win with the slowest time in years.

Daz. The track was wet. and yes it was a slow time, but how slow were the other sprinters in the race behind kim. Kim has gone under 10 sec this year. I think he was the most consistant this year in the 100. If the track wasnt wet He would’ve gone under 10 easily.

why do so many sprinters and hurdlers (especially hurds) wear watches?

this seems useless as it is unecessary weight… :smiley:

for sponsorship money?

re: watches

i seriously doubt it really matters. If michael johnson hadnt worn all those chains and jewellery, he might’ve had faster world record runs? hehe i doubt it.

you only see a few 100 metre sprinters wearing watches. i guess if u always train with it on, its more of a distraction if u dont wear it when u race.

or, it could be for the money :slight_smile:

oh yeah…

Rock N Roll,

Kim Collins did an interview on Trans World sport, and he confirmed that he DOES do weight training. Albeit he uses light weights and moves it as fast as he can. He does not do any “body building” training. What he means by that I do not know.

Regarding Watches,

Dwain for a time used to wear 2 watches (one on each wrist), he was asked why. Simply, he was sponsored by more that one company, so he wore his watch sponsor and his shoe/clothes sponsors’ watch.

Oor,
Could you post the interview or a link to it? Thanks

I have a train fellow,
he is now with 18 years old,
their times are: 100m 10.69s / 200m 21.40 ( electronic times )
he is 5’8" ( 1.70m ) and about 132lb ( 60kg ).
I´m all sure that he doesn´t do weights, he is poor, so, he doesn´t have money to pay for weight room, besides, he train once or twice a week, and when he trains, it´s funny, because, he don´t follow the patern of a good train…he just do sinmple sprints ( 100m ) without any tech drills or time goals, he only do fast runs.
Why he is fast ?! I don´t know, just what i know is that he have a lean body, skeletonic body.
I believe in 3 elementary things in cases like this,
1: The guy have a genetic privileged ( white fibers / fast fibers )
2: He never on his life, stops his run method, since child, adolescence even adult age he only run fast, so, his brain knows only one thing, run fast
3: A mix between good sprint mechanics ( natural ) adapted to his body weight and power ( biotipe ).

Sorry hadn’t seen this post until now. “how fast were the sprinters in the race behind him?” That is exactly my point. Anyone can win on any given day, consistency is a definite factor also, but what I am saying is, Maurice Greene is huge compared to Kim Collins, both are great sprinters. I just think people are too quick to restructure their plan because they saw Kim and he looks to be doing things differently from them. I went to a clinic where John Smith spoke and someone stood up and said, “everything you are saying goes completely against what my coaching philosophy is. John Smith asked, “are you having success?” The guy said, yes and John Smith told him to continue what he did but to take something from what he was speaking to.” I believe there are many similarities in different plans but what gets a sprinter over the hump is the plan that is completely right for he/she, not what was right for Kim, Mo, or Michael. Could you imagine if all quarter milers started trying to pattern their form after Michael Johnson’s?

He never on his life, stops his run method, since child, adolescence even adult age he only run fast, so, his brain knows only one thing, run fast

Doesn’t sound too different from what we’ve heard about Kenteris’ training methods - but for 200m - with the body learning to adapt to the workload -

It’ll be interesting to see how ur mate progresses - I would think that for the 100m tho - certain additional explosive elements not so necessary to the 200m would be essential to take him to the highest level

If one trains only with repeat 100’s and 200’s(the specific events), isn’t it more likely that one is going reach a so-called “speed barrier” sooner than if training distances and intensities were more varied? I remember reading about this is past posts.

On the other hand, in the sport of weightlifting, you have a country like Bulgaria that has it’s lifters perform very few varations of the Olympic lifts and train heavy all the time. As has been said before, “there is more than one way to skin a cat.” I also like the saying “different strokes for different folks!”

Those that train only the competition distances such as 100’s or 200’s
will develope a good transition phase and will know how to pace them selves or the leval of relaxation neccesary for the fastest time they can run that day.
Even in a full distance they may concentrate on one or two components that they feel they need to work on that day. Yes, I understand that it may be easier to focus better on a component when it is seperated as a distance, but some people…
when they get moving they don’t like to stop so early.