Kettlebell Training

What do you think of this type of training?

"Kettlebells have long been the top choice fitness-tool of Olympic athletes, elite special forces and martial artists. The kettlebell’s ballistic movement challenges the body to achieve an unparalleled level of physical conditioning and overall strength.

Kettlebell training is not a new phenomenon. Russian athletes have used it for more than 100 years."

Thoughts or opinions?

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

kettlebell training can be a good addition to your workouts…it is NOT the end all to training like some gurus make it out to be.

Why use kettleballs instead of a bar or dumbells? I really mean what can you do with a kettleball that you can’t do with barbell/dumbells?

Like my avatar?

Kettlebells are good for three exercies PERIOD. They are fun but not something I would invest into myself.

what are the three?

What he said :smiley:

Clean & Jerk, Snatch, Between Leg Passes are bettwe with kb’s compared to db’s.

Barbells and Dumbbells are favorable…the windmills and turkish get ups are nice gpp movements but that is it…

Cleans are good with loads beyond what most KB can offer and barbells you can adjust traditional barbells. I am sure a 200lbs KB exists but come on!

I kind of like the kb snatch and swing for gpp as well BUT I don’t think they’re really cost effective. I rather spend it on regeneration techniques or spend it getting girls drunk at the bar :smiley:

For those who are not familiar. give a description of weights, cost, material (there are med balls with handles also) size, etc. Can anything be replaced- ie can you work with these at home and save a trip to the gym? If so in GPP only? How long?

Ha ha, the avatar of me is too funny. While I teach a lot of kettlebell seminars and have two kettlebells DVD’s (one will be featured here on the site soon). I agree with others that kettlebell training is not the be all or end all of training.

However, It is a great compliment to training and can be an integral part of enhancing any program. Many strength coaches such as Ethan Reeve of Wake Forest University use kettlebells a great deal with their athletes and even Louie Simmons and the westside crew have started using bells and find that swings help with deadlifting. Top UFC fighter Tito Ortiz contacted me recently and wants me to take him through a KB workout. I will report back on what he thinks.

Regardless, I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is and here is my offer. I want three people that are willing to review my DVD here on the charliefrancis.com board. In return I will send you a free copy of my DVD to review here.

Mike Mahler

Well there you have it members, Kettlebell expert Mike Mahler is onboard and for all interested we will have a kettlebell training thread opened for discussion. For those that want a free copy of Mike’s DVD, send me a private message explaining why you want it (Mike said he’s going to give away 3 copies).

Again, lets welcome Mike Mahler to the forums.

Rupert/Charlie
CharlieFrancis.com

Members

A thread has now been opened for this discussion with Mike Mahler.

Find it here

We look forward to this new addition to the forums. Enjoy!

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

like has been said, an interesting addition/variation to GPP, but not the be all/end all

as a side note: i have some russian/belarussian friends, who were in the army, or trained at high levels (gymnastics/sambo/wrestling) when they still lived in the old country… none of them had ever seen a kettlebell until i showed them a picture of one.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Kettlebell snatches and cleans are done to improve conditioning not power.

Where along the curve you develop a motor quality is a function of load and speed, not training implement. Accordingly, if you perform a clean/snatch/swing variation explosively you will develop a component of power. Low repetitions will yield increases in explosive power as oxidative capacity is not called into action, while high repetitions will yield power endurance.

To state, in absolute terms as you have, that kettlebell snatches and cleans develop conditioning not power is inaccurate as you must consider loading parameters before making such an absolute statement.

I disagree as many trainees will find exercises such as double snatches and double swings very difficult with 70 to 88lb bells. If that is not enough, dragondoor will probably be releasing 105lbs soon and I doubt that there are many people period that can double snatch those.

I know people that can clean and jerk 300lbs that could not double snatch 2 88lb bells. The off-centered weight makes the bells hard to control and you really have to know what you are doing to absorb the shock. Great skills for combat athletes to have.

My DVD is about strength and power, not high rep conditioning. Kettlebell training is much more multi faceted than high rep snatches.

Mike Mahler

:rolleyes: I absolutely did not state they couldn’t be used to develop power/strength. Please spare me. (Gee Shucks I thought I thought 100 rep barbell curls at a slow tempo would develop explosive power because I was using a barbell). I was just stating the usual and most apt appication for them.

Who can double snatch 88lb bells? I was comparing them to barbells. I was also responding to a post, which I in fact quoted. I was giving a reason for kb’s to be included in an athlete’s program, that is already doing a good strength routine. How would snatching two 70lb kettlebells compare to snatching 200 lbs barbell as far as power development? I think we both know the answer to that. The distinct advantages kettlebells posses over similar barbell exercises are mostly seen in the higher rep ranges, not the lower.

I was simply referencing your statement which Mahler quoted in his response to the same issue.

Additionally, “the usual and most apt application for them” is something which I believe us Westerners have perverted (like many principles training related).

Consider them for what they may be used to develop as opposed to what has been popularized in the West.