Kenteris Training

I know that years ago, there was a long and broad discussion about these Kenteris and I1 Training methods, but unfortunatley every link I ever got was broken.

I don’t know if this discussion threads still exist somewhere on the forum. Has anyone detailed information about Tzekos training with Kenteris and Thanou?

I watched him for about 10 days on Lanzarote years ago, but it was difficult to follow his training.

Anyone?

All I recall is multiple 200’s for kenteris every day with high quality? Could be wrong–hoping for someone to add something here.

I saw Kenteris in 2002 on Lanzarote. That was ta beginning of March I think. His group with Coach Tzekos and Thanou had been 3 Weeks in Lanzarote that year.
Tzekos wasn’t very talkative but an other Coach from Greece, Georgios Panagiotopoulos gave us some insights on the Greece Methods:

They always do their Sprintwork at full effort. Thats why they need warm conditions to minimize the risk of injuries. Times depend on the athletes current condition and on the weather.

The number of Sprints depends on the athletes shape on that day.They usally have 2 load weeks then one easy week. The usally have 3-4 Sprintsessions per week often split in a morining and a evening session. 1 Day regeneration ( Active) usally sundays.
Sprintsessions usally consist of 4-5 Sprints at max. Effort over 100m-200m.

I saw two such workouts of Kenteris with 200m Sprints between 20,1 and 20,3 sec. Rests were very long, he usally had to warmup again. When the Athlete gets too tired, and times as well as technique suffer, they end the workout immediatly.

They usally have 2-3 Weightsessions per week. Always short, not longer than 45min.
The concentrate on Squats (90°) and legpress as well as resistence work for the hamstrings. The exercises were done with maximum velocity. Afterwards they did plyos.

Georgios said they did resistence-work for 6 weeks, and after one week of compenastion they start a overspeed periode of 4-6 weeks. All the resistance work was done at 100%, with various weights.

During the morning sessions they seemed to concentrate on Technique ( At 100% ?) and on starts from the blocks. ( That was the only time I saw Kenteris sprinting a shorter distance, when doing starts off the bend)

That is what I saw and heard, but I would love to see some more detailed information on Kenteris amazing Training

Very very interesting this post!!!
Exercices done with maximum velocity in weightsession…
What do you think about this point?

when i am pushing say 120kg in the bench, i am moving the bar as fast as i can upwards, which in all acount is pretty slow. Where as downwards is maybe twice as slow as that. AS fast as i can explode the bar upwards, maybe 2seconds. But, its as fast as i can go with that weight. ON my last rep, it could take 4-5sec sometimes?? but still, its as fast as i can at that time.
Or perhaps the guy is doing say snatches or power cleans??

bold… While you sprinting do you use Maximum strength power or power applied fast is possible?

Erik Wymeersch, the 35-36 yr old belgian sprinter is now following a ‘special’ program. He stopped with athletics and began again when a Greek friend of him asked to be his training partner.
The running part of the program consists of 6*100m @ full speed with a very long recovery period and this is done EVERY DAY.
He claimed in Belgian press that Kenteris also used such a program. This is all I know about it and I don’t know if his claims are true but maybe this is interesting material to discuss.
(btw, he is running atm almost his best times ever 10.25, last time he ran that fast was 1999 all years after he ran 10.45-10.65 and now at the age of 36 almost his fastest time ever)

:eek: Strange… Very strange EVERY DAY!
CF what will he think about that??? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’m cleaning my room, I’ll quote the article from the moment I find it back :wink:

i am just replying to your Q. about max speed during weight session. What defines a max speed weights session?
Just reread that part, and they were doing max speed on squats and leg presses.
To me, personaly, there strength session in the weights means very little without something else more backing it up. Sets, reps, micro cycle, macro cycle, how it fits into there plan. Perhaps somebody could dig up some more?

Pardon… I know your language only a few… Sorry.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

eheh, It exist 2 greats schools of thinking… En fact I’d like know why you work for max strength power…

The training model used by the greek group is very interesting and with very valid implications and points leading to interesting discussions.
Too bad it is hard to get correct information about their protocols beyond what someone has seen or heard.Even worse almost every name somehow connected,referring to ,or referered by the group has been tainted of drug use.

In environments well above any suspicion- as well as below any level significant enough to represent a reliable experience- I have personally witnessed great improvements in the quality I would define Speed Endurance (as differentiated from pure Speed) in 15-18 years old kids adopting approaches at least inspired to that model…

The science behind the training approach is very interesting though,referring back to studies of the 60’s,too often ignored thereafter. Moving towards training the basic concepts I think can be found in historical Bulgarian weightlifting coach Ivan Abadjeev’s philosophy.

Overall the System could be described as directly opposite from Charlie’s as proponent of extreme specificity and prioritizing Endurance (at very high velocities,but still Endurance) over Speed,neglecting the Speed Reserve (as well as any other “Reserve”!) concept.

The Greeks did weight training (there was a close relationship with the national coach of the WLing team) and had days of lower intensity, too.
They also tried -and are still trying- to apply the concept to other events as well (e.g., 400 m and triple jump).
For every success we see there are quite a few others -from what I know for sure- who have failed (e.g., in 100 and 400 m).
pakewi, I agree it’s interesting and I remember your post “against” GPP (?) in weightlifting talking about Souleimanoglou (sp?). It would also be interesting to know the progression of those on whom you’ve “tested” the concept -even if that has been only in part.
Thanks!

As far as I know their "lower intensity " days consisted of “doubles”: instead of running a “single” trial over set distance (1x 100 or 1x200),complete rest,and repeat they would run a 2x distance with short (5 minutes,HR <100) rest,complete rest after the double,and then ready for another start (double or single depending on periodization) .
They would define training with doubles their “Cardiac” training.Interesting.

The Top group at least did have access to top quality therapy,recovery and regeneration on a daily basis,even multiple times a day.

Let us don’t forget this. Recovery means should always dictate training design more than the other way round!

Greek training might be interesting.Greek recovery and regenaration it is interesting for sure! (Therapists travelling half the world around to work with them!)…

Nik,yes that post of mine also contains the references to studies which may help understand some mechanisms at work in this kind of training approach. If you are only able to find it,would you please post the link here please?

I met him 2 weeks ago in a meet in Switzerland…He is a very knowledgable sprinter with years of experience under his belt. He gave me a few pointers and tips on breathing. He’s in great shape to run extremely well this year.

Yes, sir! :slight_smile:
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=8396&highlight=argument

pakewi and others,
coming back on this with a clear(er) ( :confused: ) mind and a bit more time…

1. there is no doubt their recovery/regeneration system had to be at top level. We can’t discuss anything beyond this…
  2. very interesting is the complete lack of “speed reserve” by this system, yes! Initially and for indoors they were doing 60s only with the usual 100s for outdoors. Later on they found out, or they felt that this didn’t transfer well to the outdoor season. Instead of going to the “speed reserve” option, they pushed forward with 100s from day one!
  3. why and how there was no long-term performance plateau? Would you not expect this? Some problems and injuries yes and these are to almost be expected at some point and at this level, but apart from that the improvement was there and almost from year to year!
  4. pakewi, the “low” intensity days you describe had to be of low(er) intensity by definition. Additionally, after a certain number of training days they had days (more than one it seems) completely off. I don’t know further details and not disputing other info. I am just trying to put the pieces together…
  5. how did they cope with the “boredom” factor? :rolleyes:
    Thoughts?

I think the Doubles could only be considered Submax.Surely at >85% intensities and growing over time.Lower intensity days were only those reserved for rest,when some athletes had the option to perform a warm up routine only.

Yes the periodization model they adopted is very interesting,and with multiple full days in a row dedicated only to rest and recovery.
The ratios and strategic placement of days on and off are very interesting too.

A pattern I recall:

3 ON
1 OFF
2 ON
1 OFF
3 ON
4 OFF

Numbers are (consecutive)days and that would represent a repeatable 14 day cycle.

Perform a search and look for Linarski’s posts on this site.
He used to give at least some information out about the unique Sprint training approach used by Tzekos and followers.

Again,everything extremely interesting and worth indagating. Tainted,but interesting.
A number of threads with some insights have been censored and cancelled over time on this Forum.
To bring on discussion I would make sure to stay on the training model side,even ignoring names and proponants.

Taking the last point on board, thanks!

1. if this is the case with low(er) intensity days, could it be regarded as “back up” (that’s the best definition I could come up with, KK :stuck_out_tongue: ) days? Is there any information on when these where placed during the week, or the set number of consecutive training days?
  2. why strategically interesting in your opinion? Practically speaking a championship would seem another “little” training block in their week. Are you specifically talking about these ratios, or something else though?
  3. going beyond the lactate power/capacity discussion for sprints (and power events in general), could this “system” be applied universally? If a “system” cannot be applied universally, is it a “complete” or “flawless” one?
    Thoughts?