John Smith Planification

nanny69

Do you have any details what they are doing for weight during GPP? and what about the rest?

Very interesting the difference in approach between charlie GPP and John GPP…

John Smith uses 3X10+3 bUT, the rests are short (2-3 minutes on squats with rests in other exercises as short as 30 seconds, squats are roughly up to 4X8X80 or 3X10X75 with 1 set of 3 higher the 3 rep part of 3X10+3 is not anywhere near comp). done with pauses of 3-5 seconds between reps (and done explosively) so the 3 rep set is not anywhere near a true 3RM. Keep this in mind when you see numbers like 435 squat for Mo He COULD have gone considerably higher (as Charlie mentioned) but JS’s weights are not structured that way.

I’m gonna follow this training program…I like…since you already know how I like planned programs…tamfb :smiley:

So since I squat 335, my 3 rep part would be approx how much?? 225 with 5 seconds in the negative?

The pauses are between reps, so controlled the negative maybe 2s then reverse fast and explode on the way up. On the top rest 3-5s then do another reps

For the weight to use, keep in mind that some would be able to be pretty fast at 90%RMx3reps other will need 75-80%RM. The explosion is the emphasis here, don’t go to the point where the speed slow down too much.

Does any one know the point of training in flats?
Whenever I try to do hills, or even flat grass runs in flats I can barely move because I’m slipping so much.

Since everything introduced slowly in his system, maybe he want to reduce the effect repetitive impacts would have on the body ???

Slipping ??? I don’t know If he train on grass, but It seems that It doesn’t hurt stand-up running, just the start-accel

If I remember correctly Bolt was doing some accel with flats…everytime I tried…It was a desaster…but start-accel with spikes is soo fast

Thanks to everyone so far, there is some great constructive discussions here

Fall (September - January) Based on the time of the year this would be GPP-1 ??? It looks nothing like what I have seen before from them

Monday:
3(3x60) + 2x200 meters Not sure for GPP??

Tuesday:
10x100 meters; no time, with equal distance walk recovery.

Wednesday:
5(5x70); no time work on technique

Thursday:
same as Tuesday

Friday:
8x150; no time 60% no time 60%…the intensity of the run 60% ???

Saturday:
Power warm-up

How many suboptimal run there is in all that year plan???

An old forum was talking about the absence of tempo in HSI, using starts(-5m?) on easy days

i will post 1 of the weeks for the GPP while i was here when i get home, i fly out tonight so will be offline for a few days… 15hrs in a plane will not be the highlight of my day

but their week briefly was…
Mon gym hills
Tue gym track
Wed massage, off or optional 30 min jog
thur gym track
fri gym hills
sat - off or optional 30 min jog
sun - off

this was week 3 off their GPP

Question: What are the rest periods for the 5x5x70 workout?

Please do not stop this thread…
Regarding acceleration…is that true that almost all runs (even slow 300) are started from 3 point with a powerful acceleration, even for just 5 steps?

I have read It somewhere??? But I can remember where, and I don’t know If Its true

Yes, even tempo runs.

Do you know If It is the case even with long runs during the GPP period

I see that 5 powerful steps as a good thing to work on starting mechanics

But then you’ll have to slow things down and enter into that mid intensity run. What will happen is that you’ll make a move to make yourself stand quite rapidly after the first 5 steps

Don’t you think this can cause drive phase mechanical problems?

My 5x5x70 question didn’t get answered…how long rest period between reps? sets?

John Smith believes very strongly in a LOT of acceleration practice, and this is why he does it. There is a lot of running out of blocks or 3pt.

The stated rest is walk back. This is a form workout rather than pure speed or SE.

Keep in mind that the training program listed above in this thread is from a seminar John Smith gave when he was the coach at UCLA (prior to HSI, or at least prior to HSI being known) and is listed as a preseason (i.e., GPP) program. The program can be found at coacheseducation.com here:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56

I can’t say whether John Smith used this program at UCLA, but I can say that it is NOT HSI training, at least not in the last 2 years when I’ve been there.

About some of the other things above…

The warmup plan mentioned earlier in this thread can be found in the 2007 USATF Podium Education Project (at usatf.org, under for coaches), where it was presented by JS himself. While some here like tamfb will want to argue about the needed length of a warmup, HSI is well known for long warmups, particularly for races and speed workouts (HSI won’t warm up that long for 5X300 in 39).

The GPP schedule Nanny posted is the type of thing one sees from JS in the early prep (4 days of work with Wednesdays off, but this changes later). But John Smith actually has an offseason training program that includes a wide variety of things (including beach runs and hills) that aren’t really done during normal training. This offseason program occurs in October. You might call it GPP(I), and the main GPP(II) starts in November, as it does for Bobby Kersee.

It’s sets you up for the latter part of your “race”… My coach tells me to do 3 powerfull steps, even when i have to run a 450(i’m a 100-200 sprinter)

The most Ill ever do is a 350 lol…100/200 sprinter as well…I’ll save the last 50 when I run the 400 in a relay lol