john lott

Watch the video and see guys 1/4-1/2 squatting 205lbs+.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1606

Didn’t Lott take over in Cleveland after Buddy Morris left the Browns? It seems like there is such a quick turnover in the league with strength coaches.

i have been knowing coach lott since he was at u of h back in the 90’s then he went to jets/browns/now cardinals. he is the guy you see on nfl network screaming at the combine guys during the 225rep test. he also train the santa monica track guys.

Ya I thought that might have been him, how do you think he stacks up against other NFL strength coaches. From the video he looks to be doing some things right

well anyone who performs the ol’s thats a start, and he is not like most pro strength coaches who like to change stuff when guys get at that level. the guys who keep training the way they did in college are the ones that are successful for long time periods.

Ya it’s strange, there is very little information or even worse, misinformation, on what NFL strength and conditioning programs look like. It seems to me that the general consensus by many is that most of the NFL is using inferior protocols. However, Charlie contradicted that when he said that most of the teams have good programs (he also emphasized that the Rams have a great program). I would think that most teams would use free weights and the OL’s.

i agree the rams program is very good i have some of there stuff around here. most pro teams dont do ol’s bc of safety etc, the teams that perform the core lifts are usually the better teams and teams like the texans, redskins programs suck.

What do the Rams do? OL based program?

ol’s:
pc
snatches
hang cleans

they follow a base periodization:
high volume on the core lifts for example 7x6-8 then gradually shift to someting like 6-5-3-3-3.

That looks like a pretty good set up, I’ve always wondered what most of the league does for speed work. I would assume that most teams do a lot of work in the 75-95% area.

i guess you could say that, some do big and small tempo runs: for example:

small tempo:
1-1-1
1-2-1
1-1-1

big tempo:
1-1-1
2-1-2-1
1-2-2-1
1-1-1

situp/pushups:
25 situps stride 100 / 10 pushups stride 100 contine for 10mins. there is also some short speed and agility work etc.

With setups like that it would appear that many teams are counting on the weight room to provide the main stimulus for explosiveness and acceleration abilities. If this is the case I can see why the OL’s can become very important for a program’s success.

A little of topic but recently I have come to think that with a comprehensive med ball program, one could entirely eliminate the use of OL in training. Assuming that speed work and max strength are already in place.

i think u misunderstood me, they do speed work it would look something like this:

bag drills
cone drills
target time sprints or sled pulls
4x10-20-30

Ok I see it now, I was confused for a minute. How many teams out there adhere to Charlie’s recommendations?

All I remember about Lott is him last year on the combine feeds screaming the most random stuff at the guys doing the bench press.

“LET’S GO TECH LETS GO TECH LIKE A YO YO UP AND DOWN LIKE A YO YO”

“YA THATS IT YOU’RE LIKE AN IGUANA AT A GAS STATION JUST FILL HER UP YA YA THATS IT”

“OK NOW KEEP IT GOING BE THE BAR YOU ARE THE BAR”

He didn’t actually say the last two as I made those up but still I probably would’ve dropped the bar on my friggin face if I heard the Yo-Yo bit lol.

good questions, you should ask cf. even the teams who follow cf setup, still mod the overall setup a ton.

he love saying meathead.

How many teams do you figure use the CF setup? I would assume that the Browns do with Myslinski (they did when he and Morris worked together). Other than that I really have no clue, except that Al Miller and Al Vermiel both consulted with Charlie at the very least

u think morris use cf system? i think morris take some of cf ideas and apply them to his team but hes mostly westside, we know that the thinker uses many of cf method with his skill guys.

I remember reading on EliteFTS that Morris used Charlie’s recommendations for sprinting. Although he is a Westside guy, it appears he uses a fairly comprehensive approach. He uses a lot of isos and eccentrics judging from the logs I have seen.