James Colbert's Methods and Principles Thread

sorry there is no such template for this. thats what i think u guys are having trouble with, it simply does not work like that. im sorry your asking me to do something that is beyond my ability, and your getting mad. its like asking a man to shit gold and then kicking his ass after he doesnt. im telling you guys what is with this system. you are so use to cookie cutter systems saying telling u to do this and that here and there. something you can run out and try right away. but sometimes i takes hours to figure out exactly what to do because unlike cookie cutter systems you are taking in considerations of pervious work and future work and varying volume accordingly.

a lunge or a push up at the extreme joint angle. contracting the proper muscles is the difficult part and its also not truly an isometric but an eccentric an extremely extremely slow eccentric. the idea is that movements that slow recruit high threshold units because of the firing frequency. the concept is a little hard to grasp and put in to terms but imagine if you were dragging something across the floor and you wanted to move it extremely slow you could pull continuously slow, or you could pull it rapidly turning on and off. the latter allows for even slower movements and this seems to be how the CNS controls movements this slow. imagine doing the back swing with a golf club and taking 5 min to go from club on ground to club over head.

How bout this

Week 1:

Choose 10-15 Restorative Warm-Up Exercises each day and perform 1-2 sets of 20 reps.

Weeks 2-4:

Session 1 (training days 8/16/24)

* Isometric Dead Lift Holds; N x 5 seconds (6% drop-off; perform on platform with an upright trunk, deep knee bend, and hip extensors in a stretch position; use a hex/trap bar, otherwise perform Isometric Olympic Squats)
* Rhythmic Scissor-Kick Leg Raise; 4 x 30 seconds (perform in a dip station by locking your arms tight, pressing your shoulders down, and scissor-kicking your legs into hip flexion)
* Starting-Strength Glut-Ham Raise; N x 3 reps (6% drop-off; perform each rep from a rested-pause position)
* Isometric HF/Bulgarian Squats; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off; hold a dumbbell in each hand by your sides and equally distribute the load/tension in the hip flexors and dorsi-flexors of your rear-leg and the hip extensors, knee extensors, and plantar-flexors of your front-leg)

Session 2 (training days 9/19/25)

* Static-Dynamic Dumbbell Bench; 6 Total Sets, two of each: (1) 10 second hold + 6 reps, (2) 6 second hold + 3 reps, (3) 3 second hold + 1 rep
* Oscillatory-Isometric Pull-up; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off; flex to peak tension before releasing as much tension as possible, then as soon as you achieve peak tension-release you will rebound back up to the iso-hold position; repeat for 30 seconds)
* Vibro-Isometric Preacher Curl; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off; perform one arm at a time, applying vibration to the working limb with your free arm – vibration is 60 Hz)
* Isometric Single Arm Lateral Raise; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off)

Session 3 (training days 11/17/21/27)

* Timed Front Raise; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Timed Side Raise; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Timed Rear Raise; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Timed Pec Fly; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Timed Dumbbell Curl; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Timed Pro-Sup Triceps Extension; 2 x 60 seconds rhythmic reps
* Isometric Parallel Bar Dips; 1 x 60 seconds
* Isometric Pull-up; 1 x 60 seconds

Session 4 (training days 12/20/28)

* Iso-Explosive Romanian Dead Lift; Reps per set: 3/6/3/6/3/6 (perform one set of 3 reps, reduce the weight by 20% and perform one set of 6 reps; pause each rep in extension for 3 seconds before exploding up; work up in weight for each 3/6 rep wave until your last set of 3 and your last set of 6 are both at near-maximal resistance)
* Oscillatory-Isometric HF/Bulgarian Squat; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off; flex to peak tension before releasing as much tension as possible, then as soon as you achieve peak tension-release you will rebound back up to the iso-hold position; repeat for 30 seconds)
* Oscillatory-Isometric Glut-Ham Raise; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off; flex to peak tension before releasing as much tension as possible, then as soon as you achieve peak tension-release you will rebound back up to the iso-hold position; repeat for 30 seconds) 

Session 5 (training days 13/29)

* Iso-Alternating Dumbbell Shoulder Press; 4 Total Sets: 10/5/10/5 (hold one arm in a static contraction near your shoulder, perform a rep with the opposing limb, then hold that arm in a static-contraction and do a rep with the other arm, repeat until 10 reps have been achieved with each arm; increase weight 20% from 10 rep sets to 5 rep sets, pushing near-maximal weights on your concluding two sets)
* Static-Dynamic Single Arm Bent Over Dumbbell Row; 6 Total Sets: (1) 10 second hold + 6 reps, (2) 6 second hold + 3 reps, (3) 3 second hold + 1 rep
* Oscillatory-Isometric Pectorals Fly; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off)
* Isometric Bent Over Rear Deltoid Raise; N x 30 seconds (6% drop-off)

Notes/Guidelines:

Warm-up and Cool-down with Restorative Warm-up exercises, including 2 sets of 10 reps/each on the four way hip machine before and after each lower body workout (flexions to extensions, then adductions to abductions). Perform “sportSim” on your lower body “off” days. There is a lot of freedom on these days; you can perform technical starts or peak velocity work, including drills, or you can practice any sport(s) you are interested in. The primary objective is to increase the strength of the input-output connection between your nervous system and your muscles, which means that you need to go hard enough to hone your technique but not so hard that you limit your number of quality repetitions. In fact, the goal is to get as many quality repetitions as you can without causing fatigue that will hinder your development in your primary strength sessions for this block. If you need more general conditioning then you can shorten your rest periods between exercise bouts, if you need to work more on technique then you may perform several mini-sessions throughout the day. Remember, the more you use nerve A to stimulate muscle B then stronger the connection will become – this efficiency will manifest itself in more effortless runs of greater velocity down the road. In order to achieve this, however, you must get your quality reps in – which means training on a frequent basis (daily, on your “off” days) and with many quality attempts each day. If you focus on going hard enough to build technique but not so hard that you set yourself back then everything will take care of itself – as per the dual-factor of fitness and fatigue on performance, we can always eliminate and/or reduce the volume of these sessions on a day-to-day basis in order to allow your body to super-compensate (read: don’t worry about “over-training” with one session). As you can see, I am very reluctant to throw out a bunch of strict guidelines in this regard because everyone is different. You should spend at least 30 minutes each day performing mental imagery sessions with the aid of a 10 Hz strobe light. Be sure to perform relaxation/breathing techniques prior to each session, then vividly imagine yourself performing well. Vibration-isometric stretching may be employed to relieve any tightness and soreness you are experiencing from your workouts, in addition to light TENS “tapping” and ice massage. Aside from diet and sleep and an occasional cat nap, these are the only specific restoration protocols that should be employed during this block – allow 6 hours after your training sessions to perform these restorative methods.

… ok???

We appreciate James’ time here. What I’d like clarified is: How would you change a program based on its duration- all year individual sport prep vs team sports where there is much less prep time.

Give us an example of this…

MIKE NIKE

Oh hell, here we go again… :slight_smile:
Saying that there is no posibilty to create generalized plan for hypothetical athletes is like saying you are unable to coach…
I allways have a plan or a system… without it I could not work… You should have defined goals and actions how to reach them… but you adapt your programming during the raching of the goals based on athletes reactions…
It is same as sailing, but you would say: dude, I have no general plan, I will go around sailing under my philosophy and adapt to wheather and my ship characteristic… But you will not come anywhere… Sure you have to do this, but you must know what you want to achive/where to come… You gotta have a map!!! Not turn left for 30deg, go 10miles, turn rigth 15deg kind’a cookie cutter program… No… you gott have a map! Provide us a general map!

How about a sample training week from one of your athletes? It doesn’t matter how good the athlete is, I think everyone just wants an example. If you are worried about it being taken out of context, you can specify your line of reasoning for each component. Case studies like these are useful for sharing coaching ideas.

Or better yet, just show people what you have been doing, James. I know you are training for this upcoming track season, so I am sure you have been doing something lately.

(a) Outline your methods/princliples in a progression format as charlie has done for each of his components (ie. short to long for sprinting, or his jump progression from box jumps all the way up to repeated plyos that he uses and has discussed in the past). This is what you suggested you wanted to do in the other thread.

How about a sample training week from one of your athletes?

Or better yet, just show people what you have been doing, James

I am not mad, I am just beginning to doubt applicability of what you say. Some of these tasks would require no more than a cut and paste. If you are unable to do any of these well than what good are your discussions?

And I dont appreciate the cookie cutter comment, you make it seem like we are all cavemen and are unable to think on our own.
Trust me I had many constraints to my training the past 2 years, namely 1hr of time when the weightroom was open that I could get to it, and no indoor track making it near impossible to get speed work in when there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. If I used Charlies straight templete this would have got me nowhere. I adapted it with great success.

If you would really like and this could solve your debate, though I am just saying this knowing you will say that you have no reason to.

I will tell you my constraints and current skill levels and I will do whatever you say until the end of the outdoor season barring rectal tempertature checks or any other invasive measure. And then we could see how your theories really hold up.

Beat me to it, perhaps the best way is for you to keep a training log here.

exactly, end this discussion, its going nowhere. Let him start a jounral, and dont flod it with questions. let him fill it out for a few weeks, then ask some questions. otherwise it will get too long and hard to read and understand.

I think James’ theories hold up beyond the fact he has real familiarity with applicability of what he says.At least he is tapping in very unexplored territories,and making an effort to substantiate his words with referenced materials.
It may only be a first step,but it may be something interesting to build upon.
What about analyzing at least some of his points,and coming up with possible applications first,and possibly with real templates later all together on this board?
Or you gentlemen all have the REAL THING out there yet?

I get the feeling James’ theories are heavily linked with DB Hammer/Inno Sport/Schroeder. That topic was beaten to death a while back. How is what he is saying any different?

I agree with Pakewi’s sentiments … are we shooting the messenger and not adressing the points?

Ok I know Charlie asked a question a while ago that still hasn’t been answered … so here’s mine …

Can the tolerance or limit (call it what you will) of the CNS be reset through training?

you nkow what i will keep a journal throughout the preseason and track season. i wont start i just as yet, mostly cause i think what im doing right now would bore most of you. but i will make a journal for all to see what i do with myself if you guys are patient with me.

your wrong on db hammer/inno sport right on schroeder. ive said it a million times the two are really quite unrelated.

Sounds good

[QUOTE]I think James’ theories hold up beyond the fact he has real familiarity with applicability of what he says.At least he is tapping in very unexplored territories,and making an effort to substantiate his words with referenced materials.
It may only be a first step,but it may be something interesting to build upon.
What about analyzing at least some of his points,and coming up with possible applications first,and possibly with real templates later all together on this board?
Or you gentlemen all have the REAL THING out there yet?[QUOTE]

I do not question James theories, I am in no position as I do not have enough background on the matter. All I have asked is to see something in the form of a track workout that would mirror it, as I am unsure of plataeuing effects and recovery. And James is willing to provide now, which is all I have asked for.

And I dont have the real thing and never said I have or am anywhere near it. In fact I state that optimal training is far away from the current state. And if you want more on my training you can look at my journal, its not great but it gets the job done.

RESET is the magic word…