It's still all about me

Hi John - how are you going lately??
I had a look at your drills video and your form
looks very good!
Good luck with you next 400m on Saturday

SB:)

I’m pretty good thanks. Apart from the hassle of my achilles which is variable from day to day things are consistent and I feel fine. It would be good to see that translated to good times! Not overly concerned about 400m time this weekend as the next few weekends are a bit odd

16 Jan = 400m
23 Jan = 100/200 or maybe 200 and a 300m on grass?
30 Jan = no races so will probably run 400m on grass
6 Feb = 100/200 or maybe 200 and a 300m on grass?
13 Feb = 400m
20 *& 21 Feb = Otago Champs

Thanks for the comment on the drills, personally thought they were a bit average and shows feet getting ‘slappy’ and losing tension…toes up.

Skip the 400m race on 13 Feb

Reckon? :confused: I’d be concerned at a lack of races over the distance, 1 all season which is tomorrow, and I don’t think I require a full 10 day taper.

Depends on comp program I would opt for
16 Jan = 100 and 200 Look at form dont fight your 1st comp
Mid week maybe 2 sets 3x200m on 90s rec at last 200m of 4 pace
23 Jan = 200 or maybe 200 and a 50sec on grass?
Mid week Maybe 3 sets 3 x150m @95% with 1min rec/10-15min set rec
30 Jan = no races probably run 60sec on grass
Mid week maybe 2 sets 300/150m rec 60s/30min
6 Feb = 200 or maybe 30s and a 45s on grass?
Mid Week Maybe 2 sets 2x200m with 2/30 rec Test (add times + 7-10%)
13 Feb = No Races or 100/200
20 *& 21 Feb = Otago Champs

I found a hard 4 hitout the week before didn’t allow my body to recovery enough for a champs week where you need to lift a bit more. Its hard to run yourself into shape with limited time.

Good Luck

Thanks for that I really appreciate you taking the time and thought but as you’ll see below things aren’t quite where they need to be…again! :rolleyes:

Sat 16 Jan

Auto Reg rating
+4

Track
2 x 10m walkback
2 x 20m 2 min rec
2 x 30m 3 min rec
2 x EFE 5 min rec

Power clean
60 sec rec
2s x 1r x 60, 62, 65
1 x 67

bench
3 min rec
5r x 50, 57
65 x 9r

S/set with 60 sec between reps
1 arm db row 32db x 5s x 8r
Incline DB press 22db
2s x 8r palms facing
1s x 8r, 4 x pf 4 x normal
1s x 8r normal

stretch & abs

Rating

warmed up for 400m and decided not to risk it as achilles not quite right. Although disappointing I know it was the right decision.

Auto Reg rating
+4

Conditioning
L + S tempo

abs & stretch

Rating

achilles hardly an issue at all, if it had been this good yesterday I’d have raced :rolleyes:

Auto Reg rating
+4

Grass
2 x BFR 6 min rec
2 x 200+200 90 sec / 30 min rec

Power clean
60 sec rec
2s x 1r x 60, 62, 1 x 65 :rolleyes:

Standing DB press
3 min rec
3r x 17, 19
22 x 5r

Chins 5s x 8r
Dips 5s x 8r

stretch & abs

Rating

trained on grass and in flats, achilles not bad slowly getting there

hey john,
do you think you may be overtraining hence the achilles and calf problems.there is a lot of volume in your training.

Very good valid question and most definitely that was the case with when I hurt my calf. From then on was the classic not fully healed so tweaking again…and again. With the Achilles it is quite different though and I am 99.9% sure it was a case of going from training on sand which even the firmest had quite a bit of give to a considerably harder surface even though it was grass. The annoying thing is the Achilles isn’t that bad, just not quite right. Apart from that I feel REALLY good and fresh.

The volume may seem high but there isn’t that much at high intensity.

Auto Reg rating
+2

Conditioning
L + S tempo

abs & stretch

Rating

No dramas ,just that I saw this type of workout for a high intensity day and thought it was a lot of volume.Glad its going well for you.
Track
2 x 10m walkback
2 x 20m 2 min rec
2 x 30m 3 min rec
2 x BFR 6 min rec
300 @ 48.98
30 mins
200 @ 30.88

Plyos
2 x 20m walkback rec
Running As
Skip Bounds
Straight leg
Sprint Bounds
2 foot hops
LLRR

Power clean
60 sec rec
2s x 1r x 60, 62,
1 x 65

Standing DB press
3 min rec
5r x 14, 17
19x 7r

Chins 5s x 8r
Dips 5s x 8r

stretch & abs

the first part
2 x 10m walkback
2 x 20m 2 min rec
2 x 30m 3 min rec

and to a lesser extent the
2 x BFR 6 min rec

is actually almost the end of my warm up. Till then I have done nothing more than dynamic stuff (starting off really slowly ) and 3 x easy stride outs in trainers to 50m. The 2 x 10m is the first effort with spikes on. I use that ‘lot’ pre race but swap the BFR (Buildup, Fast, Relax) with EFE.

Dropping squats has made a HUGE difference to my energy levels. I’m still not entirely sure if that will be a long term thing though and am thinking through a few different things …as always :stuck_out_tongue:

Auto Reg rating
+2

Conditioning
7 x 300m* on 2 mins

abs & stretch

Rating

• paced it out as a straight run so maybe not exactly 300m but very close as 11 of my paces are almost exactly 10m.

Here are some pics from holiday

this is one of a beach on the West Coast that has HUNDREDS of stone cairns

L skimming stones at the beach across the road from where we stayed

along the beach

and another

here’s a cool store we stopped at

Auto Reg rating
+4

Track
2 x 10m walkback
2 x 20m 2 min rec
2 x 30m 3 min rec
2 x EFE 5 min rec

Races
100 @ 14.55 + 1.3
90 mins
200 @ 30.69 -0.5

Power clean
60 sec rec
2s x 1r x 60, 62, 65

bench
3 min rec
5r x 52, 62
72 x 5r

1 arm db row 32db x 5s x 8r
Incline DB press 22db 5s x 8r

stretch & abs

Rating

my stunning form continues. :rolleyes: So far this season versus last, which wasn’t very good, my best is over 0.5 slower in 100m (today’s 0.81 slower) and nearly 1.5 sec in 200m (today’s 2.34 sec slower).

I doubt I could have been tighter in the 100m and probably shouldn’t have run the 200m as Achilles was quite sore but right now I actually don’t really even give a shit if I get badly injured. :eek: I’m past frustrated and really don’t care. This is not a good sign!!! My blaséness carried through to my weights where my last set of bench should have been 70…oh well.

Auto Reg rating
+2

Hurdles
6 x 10 hurdles overs
6 x 10 hurdles over / under

Conditioning
L + S tempo

abs & stretch

Rating

Achilles quite sore at the start, but not as bad as I thought it may have been, it eased up as I progressed but still not great.

Very likely I will not race again this season.

Why is that?

If you haven’t already I suggest you read

[i]my stunning form continues. So far this season versus last, which wasn’t very good, my best is over 0.5 slower in 100m (today’s 0.81 slower) and nearly 1.5 sec in 200m (today’s 2.34 sec slower).

I doubt I could have been tighter in the 100m and probably shouldn’t have run the 200m as Achilles was quite sore but right now I actually don’t really even give a shit if I get badly injured. I’m past frustrated and really don’t care. This is not a good sign!!! My blaséness carried through to my weights where my last set of bench should have been 70…oh well.[/i]

In any context that is f&*(%d up. Not really caring in general about results is one thing but whether or not I get seriously injured takes it to a whole new level.

Pre Christmas I was able to find some reasoning that I was still training hard with a high volume, although similar to other seasons, and at least was progressing following my 2 ½ month injury hassle till late October. I trained REALLY well while away on holiday and felt really good only to pick up this Achilles niggle the first day back. With careful management such as training in flats on grass it got a bit, and at times a lot better, then regressed. After my warmup on Saturday I wasn’t even 100% sure I should do the 100m and it was quite sore after that so doing the 200m was downright stupid. There is nothing pointing to a vast improvement over the next few weeks that would make the season anything resembling mediocre so why bother. I think I’m better to cut my losses and just train, which I do enjoy, and give myself an opportunity to come right and hopefully actually improve next season.

Got it! I hope that article and the strap help you!