Is This a Good Enough Weight Lifting Routine for the 100 meter Dash?

I’m 24 and I’m a newbie to track and field. I haven’t read any books or anything on how to train for the 100 meter dash. By doing the following routine I not only want to develop the muscles that are essential for the 100 meter dash I also want to develop my beach muscles. If any one of you know how to tweak my routine a little so that I can reach my goals more efficiently it will be fully appreciated. I don’t want to deviate too far from my original plan however as this plan that I laid out hits every muscle that I deem essential for looking good on the beach. I have been doing this routine for 3 weeks now and I am already noticing a change in the way my body looks. I don’t want to lose any muscle anywhere on my body.

Here is my weight training routine:

Monday

Squat 12 12 12
Straight legged Dead lift 12 12 12
Calf raises 15 12
Bicep curls 12 10
ab wheel

Wednesday

Lateral raises 12 10
Dumbbell press 12 10
Inclined Dumbbell press 12 10
Dips 12 10
ab wheel

Friday

Bent over lateral raises 12 10
Straight legged Deadlifts 12 12 12
Chin ups 12 10
Pull Ups 12 10
ab wheel

I will be doing plyometrics and track work on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday…

which is more important looking good or running fast? :confused:If you want to use weights to run fast then get http://shop.charliefrancis.com/collections/weights if not there are a gazillion weights programs you could use.

I can’t tell if it’s a serious questions.

Did Charlie athletes have “beach” muscles?

Most of the team had a similar look.
Otherwise go and buy Arnold’s encylopedia of modern bodybuilding.

You want to develop beach muscles and sprint at the same time?

What are you doing on the track?

It’s a good question to help others understand the difference between looking good vs performing.

Here is something I have commented on often when people ask about training, weights, getting fit and improving their speed.

Quality in all things has a look and it’s pleasing to the eye, it’s natural and it’s unique.

Short cuts in training, beauty, food, design, you name it, catches the eye and it’s ugly or desperate or sad. As harsh as that comment and statement is, it’s a truism of art and beauty.

“LOOKS RIGHT, FLYS RIGHT” was the original title Charlie came up with regarding his thoughts on naming what became “Speed Trap”. I loved it but the marketing team used SpeedTrap which is a good marketing title. For those interested in weights and strength as it pertains to how you might look, start to become a student regarding the process of training. Try not to look at the end result and panic. I’ve had results with most in less than 2 weeks by showing and coaching simple warm up, a few drills and easy running. Once you establish some baseline fitness you can begin to build from there and focus on key lifts that are helpful for speed training. ( The quarter squat, bench, arm pulls, deads and extensive medicine ball drills which cover off as an all around body workout which can be used to warm up, workout or supplement weight training.
Calf raises are a complete waste of time which will help you injure your feet or lower limbs faster so if you are after that, keep at this body building move.
Squats in this volume are fine if you have not been doing squats yet and are building your anatomical base but are they quarter squats or full or half?
Bicep curls are like calf raises as both of these areas will be taken care of with a proper speed training program.

How do calf raises help injure your feet/lower limbs faster? Just curious

Hi Eve,

Have you checked out weights for speed? It was one of the last projects Charlie did to explain how he used weights for elite sprinters.

If you are a sprinter or runner you are getting a great deal of use from your calves during the warm up, drills and speed work. Weights for speed is meant to supplement speed training not take over or dominate the training routine. Sure, you might know someone who works on their calves in the gym and is a sprinter but at what level? And yes, likely there are exceptions to all the rules of some of the best sprinters in the world. Sprinting is one of the most intense physical activities you are able to perform in sport and practicing speed training properly trains the muscles needed over time.
It’s important to point out that an athlete and coach or parent need a plan for consistent success in speed training and it takes 7 to 8 years to properly train and develop an elite sprinter. You are not mentioning speed training in your question and historically the body building community has had the most influence on the training information via their certifcation programs. Body building traditionally was about how a body looked opposed to how the body functioned. My understanding is the trend has changed in the body building world to include more functional training so that the
muscles have higher density ( which reflects true strength opposed to strong and big) Success in anything requires consistent behavior over time and injuries not only slow the process down but might stop you or whomever from achieving their short and or long term goals.
Maybe calf raises performed for some people work for them in a a moderate and controlled way but if we are discussing sprinting it’s important to make the distinction away from speed training.

So is it just overuse? Is that the danger?

I don’t think I’ve checked out Weights for Speed - where can I find it? And is it up to date? Sorry for all the questions. I don’t have a sprints coach and am going off the training knowledge I have from being a high level athlete 13 years ago.

Thanks!

Do you know what happens when " it’s just overuse"?

Coach Charlie Francis quit his sprinting career in-spite of having a 5th in the world ranking. What a huge loss to have quit a sport he was so very talented in before he was 24 years old. Athletes in 2022 are able to sprint into their late 30’s with proper information, training, therapy and care with the right coaching and planning.

How many of you in 2022 would quit your passion due to an overuse injury? How many of you would have to quit? Quitting something at 20 years old might be different than quitting when you are 40 years old, yeah? ( for sure)

Was the sprinting community different in the 1970’s than it is in 2022?

Why don’t we have John Smith and Dan Pfaff or Bobby Kersee do commentating at any of the major championships? Why don’t we get the top Jamaican coaches to talk on CNN and 60minutes or do in depth interviews with our leading journalist of 2022 to talk to us about the great sport of track and field?

Is too much information dangerous?

I hurt my calf in September 1997. I was wearing high heels with Angie Taylor and the two of us went out to dance and dance we did. That was on a Saturday night and Monday late afternoon I was demonstrating a skipping routine for a client and hurt my calf. Late March or early April 1998, I decided with Charlie to have a baby and stop competitive running. Some sprinters might be able to get away with what happened to me and maybe it was time for me ( thank goodness it was as becoming a mom has been my greatest job and achievement outside of marrying James’s dad) to do different but my calves couldn’t handle the stress of high heels and dancing while having extreme training load from my fall training routine. I work exceedingly hard to recover from that injury and sometimes I feel I should have just stopped trying so hard for a bit and then resumed training but I did not do that.

Is Weights for speed up to date? I have no idea what that means. The information in Weights for Speed is helpful because it explains what and why Charlie did as a coach for one of the most dominate speed groups one coach has coached any group of sprinters. ( And Charlie funded and started that group from a lump of money he had after selling his Aston Martin sports car. Sponsors eventually joined in once the results started but he was virtually unfunded for some time BEFORE he made anything. The minute he started making money as in September of 1987 and that latest until September 27th 1988.

Questions are good.
What was your sport and event and are you now coaching or competing again?

I didn’t realize Weights for Speed was one of your books (I just joined this forum today). I can’t seem to find it on your website though. Where can I check it out? EDIT: Just remembered I bought your “Training for Power and Speed” a few years ago, - I see it mentions purchasing the video tutorial “Weights for Speed” from the website.

Overuse is no joke, I know, I’ve had all sorts of injuries, including getting over a meniscus tear at the moment.

I was a footballer (soccer player). Speed, particularly acceleration, was my strength. I’m late 30s now, so looking to get into Masters 60m/100m soon (once my knee’s 100% or close enough).

1 Like

“Is this good enough weight lifting” RE = 100m

This statement made me laugh out loud.

The idea of anything being good enough for an elite athlete seems at odds with what I have lived and seen over the past 3 + decades.

Having said that does Charlie own all the knowledge for the men and women’s 100m dash?

No, he certainly does not.

but gee whiz it’s tough NOT to love his coaching as it’s so REPEATABLE.

Three tips to NOT mess up your sprinting and speed sessions.

1. MAKE sure your warm up includes jogging on grass around the track 3 to 4 times, then include karaoke, side skips, arm circles over a 100m or 50m distance in a back and forth style. The warm up should be easy and not forced and continuous. Take a look at this blog. Warming Up for Sprinting in Track and Field – Charlie Francis Archives

2. Strength is key to sprinting and there is lots of debating about how to get that strength as it pertains to sprinting. Charlie does a great job explaining why you need to get the speed done at the track first and then add on your lifting. (see Weights for Speed Download(s)
    Weight lifting exercises for speed training – Charlie Francis Archives

3. Educated yourself with the best content you can find and verify that information regarding the results you know are connected to that information. As much as many would like to say different, it’s difficult to argue with how much success Charlie had as a coach.

Enjoy and happy sprinting.