Is max strength important

It depends. Like I said, I’ve never seen someone able to do 5x5 @ 85% of their real 1RM. If they put in something that is a bit easier than their true 1RM (perhaps what their max that they could do on any given day or a gym max or something like that), then it is possible. The other thing is that a lot of people might simply get better at the lift. A lot of people just switch their lifts and add “5%” (or more) of strength onto the lift, mostly just because they haven’t done the lift much before and become more skilled with it.

I think there is more carry over to track when you train the muscles, not movements.

I have always been strong in the weightroom with singles and triples, but anything but the right muscles for speed lifted those weights (with me anyway)
Feel much better with MUSCLE training at higher reps, 6-10.

Question:
Since it’s going OK, why not stick to general 6-8 rep stuff in SPP and push the speed ? Do I have to go heavy ?
I can save the heavy stuff for peaking periods … ?

If you’re continuously getting better, why change anything? That might be the better question IMO. Plus, you don’t have to necessarily go heavy with lighter weights. 80% isn’t light by any means (5 reps @ 80% of true 1RM will be work for anyone, even if there are a couple left in the tank) so you could do that for sets of 2-4 if you wanted to change things slightly.

On my charts 80% is an 8RM. Most of the lifters I know could do 5 x 5 at 80% with 3-5 minutes rest.

Not after a track workout.

• Remember the original topic???

He said

“5x5 with >80%”

Guess what “>” means.
Hint: It doesn’t mean “=”

I’m a pretty good level long jumper (7.85m +) and i think it’s vital to lift in the 1-3 rep range at 85-95%. Think about the demands of the LJ and to me it’s easy to figure out why it’s so important.

For a sprinter however, i think it’s still important but slightly less important as power has to be transfered over a long time period…Still should always be in the program though.

Your work capacity must be low. 5x5 @80% after a track workout is not that much. I’ve known many good athletes who do much more than that in one session and even more when they do 2 sessions in a day.

It was >80% so 5x5x85%+… My speed workouts are at times 1000 meters, 20-50 hurdle hops then off to the weight room for cleans then squats. It’s not about getting through the workout but is it ideal?

Well 1000m of speed is much higher than what i do and also you do more hurdle hops than i ever do as well so i can imagine now why you’d be tired for the weights.

If you don’t know how to use it then why bother. I know a 70 year old male that has done 3 x leg press at 400kg (4 spotters under age 30), he takes 15 seconds to run 100m. Great start no finish, who cares who is in front 1/2 way to the finish.

tamfb, are you talking about strength in general, or something like a 1RM vs 10RM?

For the former, it is kind of obvious, so I’m guessing that is not what you are asking.

The later will be more individual. I don’t think it matters too much what you are striving for repetition-wise as long as you are progressing. If I was forced to pick a repetition range of 1-3 or 8-10, I would pick 8-10 because ultimately I will make more progress training that way. Ultimately I will really have more max strength even though I’m not technically training for max strength according to the modern definition.

Then it isn’t their max or they’re taking 10+ minutes rest. I’ve seen plenty of powerlifters and elite athletes (read people who competed in the Olympics and made it past the first round) who couldn’t do 3x5 @ 80% with ~3mins rest, let alone 5x5.

I also know many who can…

I for one can do 3x5 @80% with 3 min rest…without a doubt. And yes it is a true 80%.

You already stated that your sprint volumes are on the low end.

Could they be talking about 85% of the 5RM? This would still be fairly fatiguing over the entire 5 sets whilst providing enough stimulus to increase muscle density. I could be wrong.

With reference to the original question, obviously a degree of strength is necessary for the start + first 20m, and injury prevention. However, I think it is most important to consider individual differences and gauge how well an athlete is going to respond to max strength training (in terms of improvements) and make a decision based on that. Lankier Guys like Bolt need strength to protect them a bit, but may not respond to this sort of training in the same way that they might from top speed or speed endurance development, whilst on the other hand, shorter athletes like Ben Johnson (Tyson Gay even?) present a bigger envelope of improvements in this respect, as they are naturally explosive and have great turnover.

Another question-will a period of max strength training (say, 12 weeks) necessarily slow an athlete down, if only temporarily? Could you work on top speed and max strength at the same time, or would this result in CNS overload due to the considerable intensity of both things.

I count the reps per 10 seconds and program accordingly.

Okay, Nick.

Yes correct…i’d say 300m per session mostly…

lol…not at all.