Is Liu Xiang gonna do it?

Or cave under the pressure?

John

This is my opinion only, but I think that pressure won’t matter if Robles runs his race. I think Robles is faster right now.

He was just shown on tv warming up, touched his hammy several times and did a lot of elongation.

Liu looks terrible and Trammel just cripped his hammy. Liu looks like he’s going to die in these warmups.

He just left after a FS. He’s out. Good call actually. I’m proud of him.

yeah, wth happened to these two, played twister all night ?:confused:

It’s a damn shame. I’m glad he called it quits though. Very smart decision on his part. Btw, how old is he?

shit man, i feel for xiang liu, they said its an achilles problem. He was sitting down icing his right achilles. Hope he could rehab and still compete at the elite level.

He’s out.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Watching the press conference live, with the coach and a deleguate answering questions. They say the problem is a chronic injury for years but now it get worse and during warm-up, 3 docs were treating his left foot, close the heel bottom of achilles. They say the achilles is sane though. The conference is a nightmare for the coach who is crying and sometimes can’t no longer speak as he takes his head into his hands.
Liu Xiang won’t be competing anymore this year.

this is crazy when i heard some of this info revealed regarding his tendon. When they said the achilles issue was their before 2004, that blew my mind. That is a feat in itself that he was able to rise to elite level, win olympics 04, world champs 07, couple world records, and remain at the top, on deteriorating tendons:eek: .

i wonder what the rehab and maintenance protocol would look like. Probably MRI mania over the years.

That’s so sad (really). It’s also scary that even the man with possibly one of the best support systems in the history of the world encounters injuries that can’t be remedied.

Yeah and right before the olympics his chronic problem started to act up again. First Tyson Gay and now this guy.

wonder if francis obikwelu retirement has anything to do with non-publically known chronic achilles tendon problem over the years. 05/06/07 seemed to be somewhat below his highest level. According to this article he had a sore left achilles tendon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=3483580&section=trackandfield

noticed he was a DNS in the 200 heats. maybe his left achilled inflamed on him.

Massaging an inflamed achilles tendon so close to competition! I really wonder whose idea that was – perhaps a last desperate resort?

Just before leaving the waiting room Liu Xiang went to kick the wall a few times with his right foot.

Was that simply Liu Xiang venting his mounting frustration at not being able to defend his title?

Let’s hope he recovers from this unpleasant episode and go on competing at his best.