Is anyone thinking of going to this conference?

I was asked to do post graduate research, but was told my paper for my degree would good to do but my conclusion would not sit well with the thinking on the topic. I read 150 research papers for this paper, of the 150, 90 of them used research from the same 6 people. Of the other papers, 60 of them, the reference where from disciples of those 6 people.

None of them have worked in the real world a day in their lives.

My understanding of theory is there is basically two types. What people are doing and what people should do. One is based on history the other is based on theory developed by academics. Both useful but little relevance to the real world of the present.

The next speed conference will preach:

• 1 legged cleans on a bosu ball
  • 1km repeats to build work capacity
  • functional movement screen perfection prior to any form of physical activity, or else your body will break
  • an emphasis that perfect mechanics builds an athlete
  • no mention of programming or periodization
  • Cite the gifted athletes these coaches have trained as proof, or some obscure study

double post

This guy Taha is a freakin’ idiot. Stick to what you know Taha – burying your freakin head in a book.

This guy Taha is a freakin’ idiot. Stick to what you know Dr. Taha – burying your freakin head in a book. His replies are a testament to his ignorance:

• “sprinting is a single leg activity”
  • “Research shows that Charlie’s weight program was good for certain parts of the stride, but not all of it.”

I find it interesting that someone did research specifically on Charlie’s wt. program. This must be very recent material as I feel that someone on this site surely would have made the rest of us aware of such “research”. Is it actually Dr. Haha? Who is this guy and as Charlie might say, what rock did he crawl out from under?

They need to do research on Charlie’s entire program.

Ok from the sounds of it, Im glad I didnt bother to go much less shell out I think it was $75 for the dvd. I think I would have shared it with pioneer, speedcoach, and esti and they all would have said WHAT THE HECK!

Well - Hack masters will have to settle for slightly slower times :slight_smile:
Now 35 - that means i’m now officially a Hack Master too :slight_smile:

LOL
You can add a presentation on bashing the coaches who’ve been producing over and over and are not there to defend themselves.

Can anybody share what were Seagrave presentiions about?
I’m mostly interesting in what Larry Bell said.

Maybe someone else can fill this in a little better, but from what I heard Seagrave’s presentation was about:

• Faster athletes needing a higher projection angle from the blocks (???)
  • Projection angles are parallel to the block face (ie. 55 degree block face, 45 degree projection)
  • His warm up is super long (45 mins)
  • Top speed focused on negative foot speed

I’ve got 2 friends that went and took notes, maybe I’ll borrow them and type them up for the forum.

I went to Dr. Bell’s presentation, I didn’t take as many notes as I should have, but he has a very good reputation as someone who knows how to get to the bottom of things. I’ll see if I can get some notes off my coach for PierreJean. He went into a lot of detail about the foot, and how limited range of motion in certain areas of the foot can negatively impact things up the chain.

For the record, I followed up with Dr. Taha by email the day after the conference and requested that he substantiate his claims by pointing me to the relevant studies so I could take them into proper consideration. As of right now, I haven’t received a reply.

To be honest, I think I enjoyed Tom Tellez’s presentations the most, even though he is decidedly old-school. He is not the world’s greatest presenter (someone needs to give Tom a copy of Dartfish), but as my coach put it, he is a very intuitive guy who emphasized getting the big things right and not wasting too much time on bullshit (current top “bullshit” includes low heel recovery, fancy weight programs, overemphasis on acceleration phase, overemphasis on dorsiflexion). Get in the blocks, run out, and run your race.

He kept things simple, but again, he is all about keeping sprinting simple. What I noticed is that the things Tellez said washed over me over the following few days, and it made me think that you’d want to get Tellez on the track with you and watch him operate there, not in a room full of coaches. The man obviously has an “eye for motion” as he put it.

I don’t agree with Seagrave’s mechanics, so I didn’t bother getting riled up about his dorsiflex off the ground philosophy. I used to do it naturally, and it was a disaster. Clearly some top athletes use something approximating it, so I’m not saying it’s invalid, but I wouldn’t coach it myself.

The thing I remember most about Seagrave is when he did a quick review of a weekly training block in the workout planning seminar. He had a hill day that looked like this:

3x30m, 3x60m, 3x90m, 3x120m

Holy shit!

i can speak for tom as i have been coached by him many years ago. he knows alot if you want detail but he gives the athlete exactly what he needs to know…no BS or highly technical speech- just gives 1 or 2 cues and let it happen.

tom is old school but look at the athletes he mentored! there is success in his methods fact and is L-S. he is very technical and has a great eye BUT eventhough you think he may not be watching you he knows what your doing. he gives you praise when you do it right and advice when you do it wrong but a great coach and a very very kind man who id love to meet again someday!

I find it interesting Seagrave has gone from the dynamic warm up to a “super long”. There would be less fibre damage with the longer warm up but both seem to be aimed at lactic.

I have never seen Seagraves use a short warm up.

People consider 45 minutes long. I would consider more normal than anything else. My competition warm up took 45 minutes at its shortest to 70 minutes at its longest. The difference relates more to how I was feeling on the day and the weather as the initial general (low intensity) warm up was to ensure the body aches and pains reduced before moving forward.

The hack threshold is 12.50 FAT(according to me) so if you’re faster than that you’re just a master!
:slight_smile:

did he say if any of the runs were downhill

I can’t say I saw him use it but I was handed a bit of paper by a coach in the know, I was told it was the Seagrave dynamic warm up. From memory it was a 10 minute flat out up and down warm up. I screwed it up and put it in a bin, I never used it.

Thanks Sady. I have somewhere warm ups of Seagraves. Might see if I can fish them out.

I’m not sure of the uphill grade, but I’m hoping for the sake of the athletes that it was mild!