Injured Sprinters Quest to PR

That 6.9s 60m will have you at 3.6s flying 40m over the last 60-100m if you want to hit that 10.5. Thats a pretty serious flying 40m in relations to your first 30m.

Ato Boldon ran 3.57s for his last 40m in 97 to run 10.02s.

Before hitting that sort of speed, you’ve got to get your accelerations up to an equivalent 60m time.

what do you suggest i adjust to

6.8 for a 10.5 would be more applicable. Working on acceleration along with speed would help this.

Whats your previous pr in the 60m?

Although it wouldn’t be impossible to run a 10.5 off a 6.9, you would have to have a serious top end speed and a pretty bad start and acceleration phase.

7.1, 10.8,22.1

Your 200m strength must helped your 100m time a lot.

lol im horrible at the 200 i should be running 21 point, and that was a pr time id mostly 22.2-22.4

I was comparing it to your 60 and 100m times. My 60 time is faster but your 200m is faster and our 100m time is similar.

oh i see it might be deceptive because i only ran two 60m races ( my first ever), and then i got injured. the 200m time is a PR from last year( my 100 pr from last year is 10.7). typically my 200 is poor…i have ran 10.9/22.4,11.0-11.1/22.7-22.9, 11.2/23.0. My aim last season was to improve my 400m to improve my 200m but i got hurt my only 200 was indoors (23.5) coming off a injury layoff and it was my first time running on a bank track.

Goals for next year – 6.9-7.0x,10.5,21.4-21.5,50.X

I think you need a 6.7-8 60m to hit 10.5 in the 100m…

Looking over it, i think you are right i feel like the start/ acceleration and the end (especially at the beginning of the season) are the weaker parts of my race but the middle feels decent. honestly i dont feel like any part of my race is good but those are the worse. My biggest problem right now is to shake off these injuries. whats your 60m time?

yeah 6.7-6.8 is a better goal. Your 60m time is probably better then you think at this point if you’ve run 10.8 and haven’t run many 60 times.

If you hit that goal indoors, you should be set for a 10.4-10.5 outdoors, depending on how things progress.

Working out those injuries will be a huge deal. You’ll need to look at volumes of speed vs rest and recovery in your weekly cycles. Your monthly cycles and how they progress and how much backing off you need. What kind of therapy you need. Perhaps frequent softball roll downs of the hamstring and any other method of recovery that could be appropriate.

I’ve always found strength work and running mechanics play a seizable role in injuries. Are your legs strong enough?

How do you typically advance into sprint training? Some people go from slow to fast and that destroys their legs. How long do you prepare for competition (SPP)? How long is your GPP?

GPP is mostly Ext tempo (late august/Sep-Nov), getting into acc dev near the end. I tried to be gradual with the speed workouts for example i would only add 10m per rep every week or so. Im adding more intensive tempo (5x200 kitkat workout) and acc type workouts (short hills) earlier this year though. I kept everything on grass early season and (except for the 5x200) i plan to do that again this year i dont know if i should wait for these injuries to go away even though they have been plaguing me for months. I’m bieng more proactive about treating them this season but i feel like the fact that i’m starting this season in a worse condition than last year is just the start of a continuing trend.

One of my major goals last year was to get my legs stronger/ improve glute activation and thats was one situation where i hurt myself because i’m kind of OCD about completing a workout. I hurt my calf and now it gets tight whenever i try and run but I keep telling myself its only mental and i run through it…probably not a good idea but i would never get any workouts done. I did notice a change in my running mechanics but it was mostly on longer reps (pretty much anything 200 and up) not in the speed workouts. I’m going to attempt to fix that this year and i’m going to try more unilateral lifts.

Other than GPP i dont really have a set plan for my season because i’m in the northeast and once the cold sets in I dont have access to an indoor facility easily so its hard to really have a structured plan. I’m still trying to figure out what to do about that. I was thinking about working out on a gym floor but that wont give me enough room and it would probably be hard on my legs.

Just curious about how you progress from ext. tempo to accels?

If you’re getting injured all the time going from ext. tempo to accels then that might be the problem itself. You need to build up intensity on accels and speed. So high volume low recoveries on accels and speed(intensity limit) in order to throttle down the intensity.

Building up intensity on ext. tempo does nothing to prepare you for all out sprints.Only building up intensity on all out sprints prepares you for all out sprints.

Make sure you deal with those injuries first and foremost.

i start out with 6 days of tempo then drop one day and make it a speed day until i have 3 speed days by the end of the season. i dont think the transition is what did me in because i was fine during the early part of the season and most of the injuries except for the calf came off the track. I had to actually stop acc dev in november and didnt really get back into it until april because of the weather. Ill see how my plans work this season but the injuries definitely are priority.

Yr.2-Week 1

8/16/09
Moist heat
Little more than 2mile run (800m on pavement, 1 mile on grass, 800m on pavement)
10/22:36
Static stretch

Heating pad on calf
Ice on quads—was already feeling a little soar by the time I did this so it might not be effective.

Comments: first 400 felt good then I started dieing by 800 then my heart was hurting by 1200 as I slowed to a creep. It was all quads and they are killing me now, my calf started acting up but there was not as much problems from the groin as I expected. I was going to try and muscle it home but I had to remind myself that I was supposed to be an easy run – despite how difficult it was.

8/17/09
GS circuit x2
Single leg squatx15
Pushupx20
Side squatx15
Stationary backward lungex10
Starjumpsx15
Supermanx20
Mountainclimbersx15
Static stretch
Ice quads and hamstrings
Moist heat on arm, lower back and side

Comments: very sore today was planning on acc dev but went with the GS circuit hopefully ill feel better tomorrow. Lowerback is bad, hopefully my side will get better soon so I can get back to core work. My calf is acting up again I might have to really adjust my season plans. The exercises in the circuit were modified so that I didn’t use, or used as little as I could, my left arm/chest area.

8/18/09
Moist heat
10 minutes continuous activity
5x20 sec arm pump, 20sec bicycle
mule-kicks, fire hydrant, superman, flutter kicks
static stretch
heating pad

comments: sore still, but wanted to get some activity in before rest tomorrow. Arm/chest didn’t react well to arm pumps…probably wont get to acc dev this week and int temp 200s on Friday are looking hard

8/19/09
Rest

8/20/09
Moist heat earlier in the day
5min jog
static stretch
3 min jog on pavement
dynamic stretch
2x10x10m hills, walk back recovery, 5 mins between set
90%, in trainers, on grass
3 min jog
2xGS circuit- Single leg squatx15
Pushupx20
Side squatx15
Starjumpsx15
Supermanx20
Mountainclimbersx15
(didn’t do- 2x15sec arm pumps and 30s plank)
Static stretch
Cold shower

Comments:mechanics weren’t that bad but it did become sloppy near the end. Don’t feel that I have lost that much speed which is good so it will be easier to build on for the season. Left hamstring started hurting I think I had aggravated it when I was doing massages a while back, calf is really tightening up with no cure in sight. Pretty much all the injuries are still lingering around.

8/21/09
Rained out

8/22/09
800m jog on grass
static+ dynamic stretch
3x200
2x200 @ 85-90%, 2mins between reps, 10mins between set in spikes
28,26.6,27.2, 26.8,29.4
(TP- 28, 26.3,26.8, 26.3,27.4)
1 min jog
11 min walk
static stretch

moist heat

Comments: As far as the times I estimate that I should be able to run a 23.0 200m right now so i think the goal of 26.0 for the reps is good. workout was pretty hard, pacing was bad. I was reminded of how poor my form is, coming of the curve and onto the straight I had poor knee lift and triple extension and after the workout my left arm anterior delt/pec area was hurting so it think its in worse shape than I originally thought to the point where it probably will hinder my faster workouts. I really died out on the last 200 and then I had to lay down for a while. I tried to jog but then I don’t know if its paranoia or what but I felt my calf tightening up and I didn’t want to catch a cramp so I walked. There wasn’t really any lactic acid build up in the workout that surprised me.

Yr.2-Week 2

8/23/09
7:30am
17:25 jog mostly on grass
cold shower
poor static stretch

moist heat

Comments: ankles were really taking a beating my left ankle is actually hurting right now I had to wrap it up for a while. Its on grass but the ground isn’t really that soft. My lower legs were beginning to hurt but I think I pulled it in just in time. Lots of walking later in the day hamstrings were a little fatigued.

8/24/09
800m jog
static +dynamic stretch
1x600m,500m,400m,300m,200m
@ 70%, on grass in trainers, walk to a lap start line/4-5 mins rest
74+112, 76+98, 34+71, 31+50, 30
2x30yd lunge forward, lunge back with 30sec between reps
improvised gs circuit (arm raises, bicycle, adductor exercise, arm raises, supermans, leg/hip circles—but I did them like side raises)
2 min jog
static stretch

Comments: workout wasn’t that bad, my form was a little bit better improving from what I developed when I was doing longer reps last season but when I did the 300 and 200 i was returning. All the other reps I had ran flat footed but I started out those on the balls of my feet so that might have something to do with it. Cool down was suppose to be 5 mins jog but my calf started tightening up. Lunges were pretty hard—I originally didn’t plan to take the 30sec rest. The pace was pretty good and consistent I had planned at going at 80sec 400m pace but ended up at 71-76 so that’s encouraging.

8/25/09

8/26/09
Moist heat earlier in the day
5min jog
static stretch
dynamic stretch
3 min jog on pavement
2x10x10m hills, walk back recovery, 5 mins between set
90%, in trainers, on grass
3 min jog

Comments: was not feeling this workout at all…it just wasn’t there today. Didn’t feel fast or with good form.

8/27/09
About a min or 2 shuttle run
Dynamic stretch
Pushupx20
Side squatx15
Starjumpsx15
Supermanx20
Mountainclimbersx15
(didn’t do- 1x20sec arm pumps and 30s plank)
Static stretch

8/28/09
rain

8/29/09
4min jog on pavement at a quick pave
static stretch
a few run outs
3x200
2x200 @ 85-90%, in spikes on the track, 2 mins between reps, 10 between set, mark is 26.0
*(25.3, 26.5-messed up the time probably was a 25 high, 26.3, 25.6, 30)
pass out for 20-30mins

after painting- static stretch, contrast shower
Comments: I didn’t eat or hydrate well today, after I crossed the line my head was spinning, the lactic acid took over my legs as I layed down. I was done on the last rep and pretty much gave up, if I tried id probably have came in at 27-29 low. Pacing was better this time and until the last 80 of the 5th rep I was managing my form was better than the last time etc. Did some painting today and used my legs to wipe up paint splatter before I stretched or anything. The workout was a “break” from the painting. I foresee some soreness.

• my stopwatch broke so I had to use the stopwatch on an ipod so hopefully the times were on point and I’m not getting a false sense of improvement.

Yr.2-Week 3

8/30/09
Pre workout- I woke up today and my arm that has been hurting and my right groin were feeling real bad. The groin, a chronic pain, probably came from me using my leg to make circles with a cloth and clean the floor because although I was pushing in the 200 repeats yesterday I don’t think I was going that fast. As the day went on though the condition improved

About 2 miles (2 sump grass circuits) @ a quick pace
14:28
Static stretch
Contrast shower

Comments: I was using the ipod timer so I started it, went for the run and stopped it when I returned so the time might have been faster. My ankles and calves always take a beating because the ground is uneven and theres tree roots everywhere. I put some bengay and a heating pad on my left ankle, which seems to be the one with the most chronic pain.

8/31/09
About a min or 2 shuttle run
Dynamic stretch
Pushupx20
Side squatx15
Starjumpsx15
birddogx20
Mountainclimbersx15
(didn’t do- 1x20sec arm pumps and 30s plank but I did do some arm raises)
Static stretch

Quick Moist heat

Comments: nothing special today except my left it/hip started hurting while I was sitting down, ill have to watch that. Groin is just lingering at this point, ankle in a similar position it feels like a ligament or tendon or something. Dropped a minute off the circuit time so fitness is improving. Off track schedule force me to do this workout today, I will watch how it affects the rest of the week etc.

9/1/09
Moist heat

9/2/09
800m jog
static stretch
1x600m , 500, 400m, 300m, 200m
@ 70-75%, 4mins, 5mins, 2mins, 2mins rest in trainers on grass
(78+?, 76+?, 37+74, 34+52, 32)
2x30yd forward lunge, backward lunge, 30s rest between sets
3x 8 arm raises, 30 crunches, 20 superman/swimmers
suppose to be an 800m jog but my left calf was tightening up

Comments: although the times are not that bad I feel as good on this workout as last time, not as fluid. It could be my off track schedule, my hurting right IT/hip area, poor sleep I don’t know. I’m trying to improve sleeping habits. As for the calf I feel like a cramp is coming on so I don’t know if I should just welcome it or prevent it because it may be worse than last time which resulted in a small tear and I was out for 2 weeks.

9/3/09
~800m jog to hill
static + dynamic stretch
2x10x15m hills
@ 87%-90%, up hill in trainers on grass, walk back between reps 5 mins between sets, 15 falling, 5 from 3 point
400m or so jog
static stretch

Moist heat

Comments: wasn’t really feeling it today but it was better than last week. The three points did help to make them feel faster but i wasn’t feeling as fast or fluid. I don’t think its anything serious right now but I will see. I do plan to get into more “speed work” as generally accepted by October so I don’t think ill lose too much speed.

9/4/09
Moist heat

9/5/09
3:15 quick pace jog
static stretch
3x200m
1x150m @ 85%-90%, in spikes on track, 2 mins between reps, 10 between sets
(25.3, 27.1, 27.7, 19.0)
static stretch
(didn’t do 1x30,18sec armpumps)

moist heat

Comments: first one felt good, form and everything was on point. The second rep I was a little bit more cautious and less aggressive but by the third rep I was tired and I knew something wasn’t right. I had to slow down on 150 cause someone was on the way so I would probably have been on pace. The original second set was suppose to be 2x200 but I changed it cause the workout was not going as planned. I have been feeling off this week and the times show and that warmup jog alerted me to a little cold on my chest. Cut the workout short cause my training partners hamstring wasn’t right. And of course I didn’t jog a cool down because of my calf.

Yr.2-Week 4

9/6/09
Moist heat
Massage stick on calf

9/7/09
800m on grass
static stretch
1x600,500,400,300,200
@70%, in trainers, on grass 5mins,4mins,6mins,2mins,2mins rest
(71+1:53, 72+94, 73, 35+55, 35)
2x30yd forward lunge, backward lunge
static stretch

comments: moving faster on this workout but the end wasn’t as fast as I wanted. Wasn’t easy didn’t really feel that strong but the times surprised me. For was not impressive and of course there is the tightening calf.

9/8/09
17:30min run (2x sump grass)
2xgs circuit
static stretch

comments: I don’t know why my right thigh seems like its being put through 20x the work of the other leg and the lunges/ all the stairs I walk up don’t help it either. The run was at a easy pace not to slow not fast.

9/9/09
Moist heat

9/10/09
400-600m jog on road
static stretch+ dynamics
2x10x15m hills @ 85-90%, in trainers, walk back rest for reps, three mins between set (10 falling, 10 were 3-point)
2xaskip up
1:30 jog on road
static stretch

comments: my right thigh was already done after walking a lot of stairs so I took the workout easy. I feel like there is a ring around my thigh. Didn’t do the gs circuit today because of that. I felt good before the workout besides the leg, more mentally than physically. The workout was good although submaximal I felt some fluidity, and form falling into place over 10m and some of the jelly-leg feelings that I missed from last year.

9/11/09
rain
Moist heat
Heat pad/ice right quad

9/12/09
Moist heat
Heat pad /ice right quad

Yr.2-Week 5

9/13/09
800m on road
static stretch
1x600,500,400,300,200
@70%, in trainers, on grass 4mins,4mins,5mins,3mins,3mins rest
(70+1:53, 74+1:39, 72, 35+60, 16+?)
didn’t do lunges because of right thigh
12-13min brisk walk on road
static stretch

comments: moving faster on this workout but the end wasn’t as fast as I wanted. Wasn’t easy didn’t really feel that strong…I don’t know what it is but these workouts do not feel like they are getting easier and the latter half of the workouts are suffering. I will have to blame it on not eating much before the workout and my hurting right quad. On a positive note all though the form isn’t amazing im not externally rotating my legs as much as I used to but I do develop too much breaking of posture at the hip and backside mechanics, I feel like the poor form is only a few meters away from me or if I tried to maintain intensity rather than dieng out. Tried to run more strategically for 400m and down. My left shoulder, pec area was warm and felt tight during and after the workout. Did the brisk walk as a cooldown rather than try to jog on my tightening calf.

9/14/09
Moist heat
heat pad/ice right quad

9/15/09
5x10m shuttle runs on grass
dynamic stretch
1:30 jog on road, hip mobility drills
3x5x15m hill run on grass
85%-90%, trainers, walk back between reps and 3 mins between sets
1:30 jog on road

Comments: took down the intensity and volume and added in more rest to help with the leg. All though it wasn’t as fast I did feel more fluid so I guess there are improvements coming and the major issue is to get healthy.

9/16/09
Moist heat
heat pad/ice right quad

9/17/09
21 mins on the road (s-fp) @ a decent clip
static stretch
moist heat
ice/heat

Comments: at around 10-12mins my quad started acting up but I still kept a decent clip. Ankles and calf was acting up I don’t know why the ankles because I was on the road….

9/18/09
800m on the road jog
static stretch
6x300m @ 65%-70% in trainers on grass, 1:30 between rep
static stretch

Comments: workout wasn’t that hard the actual workout is to do nine in 50 but I guess ill work up to that cause my knees and quad were hurting from yesterday and I didn’t want to go to hard but the workout wasn’t that difficult.

9/19/09
Moist heat
Ice/heating pad on quad

Yr.2-Week 6

9/20/09
800m jog on grass
1x600m,500m,400m,300m,200m @ 70%, in trainers on grass
5mins,4mins,3mins,3mins
(73+1:55, 74+??, 72, 34+53, 32)
dynamic cool down

Comments: didn’t really feel that much easier, it was a cool night I was wearing sweatpants and I didn’t really blast a 70 on the first rep so I think that had to do with why the last few reps were better. I did try and run more tactically and I probably could have done another rep but im trying to learn that more isn’t always better. The workout is difficult but it was still in my comfort zone I guess not at the point where I have to draw on extra mental/physical energy like I might have to do in a race. Do feel a little raspy in the throat so I don’t know if im catching something. There was a little outward rotation on the right hip but I don’t think its bad enough to worry about it now.

9/21/09
Moist heat
Ice/heating pad on quad

9/22/09
15x10m shuttle
static+dynamic stretch
2min jog on road
form drills
3x5x15-20m hill sprints (8 falling, 7 3 point)
in trainers, on grass, 85%-90%, walk back recovery, 3 mins between sets
2 min jog on road cool down

ice/heating pad on quad
Comments: Above left knee hurting probably from running on the road. The workout was ok felt a little regression for example popping up quickly and bounding rather than running. 1st set was the worse but I fixed some of the problems as the workout went along. Nothing blazing maybe even a little loss of speed or ease of speed but the last set was closer to what I would be expecting at this point. It was a lower drive, better turn over and contacts, and felt quick(er).

9/23/09
Moist heat
Ice/heating pad on quad

9/24/09
20 minute jog (2 sump out side circuits)
in trainers at easy pace

Moist heat
Ice/heating pad on quad

Comments: quads, calf…feeling a little sick so I took it easy…the run is on grass but its so hard I doubt its an improvement and very uneven….

9/25/09
800m jog good pace on road
static stretch
5x300m @ 70-75% in trainers on grass, 1:30 rest between reps 2 mins before number 5
(49.2, 50.3, 50.2, 49.5, 54)
10 mins dynamic stretch
static stretch

moist heat
ice/heating quad

Comments: pre workout I was well rested and felt ready mentally weather was cool but not too windy. I was surprised at the times I had originally set a goal of getting the first three in 50.X and then do 3 more in whatever I can but the times turned out better than I thought. Form was decent, I think somewhat of an improvement there was more relaxation in the upperbody and I used better pacing. The times were an improvement from last week but I didn’t finish the workout I called it a wrap after number five even though I think it was partially mental cause I had achieved my goal already and I faded if I pushed more I probably could have came in at 52 but I thought the rep number 4 was slow until I looked at the watch. So I think I got/still have a cold but its mostly congested nose at this point looking back on last years log it seems I got a cold at the end of week 5 which is about the same time this year…

9/26/09
Moist heat
Contrast shower focus on right quad

Comments: So I think I got/still have a cold but its mostly congested nose at this point looking back on last years log it seems I got a cold at the end of week 5 which is about the same time this year…