inflamed back joint...

Hogwash. You dont know anything about your field. The harvard medical review sited almost a 90% success rate with prolotherpy. So did the new england journal of medicine. I have worked with some of the top therapists in the world. Also my family who teaches at harvard does not reject the idea. Neither do most of their students. God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Dr.Sprint.

“The harvard medical review sited almost a 90% success rate with prolotherpy. So did the new england journal of medicine.”

This is why I said the technique has some merit. All I was objecting to was your indiscriminate advise to use prolotherapy for pathologies that haven’t even been diagnosed yet, such as the specific case discussed here.

As an example: Chiropractic has a 80-90% success rate in relieving headaches, but that doesn’t mean you can use it to treat AIDS.

“I have worked with some of the top therapists in the world.”

In what position have you worked with them?

“Also my family who teaches at harvard does not reject the idea.”

I said they would reject your ideas about the etiology of scolioses and about prolotherapy as a panacea (i.e. a cure-all therapy) if their training was in the field of health sciences.

I would like to ask you to kindly refrain from using insults in your posts.

Regards,
Robin.

If you are blunt to someone else and make affirmations about stuff they did not say then is that also not rude or any less justified that if I respond with bold statements that I feel are true. Last point I will ever make about prolotherapy: These studies were for all types of chronic pain. Im surprised it wasnt 99.9%. Probally do to the fact they werent using the top prolotherapists. And you want something outrageous. I believe Headaches are intially caused by the neck. That is all.

-Dr.Sprint

I’m convinced now. Dr Sprint is Timothy Lane.

“And you want something outrageous. I believe Headaches are intially caused by the neck.”

I don’t find that outrageous at all. That’s why chiropractic adjustments of the neck are so good at relieving them.

As for the rest of your assertions, I suggest we end the discussion here and let the readers of this forum decide what they want to believe.

Regards,
Robin.

I can feel a hand cramp coming along.

-Dr.Sprint

Why don’t you all get back to the point of helping this athlete. Use private messaging for personal arguments.

thanks for the advice, before we got into an argument about harvard… :wink:
I got a massage yesterday which helped the muscles surrounding the SI joint to loosen up a bit, but the main site of pain still hurts. I thought for a while that it was not getting better but not getting worse either, but Ive decided now that it’s getting worse quickly, and it’s affecting my performance quite a bit, even during easy training. I think i will give the chiro or a proffessional equivalent a call- hopefully I will not have to sell any of my blankets to do so, Robin. :smiley:

sudden update- i ended up seeing a chiropractor today, who did some combination of ART, stretching, and cracking my back. it feels a LOT better, I can’t tell yet whether or not there is still some pain, i think some might be lingering, but it’s remarkable how much 10 minutes of therapy did.
I don’t know whether or not there were pinched nerves, as some of you have suggested, but what I gathered is that hamstring and back tightness (also my QL) locked my SI joint, and everything just started clenching… hopefully this has helped. thanks for the responses guys :slight_smile:

Sometimes a chiropractic change may help if the restriction can’t be changed by soft tissue work. Many athletes would complain but you made the appointment and got work done. As for Dr.Sprint AKA Tim Lane visit your mom and dad since they live in Boston and help Krasnayfluer.

on the subject of chiropractors, how often could one safely go? My back felt pretty good warming up today, hurt a LOT after doing high jump and long jump, then loosened up a bit after running a 400. now it feels much better than it has been feeling, but it is not pain-free. My coaches warned me against “getting cracked” too much, is there a downside to going again so soon?

RE: Too much joint manipulation

Too much joint laxity will cause deformation but I doubt athletes paying out of pocket would have the problem. I know one sprinter that took his chiro with him on tour…he is fine.

If the chiro is using art and improving length tension relationships great…Going for traction is fine as well.

As long as you don’t get adjusted a couple of times per day for a prolonged period of time, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

You should probably get treated at least once or twice a week at this stage and then reduce the frequency of visits after you have improved significantly. What did your chiro suggest in terms of frequency of treatments? I would also advise to stay away from things such as high jump at the moment, as this puts a lot of pressure on your back and thus is very likely to undo your adjustment.

Regards,
Robin.

There are plenty of good Drs as well as plenty of good therapists. no one has the corner on good therapy.
Stay on the straightaway until things clear up. (You don’t need a leg length differential to set things off if you’re going around tight corners).
Often, these problems come from the piraformis and/or the hamstrings. Check there- as well as the psoas muscles. A few good massage and/or ART sessions might well fix the problem, as it appears you’ve had the problem for a limited time. Prolotherapy has a place- but only after manual therapy means have been exhausted.
Make sure you’re taking vitamins and minerals, get adequate sleep, and try to get off your feet more till the situation improves.

Charlie,

Remember that the Canadian approach is more long term…Americans want the fast food approach and could care less about a 10 year project. I allways try to have athletes reach their best at their last meet, but some coaches like league titles and great records. I like what Foxboro does.

I hope you are not implying that I don’t care about the long-term…
I have certainly, however, been asked to compete with injury and risk my season by competing so that my team could win big meets. Luck was on my side, but it could have been far worse.

What I am saying is that charlie worked with Ben from 14-25, his perspective is far more patient.

Sometimes the fastest way forward is NOT to be in a hurry!