Incline Bounding

so -just to be sure- you mean you prefer these bounds on hill day(s) rather than on accel days? i could do that for weeks 5 & 6, but what happens when there are no hills on week 7 and beyond (i mean, there is, but this is for speed endurance and not sure if plyos would work the same before such a session)? Would you still prefer these jumps before accel/track sessions?

complex training is out though; don’t feel it works for me…
thanks!

I suppose the incline bounds could extend beyond the hill period that I’m familiar with. Most of my experience in this area has involved Power Speed exercises of short duration/distance.

Charlie,
we re talking about the same hill period (dvd); i’m just asking when the best time is to include incline bounds when the short hills (up to 40m) are out and the track sessions are in, 3 times per week (i.e., from week 7 onwards); would you include incline boulds before the acceleration track sessions, in order to avoid the complex method? i’m just looking for the most productive way to include them in my schedule…
sorry if i’ve misunderstood something in your reply…
thanks!

There’s no reason it couldn’t be done but here, by the time we get to the accels, the weather’s iffy at first and impossible later.

right, i suppose you’ve got it a bit worse than us in the UK with all the rain and the mud…
thanks again Charlie!

Go easy Gloopzilla…that was back in the 80s! My memory fails me, but … yes 150m may be actually a better distance to work over. When it’s only 150m you tend not to lose concentration or technique.

We were modifying the volumes as fitness permitted.

But I typically would tend to mix plyos with light incline sprints on a grass surface.

So a set might look like 1-2 sprints over 150m slow walk back, (about 5mins between runs), then walk down to side of hill and stretch soleus, gastrocs, quads, hips etc. When ready start: Double-foot bunny jumps up hillside. Maybe 10 contacts up . . . and 10 double-foot contacts down.

I think the downhill hops are important if you can do them safely (without slipping) because they add that element of loaded eccentric training.

So one set could be: 1-2x150m run + 2-5 x (10 hops up + 10 hops down).

Play with the number of runs and the number of hops depending on what you’re looking to get out of this type of training which will depend also on what event(s) you run (60m, 100m, 200m 400m). If you were training the 100m you might bulk up on the jumps but not do too many sets.

If you were training for the 400m :slight_smile: you might contemplate eventually up to 6 sets of 2x150+2x(10 hops up, 10 hops down). Take 8-10 minutes between sets.

JUst one other note, we used a motorbike kidney belt or a weightlifting belt to brace lowerback, as much as an awareness thing to ensure the athlete kept good posture.

I hate to be prescriptive because so much depends on the athlete’s training age and the type of training that has been accomplished: ie: whether the core is stable, what the co-ordination, flexibility, mobility and technique are like.

As a rule I would start on the minimum volume of sets/reps.

kk

This is a great thread :slight_smile:

We used to do short fairly steep hill work (accels for about 50 meters) and then do alt leg bounding up the hill (about 4-5 contacts per leg) The double leg hops sound a lot safer!

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Kitkat -

I’m training for 60’s,100’s & 200’s - and I’ll probably try some of these sessions as part of my GPP - I’m trying to stay off the track as much as possible.

I really like the idea of uphill hops as a form of conditioning plyo as well as the issues you mentioned but I’ll be very careful about the downhill stuff - see how it goes.

As for volume - I’m fairly limited at the moment anyway - so I’ll start low and work up - lots depends upon the softness of the surface at the moment it changes from firm to bog in a matter of days at the moment :slight_smile:

Cheers

Pete

just to let you know: incline bounding on grass before hills works so much better vs. complex training! at least for me…