HS Short Sprinter's Training Journal

December 30

Race- 200m Banked Mondo Track
55m - 7.11 FAT
4x200m - 1:37.75 FAT (24.6)

Ehhhh, both races felt bad, I had an awful start in the 55m and just wasnt at my best today.

January 6

Race - 150m Flat Spikeless
55m - 6.9 ht
4x220y - 1:43.2 ht (26.4)

Another just not great day, during the first two meets of the year I felt so good, and these past two i just haven’t felt that same way during races and warm ups, but my times are still the same so I am hoping that once i put together a good day I can run better.

January 9

55m - 7.0ht
4x220y - 1:42.9 ht (25.7)

My start felt good but top speed was just okay. I more, and more, dislike hand times. Maybe i did run a bad race, but I think that for this one it was the amazing inaccuracy of hand times to blame for the time. I felt very relaxed in both races which was good, but overall I was still fatigued and not fully recovered from the meet on Wednesday. I have a week to recover before the next meet so hopefully I will be feeling good next Saturday and can finally get down to a 6.8 and hopefully not have it be a fluke hand time.

January 16

55m - 7.0ht
4x220y - 1:47.1 ht (27.1??)

I have really bad shin splints and thats been really limiting my training, basically im doing bike work + meets. I feel like that is really affecting me. Also I think starting maintenance on weights way too early is finally catching up to me. Or hopefully the reliability of 55m handtimes is exactly what it is. The 200 split was awful tho and I thought I ran well but I also was so far ahead by the time i got the baton that I was running like 40+m ahead of second place when I finished so no real pressure to push me.

January 20

Race - 150m Spikeless Flat Track
55m - 7.0ht
4x220y - 1:44.7ht (26.4)

The many races so close together are leaving me kinda tired but I think it will provide a nice benefit once I am only racing once a week again and I will be really fresh. I got a strictly relay meet on Sunday. Unfortunately i lost a coin toss with a team mate for the last spot on our school’s SMR, as the 200m leg, which is going to be really good and possibly win the statewide meet. Instead Ill be running 4x200m and 55m Shuttle Dash. For the 4x200 id like to try to get sub 24 for my split.

January 24

Relay Meet - 200m Banked Mondo
4x200 - 1:36.17 FAT (24.5)
4x50y Shuttle Dash - 23.21 FAT

January 27

Race - 150m Spikeless Flat Track
55m - 7.0ht

I basically fell asleep in the blocks, I had a horrible reaction and my drive out of the blocks was horrendous. By my second or thrid step i got going though and the rest of the race felt fine. I came out of the blocks in last place and I could see the back of the kid in the lane next to me. All in all, I took this as a positive, as long as I never do it again.
The rest of my season looks like this, and all the remaining meets are FAT which is good.

1/30 - 55m on Mondo (Invitational Meet)
2/6 - 55m + 4x220y (League Meet)
2/13 - Not sure yet (District Meet)

My goal for Saturday is to run a good technical race and to get a good start and feel good at top speed and improve my PR of 7.11

Another bad habit I have noticed i have is I look around during the race to see where other people are at, I need to work on having tunnel vision and running my own race.

January 30

55m - 7.22 FAT :frowning:

None of the sprinters from my school did well, we were all way off what we were capable of/have done so it wasn’t just me, this was the 4th meet in 10 days so I think that might have played a role.

February 6

55m - 7.20 FAT
4x220y 1:43.44 FAT (26.5)

This was my last 55m of the season. I may or may not be running next Saturday as a member of the 4x2 team.

I guess I will kinda do a mini reflection. Season was kinda a disappointment after starting the year off so well, but i still had fun. Even after declining throughout the season my worst race is still better than my last year’s best race by over .1. I think I can attribute my lack of success in the later part of the season due to my injury with shin splints, They were really a problem and limited my training to Bike work + racing which I feel didn’t give me enough running volume. Surprisingly even after the small volume of weights and starting maintenance so early my strength was maintained through the season and i don’t think it dropped at all. Overall my first 3 races of the season were my best (all within 3-4 weeks of cutting out running) then after that I detained a little and couldn’t get back to my best.

I took the last two weeks off completely from track training and my shins are already feeling a million times better. I have about 2 and 1/2 weeks till team practices start for outdoor. During this time I’m going to be doing weights, circuits and bike work. My goals are to get healthy and stay healthy as well as increase work capacity and gain some strength and size and hopefully this can translate into a much more productive outdoor season.

February 24th

Squat 5x5x205
RDL 3x10x135
Bench Press 5x5x140
Weightlifting Circuit(10ex) 2x10
Ab Series A (260 reps) x 1

I hate how it looks like so little work when I right it here but it felt like a lot of volume, I should be sore tomorrow.

February 25

Locomotive Series x2
GS Circuit x2
Ab Series A (260 reps) x1
Plank Series x1

Im really sore, I dont miss this feeling at all.

February 27

SG Deadlift 5x5x185
Weightlifting Circuit (13) 2x10
abs- 300 reps

March 1

DB Incline Bench 3x10x40,50,50
Squat 5x5x205
Chin Up 2x10
Dips 2x6
Seated Row 1x10

Later)
Hip Mobility Stuff
abs- 350 reps

March 3

Squat 5x5x205,205,215,215,225
Natural GHR 3x2
RDL 2x10x135
Depletion Push Ups 46,11,5
abs- 200 reps

Bike- 5x30sec “Hard” R:2.5
abs- 200 reps

This was my first time doing depletion push ups, they are “fun”, its weird/funny cause after I ended the first set I got up for the 30 second break and before the time was up I felt pretty decent, I thought I could maybe hit another 20 or so pushups, then I get down in the push up position and its just like “woah!, im screwed”. Haha, its a funny feeling. I recommend everyone experience that at some point or another.

Suppose to be 90sec rest.

haha okay, for some reason I thought it was 30seconds, although i dont see why it cant be varied, it doesnt really have to be set in stone, variability is always good, and 30 seconds makes it quite interesting, ill give 90 seconds a try sometime.

Actually 30sec is stupid, it’s like having a short sprinter do ext tempo 10x200 rest 20sec it’s still low intensity but the quality is shit.

“We always found that bench results were stimulated by the inclusion of “depletion push-ups” once per week- usually on Sat, after lifting M,W,F. This consists of doing the maximum no of push-ups possible, waiting 90sec and repeating, waiting 90sec again and repeating for a final set”. (Charlie Francis)

valid point, I coulda swore i saw 30 seconds somewhere on this site, but i searched and couldn’t find it again, thanks for the quote, ive been proven wrong…(not that hard to do :o )

March 4

Bike - 15 Minutes
GS Circuit x10
Arms/Shoulder Brief Circuit(4) 2x10
abs- 600 reps

March 6

Squat 5x5x205,215,225,225,225
Drop-Catch RDLs 5x5x45,65,75,75,75
Bench Press 5x5x150
Lat Pulldown 3x10,100,110,110
abs- 400 reps