HRV: Kubios data interpretation

I have a polar RS810 which has the HRV function that gives a score of 1-8. I figured out how to upload to Kubios. I attached 3 days of reports. I am still trying to make sense of it all. Anyone with experience give feedback? Based on the 3 days, which day is the “best” recovered? Why?

I’m leaning towards the Ithlete, due to simplicity, and the shorter test duration, plus the accessability for athletes to get it, fairly cheap as well. (<$100 USD)

Dec 25 HRV-page-001.jpg

Dec 26 HRV-page-001.jpg

Dec 27 HRV-page-001.jpg

Why not just use the polar 1-8 score?Kubios seems too busy for me. Keep it simple. Polar is simple. Simple is good :slight_smile:
Ithlete, you got a link?

http://www.myithlete.com/
A good tool and application for the individual. I’ve had some difficulty with regard to certain readings with our athletes. Time of the day and all that…

ECNA Labs HRV is another application that works well on-the-quick. Though not as elaborate as ithlete HRV or HRM units.

I’ve never used this device, but I would guess that the best recovery happened 12/27 because of the RR(s) distribution graph is more dense (the RR(s) occur more closely together). I Believe this is the goal; to have as little variance as possible.

However, I’m noticing the time variables. One is 6 something, one is 9 something, and one is 7 something. Is this time of night? 6pm, 9pm, 7pm? It also appears that there is only a 5 minute and 50 second section shown. If these are true, this data is incomplete and is impossible to expand upon.

What is considered “Good” in HRV for athletes? I know that poor HRV is bad for patients with Heart Failure, it is thought to predict worsening of the condition.

is this article worth taking notice of? http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/heart_rate_variability_training

HRV actually works the opposite way. Ideally, you want a high degree of variability. Its kind of a sign of autonomic responsiveness/ability to adapt to perturbations. As JohnG points out, at very low variability, the probability of cardiac arrest increases, primarily because of the reduced ability of the ANS to adjust to changes/perturbations.

Is anyone on here using Joel Jamison’s Biofroce HRV device and app as opposed to the Ithlete? http://www.8weeksout.com/bioforce-hrv/

It has a similar receiver to the Ithlete but the testing in the App is more sensitive (by including measurement for too much parasympathetic tone) from my understanding. My facility partner Patrick Ward is even writing a chapter on HRV and soft-tissue therapy in a soon to be finished manual that comes along with the purchase.

Although Joel specializes with MMA fighters (as I’m sure many of you on here know), his information is solid (I really like his Ultimate MMA Conditioning book) and science-based but I’m still trying to figure out how to apply this more specifically to sprinters or “sprint-athletes.”

I think this HRV topic is going to be discussed a lot more in the future as resistance to stress and ability to adapt is the real key to all trainng.