HR moitor

Heart rate monitors are a useful tool with cardio for fat loss?

They’re a useful tool to monitor for overtraining and to control intensity relative to lactate threshold.

Ok,but
with cardio for fat loss?

For what type of athlete and training style? Tempo can be calculated through other means…

I have one but that is only because I can ride a bike 100 miles in little over 4 hours and have a good marathon time. I doubt people on these boards are training for them goals. For endurance athletes, there good tools, for guys who lift weights, have stocky builds and who take eternity to complete 2 miles then you probably don’t need to use one.

If your toughest cardio workout is a gentle jog in the park or a stint on a womans treadmill etc, you don’t really need one.

A HRM isn’t suddenly gonna give you the gentics to run faster, harder or farther.

If Jan Ulrich trains 5 hours a day on a bike with average intensity, and Lance Armstrong trains 6 hours a day at high intensity, then Jan Ulrich is getting stomped. There really isn’t such thing as overtraining. Lance Armstrong has admitted to overtraining, as do most African runners and look where its taken them.

I find that there isn’t such a thing as overtraining especially for elite athletes. Is that what you’re saying or am I misinterpreting you. Most of the time spent by the coach is to prevent overtraining; yet you’re saying that there is no overtraining. So I find this very amusing.

So where should the line be drawn between under & over training???..

If you were a cyclist and you was training just 3 hours a day, you better be scared of the overtrained cyclist that trains 6 hours a day.

Well???..

If you can’t comeback and backup your stories with something, then don’t say nothing at all…

Interesting discussion.Two thoughts.

It all depends on where one is coming from.In my coaching I have always run the principle to get the maximum (output,adapatation,results) from the minimum (input,stilmuli,time),and the toughest thing to learn on my own skin has been that there is no minimum actually:everything must be built,destroyed at times,and rebuilt again . What was minimum yesterday is not minimum today,but it well may be minimum again tomorrow…

Whatever is intended for overtraining in this discussion,athletes well righteously overtrain their single systems in their quest of performance,it’s our job to prevent the single step further which breaks the whole system down…

IMO, no one knows the line between what is under & overtrained.

Put it like this, I’d rather be overtrained than undertrained. When I train if I don’t feel like I have been overtrained, I feel like I haven’t achieved anything. I like to feel that I have almost trained myself to a grinding halt, it gives me the reassurance that no one has trained as hard as me, thus no one belongs on the same pitch as me. It keeps my nerves away knowing that too…

Just curious RnR, but what sport do u do?

Soccer…

Well I don’t really feel like having a debate with you because I can’t win as seen in the optimal soccer training thread. You have a different opinion how to train; I’m not discrediting that. I just think its stupid to say that you should be afraid of the guy who trains 6 hours a day on a bike. I’m more afraid of the guy who has the best coach and also has various recovery methods (i.e. massage).

Are you a kid!?

Over training can be dangerous. I sorely wish i hadn’t overtrained when i was a younger, i have 3 screws in the middle of my knee now because of that. I think you might learn about overtraining the hard way.

If you are going to train like that, good luck, you will need it.

By the way, returning to the original topic of the thread, is it possible to get a HRM without a big strap on your chest (they piss me off) ?

Well I don’t really feel like having a debate with you because I can’t win as seen in the optimal soccer training thread. You have a different opinion how to train; I’m not discrediting that. I just think its stupid to say that you should be afraid of the guy who trains 6 hours a day on a bike. I’m more afraid of the guy who has the best coach and also has various recovery methods (i.e. massage).

Well, you know Rock N Roll is about not conforming…

As for recovery methods, massage’s aren’t going to win you soccer match’s, a Tour De France, A big city Marathon etc etc. Give me a guy with a big heart, determination to succeed and willpower over a good coach anyday. Thousands of people have good coach’s, where do 99% end up, oh yeah, behind the counter at McDonalds.

Actions speak louder than coaches

Let me guess, you lifted weights like a complete plonker???.

What would Lance have been without his coach Michele Ferrari?
Investigate before you speak your mind…

Only if you start investigating first. Chris Carmichael is Lance’s Coach. But hey, lets move swiftly on.

Lance Armstrong wouldn’t be anywhere without his heart, willpower, determination, lung capacity, Power output etc etc something a Coach can’t physically give you… Coachs talk the talk, great athletes walk the walk. Like the quote mentioned, Actions speak louder than coach’s.

Thoughts Thor, Lets keep the debate rollin’…

So do you think Lance Armstrong doesnt train with heavy weights?

Numba, if there was a championship on who replied to messages the quickest, you hands down would take the gold medal.

I don’t know if he trains with “Heavy Weights” but he may lift…