Hows this for a 200m Workout

That’s not explaining it at all. I’ve heard this view many times on here, but it does not explain WHY.

I’m glad to hear it’s worked for you, however your attitude sounds like it would be more at home in a church than it does on a discussion forum. Recognising that there are other methodologies that work very well out there, and that some might be more appropriate for individuals is in no way defying Charlie in any way, nor does it make his views and experience any less legitimate. Quite frankly if I were him, I’d find my training philosophies being transformed into dogma, far more offensive …

You’d be surprised as to what is done around the world volley ball wise to develop a high vertical. I have friends who play at Olympic and in European legues who do alot of sub maximal plyometrics to develop jump height.

As it relates to athletics, take a look at the John Smith and Clyde Hart training threads, and you will realise that speed all year round is not a necessity - and is sometimes left only to the end of the training programme. This is because all of the properties you have mentioned can be developed through sub maximal means.

Without knowing you or having seen you run it’s very difficult to prescribe a session.

I can offer you an over view of what I’m about to start up, or what my training partner has been doing for the last 2 months …

Thanks Dazed, i understand now.

That would be great, just post it or send it to me when you get a chance.

I’d love to see it too…

Why are you reading so much venom into my post? There was NONE there when it was written. It was carefully crafted to give credit to coaches with far more experience than me, including you. I GO OUT OF MY WAY in that post to not discount yours or anybody else’s experience in the matter by saying so in those exact terms. By admitting that I am effectively a case study of one. But that doesn’t make my post irrelevant, nor does it make it inflammatory as you seem to read into it.

And don’t hand me shit about attitude, from where I sit it’s coming from you. I carefully stated that I [REPEAT: “I” ] have no business defying Charlie’s concepts, meaning with my limited sprint-specific knowledge I would have to be a fool not to take advantage of the man’s experience.

The funny thing is, I didn’t even formally disagree with you, rather simply stated my personal experience. What part of “though I can’t discount anybody else’s success with another philosophy” didn’t you understand? Still not respectful enough of your ideas am I? Should I send you love letters with kisses and hugs to comfort your fragile ego damaged because a novice would dare share his experience? You don’t like the fact that I admire the man whose methods have given me some good gains? TOO DAMN BAD!

You want to belittle my admiration for his training concepts by snidely comparing it to church worship? Saying that I’m turning it into dogma by simply agreeing with him? Making this personal when a healthy debate was just getting started?

Childish, dude.

yes i have read a lot about clyde hart’s training, and was planning to use them. But seeing that his 400m runners all had a background in the 200m, I planned on working on my 200m first before taking on his workout routine.

On starting a healthy debate, read your first post again, Jonney. Inspiring debate? That accolade, as often the case on this forum, goes to Dazed. There REALLY is more than one way to skin a cat…

[no Venom intended, see where Dazed is coming from on this one :wink: ]

A little warning - the “Clyde Hart Tarining Schedules” around only show very old stuff. Actually they are doing lot of “real” speed work, too, like flying 60s.
All the old schedules don’t show speed work at all.
I understood that in fact neither Michael Johnson nor Wariner train like that.

As for Smith training - the posted training programs (especially 100/200m) show distances, but most of the runs do not show intensity. To me they look like something inbetween “traditional long-to-short” and Charlies approach.
Early season runs seem to be all very low intensity.

Your plan makes perfect sense to me. If you manage to drop your 200m time, you’ll run 400 considerably faster later in the season with speed endurance and special endurance work later.

Don’t get irritated - you got inbetween the fronts of a “religious war” :wink:
But me coming from a country where EVERY trainer follows traditional long-to-short i’ve seen so many athletes stagnate and/or get injured that I believe Charlie, too

lol. Smiths training, i haven’t seen it yet. Maybe i will go look it up now. Thanks

Yes, my first post to Oni was intended to help him get positive responses in the future, but looking back I can see how it would look a tad too agressive. I actually thought I was helping him craft future posts but it came off too strong. I’ll watch the tone of the posts. Cheers.

cheeeeeeeeeeeers =]