How would you rate these strength coaches?

I am an SEC fan and have been aware of UGA’s recent success. Some of there guys are the strongest in the nation. I hear his name pop up every once in a while. Not sure what he does taht is special.

If we’re talking about UGA… what about LSU’s S&C coach Tommy Moffit. LSU beat UGA twice this season…

Actually, although a good S&C program will definitely make a good team better, a team full of great athletes (such as UGA and LSU) can make up for a bad program. On the other hand, even if you have a great S&C coach, you can still only train them from the neck down. How they react mentally in tough game situations is something totally different. NOT saying that either of these schools have good OR bad S&C programs or anything. Both schools have great athletes and if the guys have great genetics, then its hard to say if the S&C coach had alot to do with or not.

I think Chris Thibaudeau is a great coach, because of his great scientific knowledge of strength training methods and then his ability to put it into words that anybody can understand. Another great thing about Thib is that he goes out of his way to help others. I remember on his old forum he practically gave away 1/2 of the info from his book for free. He is trully in it b/c it is his passion and it shows. Plus, as said before he always provides references and cross referencing material is one of the best methods for learning and understanding a concept.

I like Joe Kenn, Buddy Morris and Tom Myslinski because, even though they possess great knowledge of S&C, they are always open to new ideas from others and are not afraid to admit it. Plus, the fact that they go against the grain, as Charlie does, has forced me to like them even more. Myslinski is another guy who knows the science and can explain it to a 3 year old. Morris knows rehabilitation like no coach I have ever met and his advice has helped my shoulders tremendously. I feel Joe Kenn and his staff have developed one of the most effective training models for athletes and it can be applied to all sports with very simple modifications.

Most important, all of the above have gotten under a bar themselves and practice what they preach.

Myslinski has got to be my favorite read

others

Francis, Thibaudeau, Kenn, Morris,

University of Texas Women sprinters/hurdlers look like they have a pretty
good strenght coach down in Austin. Does anyone have any information on UT strength coach?

Larry Judge has done some good things with the Florida T&F program. He pretty much integrates his own basic philosophy with those of other coaches (e.g., Art Venegas). Who else hasn’t?

http://www.throw1deep.com/CoachLarryJudgeBrothertoBrother.htm

Half of them guys weigh in excess of 200lbs, I’d laugh at them if they came to my soccer club…

Angel Spassov I think.

All great guys, I like Francis and Thib the most. Francis for his simplification, theory of adjustment for each athlete, less is more, not doing what is on the sheet but to the point where you feel you’ve had it, and program structure. CT for his utilization of many methods and program structure, along with the less is more compliance. And for both, the most important part, is their devotion to athletes, giving away free information to help all that ask when they could readily say just buy the book/dvd.

I don’t know if I would put CT in the less is more category :confused:

It is intersting that personalities have been mentioned as I agree this is also a good indicator.

Forgot one, David W, if i remember correctly hes done quite well in his respective sport…

May i say Mr. Tudor Bompa ?

Motivation is huge…what about Dan Wirth? His presentation in LA was great…good understanding of time and what you can do long term.

is there anyone out there who is good that isnt a westside advocate? btw, i do agree with your choices, i just want to see what you think.

What about Coach Yoxall at auburn, i know some people who were GA’s under him and was curious what you all thought of him

Charlie Francis. CT is not a “westside advocate” per se. he definitely uses his own style.

I went to the NSCA PA state clinic this weekend and Jim Roney (Uof Richmond) said it best. Westside is not a set rep scheme but a mentality. In my opinion a good str coach is first and foremost a motivator, then a scientist and an athlete. Every good str coach I ever met trained hard.

Carlo Bezzuchelli

Ivan Abadjiev - no contest