How quick do we lose speed without squats?

ahh ok thanks :slight_smile:

BTW I cleared out my PM’s

cheers,
Chris

So let’s re-define our hypothetical 11.0 100m runner even more narrowly. He continues with only upper body strength training, but does ABSOLUTELY NO STRENGTH WORK FOR LEGS-just speed. Just lots of block starts, flying drills, 30m-120m type stuff etc-JUST SPEED AND MORE SPEED. No hills or plyos for the fun of the argument-track work only. Remember-he has 10 years of squats behind him to coast on. Can he still run 11.0 or better in one years time?

No plyos or any resistance work at all? I would think he would slow down and have very skinny legs in proportion to his upper body :wink:

Are you sure he’d slow down in one year Chris? I’m not so sure he would. I used to be a volleyball player. I always shared my huge jumping load with weights. Due to tendonitis, I took over 6 months off leg weights and just jumped and played my sport. I coasted on years of doing squats-and after 6 months was actually jumping slightly better than before. Thigh circumference was down to be sure-but the speed and height at which I could deliver the goods was excellent. Jumping and sprinting have similiarities-speed is paramount. And they say that nothing is more plyometric than the act of sprinting itself!

Thats true and a good example :slight_smile:

It just goes against what you would normally think would happen :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

And this is what makes me curious. It DOES go against what most of us think. We [and I include myself] are quite dogmatic with the way we train for our sports. I’m not saying I want to quit squats for my own sprint training. The strength seems important for the start especially. But my eyebrows were raised this season when my PB dropped twice in a two month period that I ceased leg weights. I wasn’t injured-I stopped doing them because I was fried in my CNS and I figured sprinting was the more important of the two to keep up with. I wonder if anyone else has had a similiar experience.

Getting back to our hypothetical 11.0 100m dude-my guess is that in a year he loses 1-2 inches on his thigh measurement, but that his strength loss is compensated for by great rate of force development from the intelligent track work. He loses less muscle than one might think because the sprinting itself work those muscles to a reasonable degree. He can still run 11.0, but he’s doing it slightly differently.

If anyone has experience to contradict me, then please openly critique my guess! I don’t really have the balls to quit squats for real so I have to have fun with the theoretical!

Well I have quit squats (at least heavy squats) and will be able to tell you how it works next week. (I am going to run a 100m next wednesday as a baseline meet) :slight_smile:

Best last season before injury (just started training again) was a 12.05 FAT.

Cheers,
Chris

An important lesson can be learned here! CNS reserves are limited. No one aspect of training is absolutely essential. I could probably out squat Carl Lewis, but who cares? He ran a 9.8 and jumped 29 feet!

I swim competitively, and I recently have begun sprinting and lifting every 4 -6 days, a much more extreme recovery period than I would have dreamed of doing a few years ago. In between these sprint days I do easy “tempo” work and light aerobic laps. I’ve spent far more time overtrained than I have undertrained, and I’m ready to try anything.

So I guess the lesson is, don’t be afraid to drop or reduce anything if you believe it is becoming a hindrance.

[QUOTE=chris30]Well I have quit squats (at least heavy squats) and will be able to tell you how it works next week. (I am going to run a 100m next wednesday as a baseline meet) :slight_smile:

Best last season before injury (just started training again) was a 12.05 FAT.

Cheers,
Chris

And so the little experiment begins! Let me know!

hehe will do. I wont run if the weather is bad or my ham feels strange. I almost wish there was a 200m I could run at the meet :slight_smile:

Amen. Keeping the CNS pool full is really what we are talking about here. I guess the athlete does what he needs to to accomplish this.