How many people actually lift and train athletes?

76ers1411
Birthday:
January 10, 1988

I am 28 and since I started people have told me I will slow down. I agree that one day I will not be quite as ummmm energetic as I am now. But, that is no excuse for not training. I also have arthritis and was told I will need new knees in my lifetime, torn meniscus, torn rotator and a major problem with leg length inequality. I find a way to train through all of that I am sure I will find a way to train through age.
PS MyDr took my bextra from me and I am still training. hahahaha.
ROCK ON!!! and Train BIG.

People have told you you will slow down. It sounds like you’re going to be in a wheelchair. What are you training for at this point? If you’re not competitive, aren’t you just hurting yourself?

I think quite often about why I train. There are a few reasons. One to reach my elite status in PLing. Two I love the intrinsic value of training. Sometimes I do things in my training that will not make me a better PLer but I love training. Why not train??? The wheelchair is in the future haha, I doubt I will end up there. Stay Healthy everyone.

yeah but i still have a right to an opinion , correct?

I see where you’re coming from. I thought you weren’t trying to be competitive. I just believe that if someone is not competitive, they should not train competitively. Just like you wouldn’t train a housewife like ben johnson.

Of course, however using your rationale in order to train an elite athlete someone must have been an elite athlete themselves. This would be impratical and IMO (I’m allowed one too :smiley: ) possibly detrimantal.
Just because you are a good athlete doesn’t mean you are a good coach, the sports world is littered with athletes who have bombed at coaching. At the end of the day a coach is measured by the success of who they train not what they did themselves.

“Does anyone actually train athletes?”

This is a very good question. Don’t laugh, but sometimes when I read articles or see presentations by so called NSCA Conference gurus, I actually wonder if they actually train athletes. They may be prescribing exercises to people, but after looking at their methods (balancing on balls, boards, working with elastic tubing) it is not hard to see that they are actually “de-training” athletes.

Very good question! That is my rant for the day. Time for dinner.

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. I still think it would help the coach to have had that experience, but I agree with you that there are a lot of great coaches who were never athletes themselves, like that guy (can’t remember his name, remember seeing about him on ESPN though) who’s been in a wheelchair all his life , but is the Kicking/Punting coach for either a pro or college football team.

I remember that story. I saw it on HBO’s Real Sports w/Bryant Gumbel. Inspiring to say the least.

Number 2,

The mo guru the mo money!

Balance between teaching and training. Charlie still works with people when he could easily just rest on his laurels. Everyone asks why I don’t write for regenerationlab.com and I return and ask when do I have the time?

Number 2,

Who besides charlie and al has a balance between coaching and education? Any other options?

yeah your post took about 20 minutes to show up.

I just go back and reread the articles at regen lab, there is always somthing I missed the first time!!!

Speedkills, this is exactly my point, or my question rather, on the Nomar Garciapara thread. With all the emphasis on circus acts, are guys like Verstegan doing their athletes more harm than good?

Peter Twist is a major problem as well as other functional trainers yet he has all the loot from his lame-o tapes and videos! :mad:

it’s like berardi says, it’s great to look at a program but occasionally look at the results.

Good question. I think there are some good people out there. I’m having Al Vermeil up for a workshop and I’m including two local Olympic Lifting coaches to co-present with Al. Unfortunately, if I just adverstised the Olympic lifting coaches (without Al), I may only get 5 people at the workshop. But with Al, hopefully 20 plus.

Both of these coaches are good at working with athletes and educating others. They both were athletes who placed in the top 10 in an Olympic Games in Weightlifting. And they have trained athletes who have attended Olympic games - one of them a gold medallist. But they don’t whore themselves out there to make extra dough. They are coaches, not salesmen. The trick is to find these people and learn from them firsthand. Who cares if you don’t get NSCA CEU’s by spending a day with them (I should point out though, that I will be applying to get NSCA CEU’s for my workshop - sometimes you have to deal with the devil).

I’ll post the info for the workshop on the forum tomorrow if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, lets find out who else is worth listening to and promote them as good trainers and educators. If we rely on good coaches to promote themself, it will never happen. The more someone promotes themselves, the more you have to watch out (at least it seems that way). There must be an inverse relationship (lack of skill and how much you promote yourself).

This thread had really made me think about what makes a good coach. There are many different answers/opinions here. Where I am coming from more then anything is when I listen to someone talk about training who has never picked up a weight or run or thrown a med ball or done anything. I have a very hard time listening to these people. I do not think one needs to be an elite athlete to train athletes (look at me I am far from elite). But, one should know what it feels like to train.
Snoop Dogg show last night sucked!!!

That is what I was trying to say. It’s nice to have a coach who has some experience with what they are coaching. I see GA’s tell football players how to do squats and cleans and yet they can’t even do a good rep with 135lbs. They then try to make up for their lack of expertise by using a bunch of science jargon that they learned in class. It’s great to be book smart but how much of a better coach would you be if you actually have done the movement? I had one coach try to tell me the power clean was all one movement without phases. He told me it is one big upright row and then a front squat. I remember pulling 385lbs with correct form and then not being able to pull 315lbs using his technique.

385 is one hell of a power clean.