hips forward in drive phase?

are the hips supposed to be as forward as possible during the drive phase, or are you supposed to “sit” during the drive phase and slowly work your hips forward during the transition to top speed sprinting position???

There should be a straight line through ankle, hips and shoulders. The angle of that line will start out fairly acute and become more vertical as you progress from start through acceleration to top speed.

so that would mean the hips have to be forward right?

what i mean by forward is opposite of “sitting” where ur hips are down and back.

the way your hips are supposed to be high/forward during the top speed. Should they be like this from the first stride onwards?

And on first step from blocks, should the hips be exploding forwards along with the knee?

Cdn,what do you mean when you say the hips must be forward?? as xl said its a forward lean but from the ground upwards.from the gun onwards till top speed the hips will raise gradually till in full upright position and this will happen naturally

k, take a look at the last picture on the first post of this thread:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=11084

the way he is sitting there, that is the opposite of what i mean by hips forward.

So i’m saying when u are in the set position, your hips are back like that right?

But then when the gun fires, what happens?

Do your hips immediately explode forwards and stay forwards throughout the race (disregarding the alignment of the body towards the ground)?

Or do your hips gradually move forward as you transition from drive phase to full upright running position?

So basically i’m asking if the athlete should be “sitting” during the drive phase? Or the athlete should have the hips as forward as possible during the drive phase (forward in regards to the body, not the ground.)?

First lets be clear about the terminology:

“sitting” is when the hips are forward i.e. like when we are sitting down or particulalry when we are sloaching, hence the term “sitting”.

Now, you should never sit (as the above description describes) when running. Your hips should be back and down below the body (but not to far) to allow freedom of range of motion for the support leg. The goal of high hips is not to position them high on the body but high from the ground whcih is to allow the leg to strike below the hips just in front of bottom dead centre with the leg at a neutral angle to the pelvis.

from my understanding, sitting is exactly what the guy in this thread is doing in his last picture:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/commu...ead.php?t=11084

i thought sitting was caused by weak glutes and tight psaos and quads causing the hips to stay back and not forwards.

i guess what i’m also trying to ask is how do you correct “sitting”? Should the athlete conciously try to move hips forward, or should the athlete just work on the flexibility of the muscles causing sitting (which muscles would these be?) and the strengthening of those muscles that are too weak and resulting in sitting (and which muscles are these?)

after going through this forum a bit more, i think what i mean by hips forward is what you guys refer to as “full hip extension”.

Should the hips be fully extended in the drive phase?

should an athlete who “sits” concentrate on fully extending the hips or work on flexibility and strength and let the full hip extension come on its own?

yes
no
yes

i think the confusion was cuz i was referring to the wrong thing as the hips.

What i meant by hips forward, is the bottom part of the pelvis is forward and the top of the pelvis (ie what you guys call the hips) rotates back. Is this correct?

And TheOne, is this what you mean:

yes, the hips be fully extended in the drive phase

no, an athlete who “sits” should not concentrate on fully extending the hips

yes, an athlete who “sits” should work on flexibility and strength and let the full hip extension come on its own

???

This very simple question has become overcomplicated and confused by overuse of terminology.

If you are ‘sitting’, you are not achieving a triple extension of the hip, knee and ankle. This is a bad thing. Through every phase of the race a full triple extension should occur and should make a straight line with the back

As the athlete exits the blocks and continues to accelerate, the fully triple extened leg and back will have a foward lean relative to the ground. This angle of this lean will depend upon the strength of the athlete. As the athlete approaches top speed and acceleration decreases, the triple extended leg and body will become more and more upright.