Head cold (When to compete)

About how long does one want to wait to compete again after a headcold? Has anyone ever competed with a cold before? Ie: congestion, cough, runny/stuffy nose, lethargic.

Ideally you want to make the most of competitions so going into one without feeling your best will not set you up to have your best result.

Another way to think about it is the risk of injury. Bad things happen when you tend to try and push them so if it’s possible to get well and compete that needs to be the goal.

Focus on rest and getting better and all the things you might be able to do to speed up your bodies ability to heal faster.

What have you tried?

tepid baths if you feel up for it.

using Vicks vapor rub on chest and throat to sleep so breathing in easier.

Drinking hot water with lemon and or honey and ginger if you like the taste.

I remember having a very serious cold at a few different training camp settings and I covered my back and chest and throat with a vicks type product, combined it with a massage and I was able to breathe again through my nose.

Time and rest is the need to heal certain types of congestion as it’s a matter of getting that virus out of the system.

It sucks if a very important competition happens when you are sick but this is one reason why what you do on your recovery days needs to be as proactive as possible to avoid sickness as much as possible.

Get better soon.