Had my first ART therapy session today

It was good but he said he is going to a “graston” (SP) technique using this stainless steel to really get deeper in my hamstring…anyone know what this is and is it good? going back friday for another tweaking…my hamstring is a little sore right now which is what my chiropractor told me i would feel…ART is no joke especially for an athlete like me that lacks flexibility…

Tell me more about it. How did he evaluate you what else did he do, how long etc. I may be going to see someone soon for my knee(s), hams and hips and whatever he feels necessary. What did this cost you BTW.

Basically what happened was he tried to find out where I was having pain and where my the scar tissue was and from there he put pressure on my hamstring region with his fingers while my leg was being pushed passed it’s range of motion. Then he worked my tight psaos which is putting extra stress on my hamstring. After that stretched my quads and i was told to contract my hamstring while it was being stretched. I pay 15 per visit because my insurance covers 20 visits a year but normal price is 70 for 1st visit and 50 for every subsequent visit.

I see. Cool.
Lucky you have insurance that covers ART.
Reguardless his prices arent bad at alll. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I had my second session today and it was ok… nothing to bad…It started out with my hamstring being heated up, then the graston technique was used on my hamstring (http://grastontechnique.com/grastontechnique/index.htm) then did some ART moves, got realigned…so far my hamstring has just been tender and a little sore I am going to try to do some Lunges, GHR’s, and Reverse Hyper Leg Curls, foam rolling for my hamstring, and probably some more stuff tomorrow when i go to the gym…

I would be very very careful doing hamstring work the day (or two) after having graston technique and similar therapy modalities done. I would probably stick to just foam rolling and maybe some walking on a treadmill. The tissue needs to recover (it will most likely have minor bruising, whether you see it or not) and lifting specifically with the hamstrings isn’t going to help the process.

Agreed. I had a pretty intense ART treatment for my hamstring a few months ago and the second I stood up from the table I knew that the treament basically counted as my workout for that day. It took several days for the hamstring to recover enough for speed work. Of course this depends on the severity of the treament.

Ok my next therapy session is on wednesday…tomorrow I am going to do foam rolling and a few trips of light upright sled drags focusing on pulling with my hamstring…My next lower body day is going to be monday where i usually do ATG squats (my right hamstring isn’t usually bothered though a slight discomfort but i can still move the weight)…

Had another ART session today…Before going into the session my right hamstring was feeling fine and I am making some improvements but the only place where I still feel pain is the part of the hamstring near the glute. My hamstring was warmed up then the graston technique was used, after that did a variety of ART techniques and then it came to a part where I am supposed to contract my hamstring downward when my leg is in the air while I am on my back and my chiro’s hands are resisting and today I couldn’t effectively do this and the chiro noticed this and did some more ART moves. At the end 2 peices of tape where put on my hamstring and then a cool pak was placed on it…my chiro said the peices of tape will support my hamstring and will help move the swelling that my hamstring has. Tomorrow I am going to Hang Clean and Push Press followed up with WG pull-ups and core and posterior chain work or might simply drag the sled heavy…

Your hamstring has swelling and you are doing hang cleans and posterior chain work, along with heavy sled dragging. Consider what is going on and how long you want recovery to be. I know when I only tweaked my hamstring during track season (not nearly as bad as your’s) it never fully recovered even w/ world class therapy until I simply stopped at the end of the season and ceased any hamstring work.