Gymnastics Strength vs Sprinters Strength

While flipping through the TV channels last night I ran across a circus show that had gymnast performing different trips… One I remember is a guy had his arms straight out while standing, body shaped like a T- from head to toes. He’d two other guys standing on both arm performing a balancing act.
My question is what’s the different strength level this athletes have?

Originally posted by Kenny Mac
While flipping through the TV channels last night I ran across a circus show that had gymnast performing different trips… One I remember is a guy had his arms straight out while standing, body shaped like a T- from head to toes. He’d two other guys standing on both arm performing a balancing act.
My question is what’s the different strength level this athletes have?

Tricks NOT TRIPS… my bad :frowning:

more isometric strnegth endurance at a guess

I was thinking the same but there’s a lot of explosion type
of muscles activities involved during the act.

Do you think Sprinters can use a certain amount of this strength
i.e. holding sprint mechanics after fatigue sets in?

well most of their explosiveness comes from their torso and midsection strength. So yes it would help.

off course they do a lot of plyometric type movements

Kenny, i’m glad you brought this up. I have a female long/triple jumper, who also competes in gymnastics. The thing I noticed with her is that she is pretty strong, but she’s not really explosive, relative to her strength. When we’re doing plyo’s or jump work period, I noticed that she can perform the tasks fine, but she doesn’t have that pop that all the others have. You would think that the nature of gymnastics would have her pretty explosive. And I also believe that the fashion in which gymnast run, screwed her form up pretty bad. You know how they always run with their arms down to the side, real stiff like. I only recently started training her and it took a while to correct all that. But it’s not totally fixed.

Do you think gymnast are stronger than they are explosive/powerful?

Originally posted by CoolColJ
more isometric strnegth endurance at a guess

CoolColj made a good point regarding their isometric strength levels. I’m currently do some research on sprinters and isometric strength during the drive phase (0-30m). The athlete who can hold themselves longer after 40 m usually wins. A sprinter you can analysis and see the isometric strength is D. Chambers. You can see his strength after 30 m because he doesn’t break form w/ his overall mechanics.

Good Point Treble :wink:

Dwain Chambers also has great smelling strength. You would NOT want to be downwind on the guy. Trust me!