Ground reaction force -assisted?

Question;

If somebody was to run with +5m per second wind, would their greater than usuall speed cuase higher ground reaction forces?(Would that help to strengthen the foot and achilles?)

Would it also help train the eccentric power of the hams and glutes seing as your knees would raise quicker at the higher running speed, and therefor the glutes-hams would have to work harder to stop knees raising too high?

I am considering that “wind assisted” sprints (or less resistance) may actually develope better strength qualities for sprinting than running in opposite direction of wind or “wind resistance runs”.

Summary;
A) 100m +5m per sec wind assist.
B) 100m - 5m per sec wind resist.
I believe scenario A is a better strength builder than B which may seem counter-intuitive- but think of ground reaction forces etc…

Ofcourse, 1 of the sprints could be done against the wind for neural potentiation, during the session so as not to ease off. Thoughts?

It’s overspeed … or sprint loading. Both should have a place in a sprint training.
Gain strength running into the wind, get sharp and quick running with it.

But isn’t speed considered the same as strength when it comes to sprinting? which is better, running with the wind or against?

i would think neither r good. i’ve always thought this kind of training is very silly, 4 the simple fact that u can’t control the wind with regards 2 direction and speed.

that’s y top class sprinters use a structured method of overspeed, namely: downhill sprints, high speed treadmills and other assisted methods.

studies have shown that overspeed training with speeds that r 2 exessive is not beneficial because the athlete will tend to overstide, this will increase ground reaction forces but that is because braking phase is increased. bottom line, terrible 4 motor programing.

Thanks Arnie, I’ll be more dilligent when I use it then. Shame I can’t contol the weather in windy Uk by the beach where I live. :slight_smile:

Run with the wind behind you- forget the other stuff.

does that mean that u trained ben johnson 2 run with the wind?

If you read through the training materials, you’ll see that we did this the majority of the time - unless he was stiff or sore, in which case he went into the wind.
The is something called neural patterning. It is no coincidence that athletes record a windy tie- and, when they get stronger, exactly equal that time, meaning they become strong enough to execute the existing neural pattern without the aiding wind.

is this the only form of overspeed u did with him or did u also use mechanical systems like donovan bailey’s high speed treadmill or any other simpler form.

This is deffinately along the same lines as my first thoughts on the subject.

how can u get a consistant controlable training stimulis with the wind variying both in speed and direction?